Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah but it doesn't touch you or anything.... You can still lift your beverage to your mouth etc.

IMO it the back of the seat comes into "dead space" which you don't use anyway. Imo it is just a perception that it is affecting you, in actuality nothing changes.....aside from something being in a space that you do not use...
    it does get quite within your "bubble" though. would effect reading say a newspaper, working on a laptop. Also, give you the pleasant view of the top of someones head a few inches from your nose. makes it much more inconvenient for you, or anyone beside you, to get our of their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

zuroph wrote: »
    it does get quite within your "bubble" though. would effect reading say a newspaper, working on a laptop. Also, give you the pleasant view of the top of someones head a few inches from your nose. makes it much more inconvenient for you, or anyone beside you, to get our of their seats.

Hmmm :rolleyes: Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this Zuroph!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

But are plane seats not designed to go back with out interfering with the person behind's space????
    They make it very uncomfortable on my knees. The hinge the seat move back on is lower than my knees so it digs into my knees giving me even less space.

Then on top of that I watch stuff on my laptop when flying which is very awkward with very little room due to the seat in front pushed back. I have had ignorant f'uckers push back on top of my laptop with full force putting pressure my laptop screen which has the potential to damage the screen all because the c'unts were too selfish to look behind first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

axer wrote: »
    If I was going on the airplane with a group of people I would get one person to pay for priority boarding to hold the seats for everyone else in the group.

Pretty sure you can't - you either have to but priority for everyone in the booking or no-one, it won't let you confirm otherwise.

Though you could make a separate booking for one person with priority booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOH wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can't - you either have to but priority for everyone in the booking or no-one, it won't let you confirm otherwise.

You should be able to buy priority boarding in the airport at a desk, on my last flight 3 weeks they were selling them at the gate. I think in that case u can buy just for 1 person.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Thats what I would be doing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't understand what people's issue with seats going back is :confused:

Don't get me started on people who recline their seats on airplanes. The best thing that Ryanair ever did was removing the incline button. I wish a few more airlines would follow suit.

I don't recline my seat as I don't want to take up the space of the person behind me. I also don't want someone else coming into my space. With the cramped seating on most modern airlines, it's hard to keep some space around yourself without some fat f*ecker deciding he wants some of your space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

When my youngest child was 7 months, we were seated behind a family who were occupying spacious emergency exit seats. The woman I was sitting behind (while baby was sitting on my lap) reclined her seat and baby started kicking. She got up and roared at me to stop the baby kicking. I told her it would be difficult considering her seat was on top of us despite all the room she had in front of her, but that I would try my best!
    The rest of the flight was a struggle, but I was a bit smug when she struggled to get her suitcase off the carousel and I could have helped her, instead I glared at her then walked off:D

So kudos to Ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

On 23/12 - I was meant to fly from Dublin to Barcelona and on consequently on the same day from Barcelona to Bratislava, both flights with Ryanair. However, Ryanair has just sent me an email saying they had cancelled the flight from Barcelona to Bratislava and claiming that I can get a full refund for the cancelled route. As a consumer do I have the right to get a full refund for the first flight from Dublin to Barcelona as well? This is very incovenient, because my final destination is Bratislava and I no longer have a need for the first flight. Could you advise on this issue? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As a consumer do I have the right to get a full refund for the first flight from Dublin to Barcelona as well?
    Nope. As far as Ryanair are concerned your 2 flights are separate bookings. They are not cancelling the Dublin-Barcelona leg so why should they refund you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

radooo wrote: »
    On 23/12 - I was meant to fly from Dublin to Barcelona and on consequently on the same day from Barcelona to Bratislava, both flights with Ryanair. However, Ryanair has just sent me an email saying they had cancelled the flight from Barcelona to Bratislava and claiming that I can get a full refund for the cancelled route. As a consumer do I have the right to get a full refund for the first flight from Dublin to Barcelona as well? This is very incovenient, because my final destination is Bratislava and I no longer have a need for the first flight. Could you advise on this issue? Thanks.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/can-i-book-a-connecting-flight-with-ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

thanks guys - i was rightly afraid this would be the case ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Flying to Edinburgh tomorrow with Ryanair from Dublin.

Brought a small wheel case with me last time, about March, which matched the dimensions close enough, and never had any trouble with it. It's about 23/4 cm depth, but you can squash it, if it has to be 20cm.

Then I was told that there were new regs on carry-on suitcases. Someone goes around with a wire thing, and tests everyone's luggage. They're superstrict about it, now.

Is this true? Will I be allowed squeeze the thing, if they use a special measure at the boarding gate? It fits in the overheard compartment with room to spare.

Has anyone used Ryanair in the past few weeks, and found this a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Flying to Edinburgh tomorrow with Ryanair from Dublin.

Brought a small wheel case with me last time, about March, which matched the dimensions close enough, and never had any trouble with it. It's about 23/4 cm depth, but you can squash it, if it has to be 20cm.

Then I was told that there were new regs on carry-on suitcases. Someone goes around with a wire thing, and tests everyone's luggage. They're superstrict about it, now.

Is this true? Will I be allowed squeeze the thing, if they use a special measure at the boarding gate? It fits in the overheard compartment with room to spare.

Has anyone used Ryanair in the past few weeks, and found this a problem?

The staff that check your boarding pass are now checking every bag to see if it fits in the size yoke they use. It wont matter to them if you tell them it fit last time, you still have to beat it into the steel thing before you can go on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

They are also weighing bags at the gate. The staff are doing all this with an air of enjoyment - clearly on commission for any additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

The staff that check your boarding pass are now checking every bag to see if it fits in the size yoke they use. It wont matter to them if you tell them it fit last time, you still have to beat it into the steel thing before you can go on your way.
    But you're allowed beat it?

And if the dimensions when you squish it comply with the measurements they give on the site, you will in fact be able to squish it into the thing? As in, they don't have a smaller thing than the dimensions they specify on the site?

I shouldn't really have to ask that last question, but I don't trust them..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

radiofoot wrote: »
    They are also weighing bags at the gate. The staff are doing all this with an air of enjoyment - clearly on commission for any additional charges.

flew with them to Alicante a few months ago, coming back a girl was told her bag was too heavy, it fit in the bag checker thingy they have at the desk, so she stepped aside, pulled out a load of tshirts and sweaters and put them all on her, she looked like a marshmallow lol the woman on the desk told her she "couldnt do that" and the woman just told her to watch her, as soon as she was on the tarmac she whacked everything back in the case, fair play to her lol

It just goes to show the stupidity of their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

radiofoot wrote: »

and why not?
    it keeps the prices lower for the people who follow the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Not always. I flew to and from Gatwick with Ryanair last week, and saw very few bags being checked in either airport.

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    It just goes to show the stupidity of their rules.
    but it doesn't really. Ryanair just want people to get onto the plane without holding other people up. If a bag is over-sized or over-weight then it can slow boarding down. The majority of the people just pay up to check the bag in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kelle wrote: »
    When my youngest child was 7 months, we were seated behind a family who were occupying spacious emergency exit seats. The woman I was sitting behind (while baby was sitting on my lap) reclined her seat and baby started kicking. She got up and roared at me to stop the baby kicking. I told her it would be difficult considering her seat was on top of us despite all the room she had in front of her, but that I would try my best!
    The rest of the flight was a struggle, but I was a bit smug when she struggled to get her suitcase off the carousel and I could have helped her, instead I glared at her then walked off:D

So kudos to Ryanair!

They never have reclining seats on any flights I take. You're a lucky one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I was flying from Luton to Knock lately with one check in bag and one hand luggage. As my check in bag was a few kg overweight the silly gow on the Ryanair desk wanted to charge me but I said no way I'd just put the excess in my hand luggage. Then she asked to weigh that before I had transferred the excess and it just borderline so she said I couldn't do it. I just walked off with my two bags to the nearest loo, took out a few of the heavier/larger items from each bag and asked a friend to mind them, marched straight back to the front of the queue with my new lightweight bags. Rude maybe, but it was worth it for the look on her face when she weighed them both and they were fine. Then back to the loo and loaded up the excess. Heavy bag alright but I managed and they didn't check weight after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

On recent Ryanair flights I notice the flight attendants making a huge effort to flog the Ryanair scratch cards. One does an "I'm your friend, you want to help charities don't you?" routine before they pass through the cabin with the hard sell.
    My problem is that they are now pushing the helping charities angle. "Like to help our charities sir?" Personally, I consider this to be just a ruthless and cynical ploy to seperate punters from their cash. How much do the charities get?
    I asked the attendant and she admited she didn't know but said something like -if it was 25% they would be doing very well!

I think the operative word is IF.

If Ryanair is giving 25% I'll eat a scratch card myself. Anyone know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

lubie76 wrote: »
    I was flying from Luton to Knock lately with one check in bag and one hand luggage. As my check in bag was a few kg overweight the silly gow on the Ryanair desk wanted to charge me but I said no way I'd just put the excess in my hand luggage. Then she asked to weigh that before I had transferred the excess and it just borderline so she said I couldn't do it. I just walked off with my two bags to the nearest loo, took out a few of the heavier/larger items from each bag and asked a friend to mind them, marched straight back to the front of the queue with my new lightweight bags. Rude maybe, but it was worth it for the look on her face when she weighed them both and they were fine. Then back to the loo and loaded up the excess. Heavy bag alright but I managed and they didn't check weight after that.

How was she a silly cow? From what I can gather, you wanted to bring bags which totalled almost 28kg onto a Ryanair flight when you only paid for 25kg!!
    You did read the rules of your purchase didn't you?

How was she a silly cow? From what I can gather, you wanted to bring bags which totalled almost 28kg onto a Ryanair flight when you only paid for 25kg!!
    You did read the rules of your purchase didn't you?

She was obviously a "silly cow" for not realising that lubie76 is much too important to have to follow the same rules as the rest of us lesser mortals!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

nompere wrote: »
    She was obviously a "silly cow" for not realising that lubie76 is much too important to have to follow the same rules as the rest of us lesser mortals!

And since they can tell who checked in each individual passenger there could of been trouble made later if the bag was weighed at the gate for the passenger services agent that checked lubie76 in.

I worked for a company contracted by Ryanair for a few months and it does happen. One of the girls got a warning as Ryanair made a complaint regarding her leaving any sort of hand luggage go unnoticed at the check in desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I dont really understand the luggage weight thing ?
    Is it for fuel ecomony - so they know how much weight there will be in advance ?
    But the dont ask for your body weight when your booking ?

For example my sis weighs about 6-8 stone heavier than me. Coming back from Italy I had overweight baggage. It was only 1 kg & the girl was super about it . But sis wasnt charged for being heavier...... Im not being cruel here but whats a kg or 2 in baggage weight when i maybe 10 kg lighter than the next person ....

They use average weights to calculate the passenger weight loading. The need the luggage weight also so the captain can work out the fuel needed and for safety reasons.

• Advertisement

There was a time when passengers and their baggage were routinely weighed at check in.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/Then--Now-A-Weighty-Matter.html

As Haddockman says they use tables now, and those tables get updated from time to time.

Advertisement