Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Hi

How strict is Ryanair's policy on the 'under 16 minors'?..
    A friend of mine is 3 months short of being 16 and has flights already booked... (her parents skipped over the minors policy I guess)
    Any way of her travelling alone, considering that her parents (at least one of them) will be with her at the airport?

I read the T&Cs on the website, and from that.. doesn't look so good.

Help? Any possible indemnity forms that could help?
    Travelling from Norway to Dublin, if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Hoku

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I would make her look 21 and say nothing. If yiouraise the issue they will deny you. I'd go as far as to answer with '17 next birthday' if the question is raised as confusion may get her on to the plane.

Or you could toe the line and tell them.

Well she does look older than 16, so that lie would easily pass. BUT.. Isn't there a date of birth on the Boarding Pass? I can't actually remember.
    I recall reading somewhere that the staff at the gates don't pay too much attention to the passes (somebody was checked onto a flight to Ireland, even though it said ICeland on the pass :-S )
    Having said that, I got screwed over last time because I didn't get the boarding pass stamped at check-in (Non EU/EEA). All the documents were in order, just overlooked the part about the stamp. Which leads me to say that they do check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hoku wrote: »
    Well she does look older than 16, so that lie would easily pass. BUT.. Isn't there a date of birth on the Boarding Pass? I can't actually remember.
    I recall reading somewhere that the staff at the gates don't pay too much attention to the passes (somebody was checked onto a flight to Ireland, even though it said ICeland on the pass :-S )
    Having said that, I got screwed over last time because I didn't get the boarding pass stamped at check-in (Non EU/EEA). All the documents were in order, just overlooked the part about the stamp. Which leads me to say that they do check.

There is no date of birth on the boarding pass, just the date of expiry of whatever ID you have selected.

Most check in staff from my experience, and i fly a lot, don't pay much attention, they just look at the name and make sure the ID matches this.

I've got through before with my surname spelled wrong, it was missing 4 letters from the end, i was not going to raise the issue beforehand as i knew they would charge me to "fix" the problem.

Like another poster said, i would not raise the issue with them because then there is a chance they won't let her on. I'd be pretty sure of them not knowing she is under 16, i don't think they will look at her date of birth on the passport.

Thanks for the quick replies!
    Fingers crossed now that they don't check the dob. in the passport on the way over.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Did a search on this thread but didn't see my scenario covered.

Need to book a flight tonight as special offer ends at midnight (no taxes for the flights we want - a saving of a few hundred for our group of 6).

Just realised my sons passport (he's 4) expires 2 days before we're due to return. I have plenty of time to get him a new one as the flights aren't for another 7 weeks. However - would appreciate advice on whether I would get away with using his existing passport number and a fake date and then call and ask them to change his passport details when we get a new one (I've read here that they do that for free over the phone).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Plates wrote: »
    Did a search on this thread but didn't see my scenario covered.

Need to book a flight tonight as special offer ends at midnight (no taxes for the flights we want - a saving of a few hundred for our group of 6).

Just realised my sons passport (he's 4) expires 2 days before we're due to return. I have plenty of time to get him a new one as the flights aren't for another 7 weeks. However - would appreciate advice on whether I would get away with using his existing passport number and a fake date and then call and ask them to change his passport details when we get a new one (I've read here that they do that for free over the phone).

Thanks.

You shouldn't need the passport or expiration date to book flights, you can do that any time up to they day before the flights.

When I book my flights Spain and UK on booking time I only need the name as it's in the passport, I enter the Passport numbers, expiration dates, etc couple of days before the flight just when doing the online check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

nava wrote: »
    You shouldn't need the passport or expiration date to book flights, you can do that any time up to they day before the flights.

When I book my flights Spain and UK on booking time I only need the name as it's in the passport, I enter the Passport numbers, expiration dates, etc couple of days before the flight just when doing the online check in.

Excellent news - thanks for the quick reply! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

its only if the crountry that you are going to has a visa system in place eg usa .that is when the exp date is effected it neeeds to be valid for 6 months after the date of your flight.

i woulent bother ringing them to tell them eithere it ill cos t you 100to change it.say nothing till ya hear more ===============

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

naughto wrote: »
    its only if the crountry that you are going to has a visa system in place eg usa .that is when the exp date is effected it neeeds to be valid for 6 months after the date of your flight.

Depends entirely on the country in question. In the case of the USA, you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

I have booked flights to London with the wrong dates and need to change them. On the website it states that to change flight details costs €25 per person per flight (€250 in my case as there are 5 of us!) I will be booking new flights that are €100 cheaper than the changing fee. Do I have any comeback in cancelling the original flights and receiving a refund from them. Is there anything I can claim back at all. Would appreciate advice or if anyone has had this happen to them before.

Many thanks.

Kelvin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can only claim back the tax portion of the airfare. You will sacrifice the rest. Ryanair also charge an administration fee for processing the refund.

From the Ryanair website
    Can I apply for a refund for my unused flight?

All Ryanair fares are fully changeable in respect of flight/dates/times/routes and names (up to 4 hours prior to original flight departure) however fares, fees and/or charges are non-refundable. Government taxes are the only element of taxes, fees and charges which are refundable. Government tax refunds are subject to a reasonable administration fee. If the refund amount is less than the applicable refund administration charge then no refund will be made. Government tax refund requests must be made within one month from the booked travel date.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Thanks for your reply.

Thought as much. Was hoping someone had managed to cancel flights. I suppose its all part of their low-cost plan. At least i'll always remember to double and triple check my details the next time a book flights. An expensive lesson nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lads, quick question regarding booked flights and the current volcano issue!

I'm due to fly Dublin-Fuerteventura on Saturday morning at 7:20. Assuming my flight is cancelled........

I had intended to buy travel insurance today from BOI (cheaper than Ryanair) but now I'm not too sure what to do. If I do not buy insurance, can I still get a full refund from Ryanair? Or would I be just better off purchasing insurance regardless?

I ask because if insurance was not required to get a refund, I would rather not buy it at this late stage seeing as it would probably go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You'll get a refund. You never need insurance to cover your legal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cheers. Thought as much. One of the girls in the office here thought otherwise though so it had me doubting. Fingers crossed this will all blow over by tomorrow afternoon anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Just heard on TV3 news you will get a refund but not compensation. Double check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Fizman wrote: »
    Lads, quick question regarding booked flights and the current volcano issue!

I'm due to fly Dublin-Fuerteventura on Saturday morning at 7:20. Assuming my flight is cancelled........

I had intended to buy travel insurance today from BOI (cheaper than Ryanair) but now I'm not too sure what to do. If I do not buy insurance, can I still get a full refund from Ryanair? Or would I be just better off purchasing insurance regardless?

I ask because if insurance was not required to get a refund, I would rather not buy it at this late stage seeing as it would probably go to waste.

No travel insurance will cover you for this event if purchased after it occurs:eek:

It is like crashing your car and then deciding to take out a policy of insurance and expecting to claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

lavine7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Thought as much. Was hoping someone had managed to cancel flights. I suppose its all part of their low-cost plan. At least i'll always remember to double and triple check my details the next time a book flights. An expensive lesson nonetheless!
    It is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just saw that all Ryanair flights have been cancelled until friday at 1pm. I was supposed to be flying from Cork to Dublin that morning and I'd be affected by this decision. Ryanair airs website states that.....

In addition, Ryanair has decided to cancel all of its flights between Ireland and the UK until 1300hrs on Friday 23rd April in order to use these UK and Irish based aircraft to operate extra flights from the UK to Continental Europe; and from Ireland to Continental Europe from 1300hrs on Thurs 22nd April to clear any backlog of disrupted passengers travelling between Continental Europe, the UK and Ireland.

Now I can understand if the flights have been cancelled due to safety concerns, but this seems like they're cancelling the flights owing to logistics. On matt cooper they stated that they'll only refund the cost of the flight, surely if the airspace is okayed on friday they should be liable for compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Just saw that all Ryanair flights have been cancelled until friday at 1pm. I was supposed to be flying from Cork to Dublin that morning and I'd be affected by this decision. Ryanair airs website states that.....

In addition, Ryanair has decided to cancel all of its flights between Ireland and the UK until 1300hrs on Friday 23rd April in order to use these UK and Irish based aircraft to operate extra flights from the UK to Continental Europe; and from Ireland to Continental Europe from 1300hrs on Thurs 22nd April to clear any backlog of disrupted passengers travelling between Continental Europe, the UK and Ireland.

Now I can understand if the flights have been cancelled due to safety concerns, but this seems like they're cancelling the flights owing to logistics. On matt cooper they stated that they'll only refund the cost of the flight, surely if the airspace is okayed on friday they should be liable for compensation.

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Just been revised by Ryanair... All Irish and UK flights will resume from 05:00 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

Ryanair will compensate stranded passengers

Thursday, 22 April 2010 11:00
    Ryanair has said it will comply with EU regulations that require airlines to reimburse passengers stranded by the recent travel chaos.
    The EU rules state that airlines must cover - to a reasonable level - the expenses of these passengers who have receipts.
    In a statement reversing his stated position yesterday, Ryanair's chief executive Michael O'Leary said the airline would comply with the regulations.
    Advertisement

He described the regulations as absurd and said the company would continue to campaign to change them.
    The airline said that extra staff have been drafted in to deal with the expenses claims.
    Passengers are asked to send in copies of their receipts when they return home. It is hoped that they will be re-funded within a number of weeks.
    Meanwhile, airlines are putting on extra flights today to try to clear the backlog of passengers stranded by the volcanic ash cloud, as schedules begin to return to normal.
    Aer Lingus has confirmed that all its flights between Ireland and Britain, Europe and the US are scheduled to operate today.
    Ryanair has said all its flights in northern Europe will resume this morning, with the exception of flights between Ireland and the Britain, which will resume tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Go from Rosslare to Pembroke Dock. There is a lot less hassle there.
    All you need is your boarding pass and some form of ID. (I recommend either a Passport or a Drivers License)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Go from Rosslare to Pembroke Dock. There is a lot less hassle there.
    All you need is your boarding pass and some form of ID. (I recommend either a Passport or a Drivers License)

You username is somewhat apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

You username is somewhat apt.

It works though. No messing around on the ferry, unless you drive a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Hello folks,

I applied for a refund like 6 days ago for my 2 cancelled flights. I'm just wondering has anyone that's used a 3v voucher on ryan air in recent times been refunded?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Lamposts wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I applied for a refund like 6 days ago for my 2 cancelled flights. I'm just wondering has anyone that's used a 3v voucher on ryan air in recent times been refunded?

Cheers

I would suggest that you email 3v and tell them you are expecting a refund on your 3v voucher. Sometimes if the voucher is out of date it can cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Has anyone had their volcano refunds yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Question, will i need middle name when im booking a flight?
    edit: just searched google and saw its not :)

Advertisement