Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    Bravo you can do an image search:rolleyes:
    Yes, and the first hit on google images is the one most selected -logically this is the image most people would have in mind when they hear the word "frog march", bravo on further making a fool of yourself with this OTT crap.
    whatever vested interest you have with defending the honout of Ryanair.
    I am defending simple sensible reasonable behaviour.
    You were not there so could not possibly comment.
    I have seen similar being done. If you do not want anybody to challenge your irrational posts then there is an appropriate forum, the Ranting & Raving forum.
    keefg wrote: »
    This thread is for all rants to do with driving, motorists, pedestrians, cyclists or any activity on public roads that you want to rant about.

Rules - Read them carefully before posting!

Usual Boards rules apply (no personal abuse, racism etc etc.)

* No general sexist rants. If you have a specific rant involving a male or female driver then rant away, but do not just post "All women/men or crap drivers".

* Do not make comments about other Boards forums or specific members.

* Do not post against the rants.

* Do not try to explain or rationalise the road users behaviour. Rant or do not post.

* If you are not happy with a post then use the "Report Post" function - do not start an in-thread row.

* Single line rants may be deleted as discretion of the mods (unless they are very funny).

* No rants that generalise against a particular race behind the wheel.

* No quoting of another poster's rant to counter rant. Just say your piece without quoting.

* No chit chat, rants only!

Obey the rules or face the ban hammer!!

In there you will face no opposition to your complaints, as people who disagree with you would be banned.

march a person against his will by any method
    Yes, another good description, and I seriously doubt any other rational people who saw what happened would describe what happened as that -it would have been headline news if they did.
    The people involved had to volunteer and what if they failed or refused to comply. Your sent away home, or watch the plane take off from the boarding gate while your taking the high moral ground. Hardly satisfactory
    Perfectly satisfactory IMO, they know the rules. I am sick seeing these pricks going on with massive bags, many times I have had to hold my own bag since they allowed these assholes on with obviously oversized luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Just a few points on the baggage argument:

> Gate staff do not earn any commission or incentive for catching people for oversized bags at the gates. (This may exclude Stansted and Dublin, they are the biggest bases and usually are the strictest). If gate staff had a chance to earn money from catching people at the gate then they would be charging alot more people!

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from..

I know for a fact that Ryanair pays Servisair 40% of all charges collected by them on Ryanair's behalf.

My closest friend is a ground staff manager at Birmingham airport. He told me this himself. It's part of his job to make sure his staff are assessing each and every passenger for any hand luggage which looks to be in excess of the allowed weight / measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from..

I know for a fact that Ryanair pays Servisair 40% of all charges collected by them on Ryanair's behalf.

My closest friend is a ground staff manager at Birmingham airport. He told me this himself. It's part of his job to make sure his staff are assessing each and every passenger for any hand luggage which looks to be in excess of the allowed weight / measurements.
    Yes, but the STAFF do not get any commission. That is what Irishdudedave posted.

clancyoo7, were all the babies and children crying from fear of the evil Ryanair staff as they frog marched and tortured their innocent victims who merely wanted to take a flight to see their loved ones?
    Your posts sound like The Daily Star newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I fly Ryanair quite a lot. I like them, obey the clearly defined and understandable rules about cabbin baggage and its great.

Turn up with an oversized suitcase, some airport shopping and a handbag and you will have problems.

I have never been rudely spoken to by a member of Ryanair staff but I have seen passangers fly off the handle with staff becuase they cant obey the rules that the vast majority of people can.

And I have seen people "frog marched" from the queue to see if their bags were too big and I thought thats clever means we can get out of here quicker. If that embarrases you then maybe you shouldnt have left the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

axer wrote: »
    Yes, but the STAFF do not get any commission. That is what Irishdudedave posted.

clancyoo7, were all the babies and children crying from fear of the evil Ryanair staff as they frog marched and tortured their innocent victims who merely wanted to take a flight to see their loved ones?
    Your posts sound like The Daily Star newspaper.

That your interpretation not mine i never mentioned anything about evil ryanair staff. I said it was OTT at the airport. in fact it is your quote sounds like a passage from daily star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

amcalester wrote: »
    I fly Ryanair quite a lot. I like them, obey the clearly defined and understandable rules about cabbin baggage and its great.

Turn up with an oversized suitcase, some airport shopping and a handbag and you will have problems.

I have never been rudely spoken to by a member of Ryanair staff but I have seen passangers fly off the handle with staff becuase they cant obey the rules that the vast majority of people can.

And I have seen people "frog marched" from the queue to see if their bags were too big and I thought thats clever means we can get out of here quicker. If that embarrases you then maybe you shouldnt have left the house.

Well i suppose like a lot of experiences in life they are subjective to the person and mean different things to different people. I feel the same way about people bringing big bags on as cabin luggage, it's not fair, like i said in previous post's. Once you took the Dublin airport incident out of it. The whole Ryanair experience was perfect. To suggest i should not leave the house is laughable, and by the very fact i am highlighting the issue I hope it will prevent people from binging on large suitcases onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Heathrow, Aer Lingus gate... 3 UK security officers regularly do 'random' baggage checks at the boarding desk. A total of 5-6 people from each flight are invited (but don't dare refuse) to leave the queue and have their bags opened and searched in full view of the other passengers. Having you bag checked for size doesn't even register on the embarrassment scale.

I have been travelling with Aer Lingus from Heathrow every Friday evening for nearly two years now and have never seen anybody "invited" to leave the queue and have their bags opened in full view or otherwise.

What utter nonsense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

FYI - I bought a €10 pre-paid mastercard (it's a gift card from a local shopping centre), and when I tried to use it to book a Ryanair flight, it was declined. Presumably because it's not tied into your name and billing address.

eth0_ wrote: »
    FYI - I bought a €10 pre-paid mastercard (it's a gift card from a local shopping centre), and when I tried to use it to book a Ryanair flight, it was declined. Presumably because it's not tied into your name and billing address.

Dundrum?

Dundrum?

Scotch Hall in Drogheda. But they're both from Newcastle Building Society, so neither will work.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Scotch Hall in Drogheda. But they're both from Newcastle Building Society, so neither will work.

Thanks. Are you sure though? Because my employer gives me a €250 Perfect Card every year. I called Perfect Card up to see if I could top-up my Perfect Card once the value has been spent. They said I can't, but they did say that the Dundrum Shopping Centre issues Perfect Cards under their own brand (as does The Quays shopping centre in Newry).

So, I think the cards issued in Scotch Hall, Drogheda which are issued by Newcastle Building Society as you say, are different from the cards issued in Dundrum. They're not issued by Perfect Card anyway (at least, from what Perfect Card were telling me).

So maybe, just maybe, a Dundrum card might still be ok for fee-free Ryanair purchases..

So, I think the cards issued in Scotch Hall, Drogheda which are issued by Newcastle Building Society as you say, are different from the cards issued in Dundrum. They're not issued by Perfect Card anyway (at least, from what Perfect Card were telling me).

The Drogheda and Dundrum cards are both issued by the same bank, Newcastle Building Society.

No online payment processor is going to accept a credit card with no associated name and billing address for fraud and money laundering reasons. I should have thought of that before I bought the card!

I'm in the process of getting a card from Neteller. You can top it up with a credit card or depositing money into their Barclay's account in Dublin. They seem to have the lowest charges of all the pre-paid cards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just got this email from Entropay:
    Ryanair recently announced that Visa Electron payment cards, such as EntroPay’s Virtual Visa, will start attracting a £5 administration charge effective 1 January 2010 and MasterCard Prepaid cards will become the sole form of free payment.

Good news! You don’t need to seek another payment method in order to avoid future fees. Simply upgrade to an EntroPay Plastic MasterCard!

Use EntroPay Plastic not only at Ryanair but anywhere MasterCard is accepted.*

Upgrade Now to Win £100!

Register for an EntroPay Plastic MasterCard by 31st December 2009 and we’ll enter your name in a prize draw. Five lucky winners will each walk away with £100. Just think – your next Ryanair flight - or flights - could be on us!

Already have plastic? Load your plastic card by 31st December 2009 and you'll be entered in the prize draw! Winners will be contacted by e-mail on 6th January 2010.

Click here to get started.

Kind regards,

EntroPay

* Accounts can be opened in GBP or EUR – either currency is accepted for payment at Ryanair without the assessment of administration charges.

It costs £4.99 to get the card though, and it's not a virtual one either.

FYI - Ryanair's booking system is 'suddenly' having problems recognising Neteller's Net+ virtual mastercard. It thinks it is a normal mastercard credit card. I've been on the moneysavingexpert forums and people had been using it ok but suddenly it's stopped working. I spoke to neteller last night and they said Ryanair hadn't even attempted to authorise my card when I tried repeatedly to book a flight with my Net+.

Hope it's sorted soon...!

Faith wrote: »
    I just got this email from Entropay:

It costs £4.99 to get the card though, and it's not a virtual one either.
    What kind of charges are associated with it? As in how much do you actually save?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

axer wrote: »
    What kind of charges are associated with it? As in how much do you actually save?

I don't know TBH. Once I saw I had to pay to get it, I didn't go any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Colette1712

Hi, I booked flghts with ryanair a while back,was supposed to be flying from Kerry to London for my birthday from 16th-21st Dec, but now I cant go cos I have to work. I wanted to change flights but the change fee is ridiculous,it'd be cheaper to just book a new flight,esp since I dont know when I'd go instead + I figure I can't cancel,right? My flights cost 80 euro, am I just basically kissing that money goodbye cos I can go now?
    Anyone know?

Thanks

it'd be cheaper to just book a new flight
    Thats why they have that fee.
    I figure I can't cancel,right?
    You can cancel but you probably wouldn't end getting back anything.
    My flights cost 80 euro, am I just basically kissing that money goodbye cos I can go now?
    Yes.

Feck!
    I'd change flight if it didnt cost so much.Bloody ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

i am guessing if you cancel it with them they will resell it! so....

• Advertisement

coco06 wrote: »
    i am guessing if you cancel it with them they will resell it! so....

They dont have a no show fee do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They dont have a no show fee do they?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

Booked flights and went to england 2 weekends ago with ryanair and brought my driving licence "no problem sir here is your boarding pass enjoy ur flight" .

merc998 wrote: »
    Booked flights and went to england 2 weekends ago with ryanair and brought my driving licence "no problem sir here is your boarding pass enjoy ur flight" .

You sure?

From ryanair website-
    Ryanair fares are fully changeable in respect of flight/dates/times/routes and names (up to 4 hours prior to original flight departure) however fares, fees and/or charges are non-refundable. Government taxes are the only element of taxes, fees and charges which are refundable. Government tax refunds are subject to a reasonable administration fee. If the refund amount is less than the applicable refund administration charge then no refund will be made. Government tax refund requests must be made within one month from the booked travel date.

what does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can change flight details - this incurs a cost.

No fare is refundable - but you can apply for the government taxes to be refunded. This however will incur a fee. If the fee is greater than the taxes, then you won't be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carpy

it costs €25 per person per flight to change flight (+ difference in fare). If the €80 was return flights for one you will have €30 towards other flights. Sounds reasonable enough to me

When I try changing flights,with the 50 charge, even with the 30 towardsflights it ends up cheaper to book a whole new ticket.

I'm not surprised by any of this,I mean its Ryanair , its not like I expect fantastic service, I just find it annoying,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carpy

You have a thirty euro credit towards your new flights. This option is always going to be thirty euro cheaper than booking a new flight. Are you comparing the exact same flights?

• Advertisement

Just to re-iterate to people:

Neteller "pre-paid" mastercard does NOT work with Ryanair. It is recognised as a Credit card by Ryanair. I've tried to get their support staff to sort it out but they told me to ring Ryanair. I told them I wasn't going to ring a premium rate number to sort this out for them when they are falsely advertising that their card works with Ryanair and would be closing my account with them in the next few days if it's not resolved. They didn't bother to reply!

Has anyone used Entropay's pre-paid card successfully?

Advertisement