Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Same in Brussels Charleroi. Apparently the duty free shops were not best pleased at Ryanair so, at that airport at least, Ryanair are made to allow people to bring on their purchases in addition to their normal hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 etc1985

Hey, I am disgusted to read an email from ryanair saying they wont refund me for my flight which was cancelled due to snow on december 23! after 6 hours delay in brussels charleroi they cancelled the flight. it was a nightmare. transport back to brussels city looked impossible. the only option was to subsequently apply for flight refund and i booked a new flight with different airline to get home, but only on december 28. NOW THEY WONT EVEN PAY ME FOR THE FLIGHT THEY CANCELLED. how can we tolerate this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Why are they not refunding you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Was there not a EU court ruling at the time of the volcano troubles that if Ryanair cancel a flight the must pay for food and accommodation and give you a new flight home asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

http://www.eccireland.ie/news.php?article=76

I'm no expert but I do believe at the very least you're entitled to a full refund, providing your flight was cancelled and no alternative flights were provided.

Interesting response from them as my Brother and his girlfriend ended up in a very similar situation, it's worth noting tickets and bookings were done in her name under French citizenship. (this may or may not be relevant) They were refunded in full and also for expenses incurred due to the cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

etc1985 wrote: »
    how can we tolerate this company.

'we' don't tolerate the company - that is to say there are some of us prepared to pay extra so that we're not treated like cattle and/or accused of lying when 'we' complain about sh1te service.

You have heard about how Ryanair treat their customers, you have heard Michael O'Leary on radio and TV accuse people of lying when they claim that planes took off leaving passengers behind because they weren't told which gate to go to (Joe Duffy this week), how whole families have been abandoned in crappy airports in the middle of nowhere (every other week), how much more does it need to convince you not to fly Ryanair?

Brussels has an international airport, next time pay the extra and fly Aer Lingus. I realise that there are airports where you have no choice but to fly Ryanair but you do have a choice going to Brussels.

BTW there is a 'sticky' Ryanair forum at the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into the megathread

BTW - my partner's flight with them was cancelled due to snow and he received a full refund. Is there anything else to this story?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I read is the paper today they lost a case where a customer took them to court for repayment of a e40 penalty for reprinting his boarding card for him. Case taken in spain I believe. Court ruled that providing a boarding card is part of the contract and they cant charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

was thinking about this, the most they'll do is insist on a booking form, and issue the boarding card then, as a work around for it. no obligation to supply the booking form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, this is what they said
    “If the problem is the €40 charge for this service, we’ll simply stop offering the service. That, of course, will mean the passenger who arrives without a boarding card cannot fly.”

• Advertisement

that wont wash with the judge, the argument put forward was that the onus to supply a boarding card has traditionally fallen on the airline. so the ruling is that they should have to supply a boarding card as part of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

zuroph wrote: »
    that wont wash with the judge, the argument put forward was that the onus to supply a boarding card has traditionally fallen on the airline. so the ruling is that they should have to supply a boarding card as part of the service.

They do, you just have to print it out. I wonder is there a rule anywhere that says they have to supply a boarding card at the airport?

It's one of the cost-cutting measures that allows them to sell cheap flights. I'm no fan of Ryanair, but I accept what they are and the limitations of flying with them. You accept non-existent customer service and big penalties for breaking their rules as part of the deal.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Will Ryanair appeal, or will they stop providing the service and wait for somebody else to bring them to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

flikflak wrote: »
    I recently flew from Bristol to Dublin. There was a sign at Bristol airport saying that you could have duty free IN ADDITION to your one cabin bag on Ryanair.

So as I had a pair of boots in a normal carrier bag as well as my carry on bag I went and bought something small at the Duty free (2or 3 quid) and got a duty free plastic bag. Popped the bag with the boots in into the new duty free carrier bag and no bother at the gate.

I will be keeping said plastic bag to take with me again and use if I fly from Bristol.

Have also seen this a a few other RA airports (I flew back from Girona with a bag full of booze in addition to my carry on bag - its so cheap I could not leave it there!!). Must be because the duty free shops were losing out big time where people were not allowed to take duty free on as an extra bag.

You cannot get Duty Free on internal EU flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

These shops will still sell you booze and other goods at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You cannot get Duty Free on internal EU flights.
    I think it's safe to assume the poster was talking about duty free shops in the traditional sense.

Of course there are some regions in the EU where you can buy duty free whilst travelling to another EU country. The Canaries and Gibraltar are two such examples, there are a number of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are not part of the orignal reason for the EU - economics
    Which countries are part of the European Union?

The EU includes the following 27 countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Balearic Islands - Mallorca, Ibiza and Menorca), Sweden, the Netherlands, the UK.

There are a number of other islands or territories which, despite being within the “footprint” of the EU, or being sovereign states of those 27 members of the EU, are not within the tax territory of the EU. This means that whenever you are flying to those countries/areas listed below, you can buy relevant goods at “Duty Free” prices.

The primary destinations are: The Canary Islands - Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura (these are part of Spain), the Channel Islands - Jersey & Guernsey and Gibraltar.

http://www.worlddutyfree.com/information/tax-and-duty-free-shopping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Hi All,

I sent the following letter off to RyanAir compensation department in Dublin airport on the 4th of January. I believe according to NOTICE OF YOUR RIGHTS IN THE EVENT OF DENIED BOARDING, FLIGHT DELAY OR FLIGHT CANCELLATION – Version 8, link here ... http://www.ryanair.com/doc/faqs/eu261-en.pdf

that I am entitled to compensation, however may be not because the cancellation was due to weather, I see they have updated the doc to version 9 on the 14th.

To whom it concerns

During the recent bad weather I was due to travel with Ryanair on Thu, 23/December/2010 Flight 229 Depart STN at 2045 and arrive DUB at 2200. My Reservation number was xxxxxx. This flight was delayed and then cancelled.

However I managed to get a flight from Liverpool to Cork & rebook my flight online using the same reservation number on flight FR9895 on the following day.

This meant I had to travel by train to Liverpool at a cost of £65.20 (Sterling) & book a hotel at Liverpool Airport for the night of the 23rd at a cost of £59.00 (Sterling).

Under section 3 “RIGHT TO CARE” of the “NOTICE OF YOUR RIGHTS IN THE EVENT OF DENIED BOARDING, FLIGHT DELAY OR FLIGHT CANCELLATION – Version 8” document, I believe I am entitled to a full refund of both the train ticket & the hotel given that the alternative flight on offer was a day later on the 24th and in a different airport. That is a total of £124.20(Sterling).

• The train ticket was bought with cash and a receipt/ticket is enclosed.
    • The hotel was booked online with a credit card and a receipt is also attached with a section of my visa bill showing the charge by “gosimply.com” for the Hampton by Hilton hotel at John Lennon Liverpool airport. The value on the visa card is shown in Euro as €72.47.

Yours Sincerely,
    xxxxx.

If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to the rights set out below except when...

...we can prove that the cancellation is
    caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all
    reasonable measures had been taken by Ryanair,
    including but not limited to political
    instability, safety and security reasons, weather disruption...

I'm not sure if you'll get anything.

That's what I thought but in that case why did all the airlines (including Ryanair) offer:

a) refunds on cancelled flights
    or
    b) alternative flights (which is what I took) in this case.

If they can prove it was the weather that disrupted their flight schedule? According to that document they don't have to offer feck all if its weather related, now ryanir are hardly in the habit of offering anything for free if they can get away with it :confused:

FYI I fly Ryanair all the time and fine them fine, just trying to figure out if I'm entitled or not to some refunds in this case.

I'm pretty sure you're misreading the EU regulation and you'll find that they do have to offer you a refund in the case of unavoidable weather disruption but they don't have to offer compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Zab wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're misreading the EU regulation and you'll find that they do have to offer you a refund in the case of unavoidable weather disruption but they don't have to offer compensation.
    I believe that is the case too.

So just skip the compensation section of the document as the rest still appy to you.

I agree with you ... sort of ... I would agree you in full if the document was actually a copy of the regulation however the document I referenced was a Ryanair rehash i.e the so called "notice of rights" of the actual regulation which they are obliged to provide.

AerLingus' current version is much more clear and closer to Version 8 of Ryanair's same document (not Version 9 their current version)

They (Ryanair) have also dropped the part about being obliged to reply in writing within 9 days.

Well feck aimlessly sending letters & waiting for a reply. At least with Aer lingus when my flights were cancelled (also during the recent snow) I was able to pick up the phone and get it sorted/refunded.

I guess the moral of the story is next winter i'll be booking with Aer lingus if the snow is around or if there's anymore ash for that matter.

Sucks donkeys balls you cant pick up the phone and call Ryanair :(

Okay, I looked at the document you linked and you have a point. I thought you were looking for "compensation" (you said "entitled to compensation" in your first post) but you're actually looking for "care" as Ryanair phrase it. They carve out compensation from bad weather (as do the EU regs) but not care or re-routing.

Of course, Ryanair being Ryanair, they will likely just ignore your letters. I also have not seen version 8 of the document, although it seems unlikely that Ryanair will give you any rights beyond the regs they're giving notice of. That doesn't explain why they're up to version 9 though.

^whitey^ wrote: »
    I guess the moral of the story is next winter i'll be booking with Aer lingus if the snow is around or if there's anymore ash for that matter.
    Well can't agree with you there considering how they treated me while stranded in Berlin at christmas - expecting me to share a double bed with a complete stranger. Would have prefered to have had the choice of where to stay myself rather than being stuck with sub standard accomodation offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

axer wrote: »
    Well can't agree with you there considering how they treated me while stranded in Berlin at christmas - expecting me to share a double bed with a complete stranger. Would have prefered to have had the choice of where to stay myself rather than being stuck with sub standard accomodation offerings.

I am shocked by that. Did you complain to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

In your case was there maybe a misunderstanding between Ground Globe (EI's handling agent in Berlin) and/or the Hotel? I have worked in hotels that have handled numerous delayed flights from lots of carriers and in most cases the ground agent typically tries to hold one room per passenger, in most cases we ended up with rooms left over once everyone had arrived and families, couples etc had doubled up at their choice. I've never once heard of any carrier forcing people, strangers or otherwise to share rooms

I found EI great on this occasion, we where all checked in to the hotel within 40 mins of our original departure time,automatically rebooked the next day - new flight details sent automatically by SSM.

Incidentally our flight the next day was delayed by 12 hours due to a technical issue, and we all received: 8Euro lunch voucher, 15Euro Dinner voucher, Free food and drinks onboard and 100Euro flight voucher on arrival to dublin, and text updates every 2 hours.

On both days Ryanair also cancelled flights to Dublin and the passengers where just referred by the handling agent to the website to rebook.

digital_d wrote: »
    In your case was there maybe a misunderstanding between Ground Globe (EI's handling agent in Berlin) and/or the Hotel? I have worked in hotels that have handled numerous delayed flights from lots of carriers and in most cases the ground agent typically tries to hold one room per passenger, in most cases we ended up with rooms left over once everyone had arrived and families, couples etc had doubled up at their choice. I've never once heard of any carrier forcing people, strangers or otherwise to share rooms
    Dont think there was a misunderstanding.

The hotel said that aerlingus had only authorised x number of double rooms and would not authorise any more.

I asked to speak to aerlingus. Spoke to a german rep over the phone and explained that I was being put in a room with only one double bed to be shared with a complete stranger she said she would not authorise a single room for me and that I could go to a different hotel but that she cant say if I would get my money back. When asked does she think its right or safe for this to happen she said sorry there is nothing she can do.

I asked to speak to her supervisor or someone in Ireland and she gave me a number (after much hesitation). I rang that number and it was the operations manager of aerlingus cork who said the same thing that they would not authorise anything. I dont think there was any confusion that two aerlingus reps refused to help me out.
    digital_d wrote: »
    On both days Ryanair also cancelled flights to Dublin and the passengers where just referred by the handling agent to the website to rebook.
    I would have rathered this as I would have at least had a choice where to stay.

Firstly by the time aerlingus got us to the hotel it was 1am (the flight was canceled by about 8-9pm but we had to wait around for a bus) so it made it awkward to go and find another hotel (plus I was wrecked tired) and secondly I was afraid if I booked elsewhere that aerlingus would argue that they provided me with "accomodation" thus I was not sure if I would get a refund from them since I was unable to get any of their staff to authorise me to stay elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sheilao

I booked a return flight from Kerry to Frankfurt-Hahn before Christmas and they emailed me a couple of weeks prior to the flight departure day to say that the flight times had changed (by more than 3 hours each way). As these times didn't suit me or my fellow passengers, I applied for a refund through the email they sent me. I then received an email from Ryanair on 29/12/2010 stating that there were processing my payment, but that there was a delay due to high number of refund requests (weather conditions).

I then received an email on 21/01/2011 stating that I am not entitled to a refund and that
    "Ryanair tickets are fully flexible, however as stated in our fare rules, all tickets are non refundable".

It is stated clearly in Ryanair's Terms and Conditions that
    "if, after you make your reservation, but before the date of travel, we change the scheduled departure time by more than three hours and this is unacceptable to you and we are unable to book you on an alternative flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund for all monies paid in respect of the time changed flight, without further liability"

Ryanair changed the flight times and then offered me a refund, which I accepted and now Ryanair is going back on its earlier offer to me. I can't understand this logic. I have sent emails and faxes to them but have heard nothing back yet. Has this happened to anyone else before? Can they legally get away with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ARGHH!!!! Ryanair robbin' b*astards :mad:

My boyfriend was travelling to the UK today. He checked in online earlier this morning, for which he paid €12. Our printer is on the blink at home so he asked me to print his boarding pass at work and he'd call in to collect it.

His flight was at 6pm and at 2.10pm I tried to print the boarding pass. For some reason it just kept showing me the boarding pass for his return journey home. I them looked at the faqs and it said "Once a passenger has checked in online the boarding pass can be reprinted up to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure time".

What a load of tosh!!He had to pay €40 at the check in desk for the check in agent to basically give him one of those generic boarding passes. When he asked her why the fee was so high she told him she presumed it was to discourage people from showing up without their boarding passes. Well, if it's such a big problem for them, perhaps there should be no time limit on printing your boarding pass once you've checked in!! Besides, even a €10 charge would be enough to discourage people from arriving without their boarding passes.

I know I have no come back with this, but I just need to have a rant and to warn people to make sure their boarding pass is printed more than 4 hours before departure or you will pay big time.

And... breathe...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

You are told clearly that you can print it up to four hours before departure time.

It's not rocket-science and I cannot understand the point of your rant.

Advertisement