Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You are told clearly that you can print it up to four hours before departure time.

It's not rocket-science and I cannot understand the point of your rant.

Also, could he not have saved a PDF copy of the boarding pass when he realised it wasn't printing and emailed it and printed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

amcalester wrote: »
    Also, could he not have saved a PDF copy of the boarding pass when he realised it wasn't printing and emailed it and printed that.

I know we're told on the website that it must be printed off 4 hours or more before departure (if you look for the information - this was news to us before today so didn't know there was a time limit) but WHY is the question? It's clearly a money making exercise if they don't allow you to print the boarding pass 4 hours or less before departure and then charge you €40 when you show up without the boarding pass. There's no logic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I know we're told on the website that it must be printed off 4 hours or more before departure (if you look for the information - this was news to us before today so didn't know there was a time limit) but WHY is the question? It's clearly a money making exercise if they don't allow you to print the boarding pass 4 hours or less before departure and then charge you €40 when you show up without the boarding pass. There's no logic in it.

The logic is you read your itinerary when you receive it.

The logic is you read your itinerary when you receive it.

That doesn't explain the reason why they won't let you print it 4 hours or less before departure but thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They make the rules, it is not their problem if you choose to ignore them.

• Advertisement

So just because they say so, makes it fair.

It seems Spanish courts don't agree with their rules either.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0116/breaking11.html

A Spanish judge has found that Ryanair was wrong to impose "unfair" fees on passengers who failed to print out their own boarding cards.
    In what could be a landmark legal ruling with implications on the airline’s charging policies across Europe, Judge Barbara Maria Cordoba of the Barcelona commercial court said yesterday it was carriers and not passengers who were obliged to issue boarding cards.

She made the decision in a case brought by a Spanish lawyer, Dan Miro, who objected to being charged €40 for failing to print his boarding card before a flight.

"The normal practice over the years has been that the obligation to issue the boarding card has always fallen on the carrier," she said. "I declare unfair and therefore void the contractual clause in which Ryanair obliges the passenger to be the one who brings the printed boarding pass to travel or face a penalty of €40".

Ryanair introduced the €40 penalty for reissuing a boarding card in May 2009 and said it was being done to encourage passengers to arrive at the airport with their card pre-printed.

A central plank of the company’s business model in recent years has involved a dramatic scaling back of the number of check-in desks it operates at airports.

Ryanair had argued at a court hearing in Barcelona before Christmas that as a low-cost airline it should be permitted to require its passengers to print their own boarding passes.

Judge Cordoba stressed that “there is no doubt at all” that airlines should print boarding passes for passengers, and dismissed the suggestion that because Ryanair described itself as a low-cost carrier it could “alter its basic contractual obligations”.

The Consumers Union of Spain (UCE) welcomed yesterday's announcement and described Ryanair's policy on boarding cards as "abusive." In a statement the group said "international air traffic laws, to which Ryanair is subject, oblige a transporter to provide the travel document".

Ryanair robustly dismissed criticism of the charge and said it would appeal the ruling. "The court is wrong," a spokesman for the airline said.

Daniel de Carvalho claimed that arriving at an airport without a boarding pass was similar to leaving a passport at home. "You need the boarding card to fly. If a passenger arrives without a boarding card, we find an ad hoc solution to their problem. The €40 is a penalty for doing that. We serve the boarding card in exactly the same way that the passenger makes the booking, by internet."

He said that if the Spanish court objected to the €40 charge the airline could “simply stop offering the service. That, of course, will mean the passenger who arrives without a boarding card cannot fly."

The ruling is unlikely to have any impact on Irish passengers travelling with the airline in the short term as it would have to be upheld by European courts before it could be enforced in Ireland.

You are welcome to take them to court.

At least someone had the balls to and didn't just sit back and accept it because they're "the rules".

I don't accept it at all, but I choose to fly with other airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

At least someone had the balls to and didn't just sit back and accept it because they're "the rules".

Read their reply to it on the News on Ryanair.com

• Advertisement

“Ryanair’s low fare, low cost services appeal to millions of passengers because they are simple, efficient and agreed by each passenger at the time of booking. Without these procedures, Ryanair would have to re-employ numerous handling agents at all airports to issue manual boarding cards for passengers who simply “forgot” to bring their pre-printed boarding passes or who failed to comply with their original agreement to check-in online".

In fairness I agree with penalties for people who turn up without boarding passes, but I can't understand why they won't let you print your boarding pass a few hours before depature. Once you're checked in, it shouldn't matter how many times or how long before departure you print off the page. As long as you present yourself with the boarding pass, that should be all that matters to them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Before they brought in this charge the cards could be printed up to 40 mins before departure. Which meant you could get them printed if a shop at the airport had the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

They will do anything they think they can get away with to part you from extra cash. I think it's a pretty lousy mindset for a company, but in reality everybody knows this about Ryanair by now so it's not like anybody should be surprised. People are being a little hostile towards you because there's no point in complaining any more, at least about things that have been the same for ages and have been complained about many times before.

The reason they stop people printing the boarding pass from their website four hours before departure is so they can charge them extra when they get to the airport. There is no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Zab wrote: »
    They will do anything they think they can get away with to part you from extra cash. I think it's a pretty lousy mindset for a company, but in reality everybody knows this about Ryanair by now so it's not like anybody should be surprised. People are being a little hostile towards you because there's no point in complaining any more, at least about things that have been the same for ages and have been complained about many times before.

The reason they stop people printing the boarding pass from their website four hours before departure is so they can charge them extra when they get to the airport. There is no other reason.

I think it's genius, let the dumb people pay the price and give the smart people a way to fly very cheaply!
    Ryanair is a great company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

They quote prices on their site "don't include optional fees/charges".
    Is the check-in fee optional, as I can't seem to avoid it.

Sometimes the check in fee is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

cast_iron wrote: »
    They quote prices on their site "don't include optional fees/charges".
    Is the check-in fee optional, as I can't seem to avoid it.

It is when you buy a sale seat on a flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I am no fan of Ryanair, but so long as people continue to subsidise my low fare by having overweight bags, forgetting their boarding pass etc, they will continue the model and I will benefit. So, thanks debs boyfriend!

I am no fan of Ryanair, but so long as people continue to subsidise my low fare by having overweight bags, forgetting their boarding pass etc, they will continue the model and I will benefit. So, thanks debs boyfriend!

He didn't forget his boarding pass but I'll pass on your thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I don't accept it at all, but I choose to fly with other airlines.

So, what are you doing on here? Just passing by for a gloat??

In the last ten years or so I have travelled several times a year with RyR and with others. RyR are ok, cheap and cheerful, irritating rules and quirks... but value for money, and they go where I want to go.

If I was to rant about them it would be about the ar*eholes who buy the priority boarding and then try to push past you in the passport queue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I see O' Leary the gob****e is in the papers today saying Aer Lingus staff should be sacked and saying oh we'll help them out all we can leasing aircraft and so on, and they've been running ads (Ryanair) taking the mick out of Aer Lingus for charging high fares and being unreliable.

The biggest thing he says however is that apparently 93% of Aer Lingus cabin crew agreed to these new rosters? now where did this come from, I have read in the papers that these rosters were brought in without any agreement from staff. Where is Micko pulling this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I see O' Leary the gob****e is in the papers today saying Aer Lingus staff should be sacked and saying oh we'll help them out all we can leasing aircraft and so on, and they've been running ads (Ryanair) taking the mick out of Aer Lingus for charging high fares and being unreliable.

The biggest thing he says however is that apparently 93% of Aer Lingus cabin crew agreed to these new rosters? now where did this come from, I have read in the papers that these rosters were brought in without any agreement from staff. Where is Micko pulling this from?

He is right - only 75 staff at AerLingus failed to agree on the rosters... I say sack them and give the jobs to someone who wants to work.

O'Leary is a VERY, VERY successful guy - why does that make him a gob****e? He took a company with 1 old plane that was loosing money and turned it into a profitable airline (find another apart South West and EasyJet)... he has created 1000's of jobs, many in Ireland, and brought cheap travel to millions more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Are you Michael O'Leary?

Are you Michael O'Leary?

Yes and I am so self-deprecating I refer to myself as a gobshite :D
    I assume you meant to quote the fella here.
    si_guru wrote: »
    He is right - only 75 staff at AerLingus failed to agree on the rosters... I say sack them and give the jobs to someone who wants to work.

O'Leary is a VERY, VERY successful guy - why does that make him a gob****e? He took a company with 1 old plane that was loosing money and turned it into a profitable airline (find another apart South West and EasyJet)... he has created 1000's of jobs, many in Ireland, and brought cheap travel to millions more.

I'm not criticising his business model or skill, he is an expert at that, I mean his personality and attitude is what makes him a gob****e.
    Whether it's:

- "beds and blowjobs" making female translator very uncomfortable
    - Insisting disabled people be charged extra for the extra hassle involved in them using wheelchairs until the courts put a stop to it
    - Having a business model where staff were instructed to carry disabled passengers onto a plane instead of using the equipment to get them on. Humiliating and degrading for those disabled passengers but saving time and expense for O' Leary.
    - Making a big huss and fuss about Ryanair's 1 millionth passenger, giving her free flights for life, pocketing the great PR from the stint, only for him to go back on his deal and refuse to give her what he had promised, once again for the courts to step in
    - Involving himself in politics and making constant criticisms without any constructive ideas

These are just off the top of my head. God knows what else he has done. If you don't think he's unpopular, in UL about 2007 the Dean announced they intended giving him an honourary doctorate and the response from students and staff was so overwhelming they had to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

- "beds and blowjobs" making female translator very uncomfortable
    - Insisting disabled people be charged extra for the extra hassle involved in them using wheelchairs until the courts put a stop to it
    - Having a business model where staff were instructed to carry disabled passengers onto a plane instead of using the equipment to get them on. Humiliating and degrading for those disabled passengers but saving time and expense for O' Leary.
    - Making a big huss and fuss about Ryanair's 1 millionth passenger, giving her free flights for life, pocketing the great PR from the stint, only for him to go back on his deal and refuse to give her what he had promised, once again for the courts to step in
    - Involving himself in politics and making constant criticisms without any constructive ideas

All of this just indirectly subsidises our cheap flights Dan. Why do you care if those less fortunate than ourselves get ****ed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yes and I am so self-deprecating I refer to myself as a gobshite :D
    I assume you meant to quote the fella here.

Don't make an ass out of you and me. I meant you, Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I got from Dublin to London last june for 3 euro. (And the same back)

The bus from Dublin to the airport was double this, each way.

Follow the system and it'll be cheap...if not and you do stupid things like not printing your boarding pass/etc...then it's just your own fault!

I'm pretty happy with their cheap flights/service anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

si_guru wrote: »

but but but....

Just bought flight with Ryanair, when I checked in online only the boarding card for the outbound flight comes up, it won't display the return flight. what do I do? I said I'd post this here first because last time I tried to contact Ryanair they didn't answer the phone, I tried for 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Just bought flight with Ryanair, when I checked in online only the boarding card for the outbound flight comes up, it won't display the return flight. what do I do? I said I'd post this here first because last time I tried to contact Ryanair they didn't answer the phone, I tried for 3 days.

Maybe the return flight is outside the 15 day time limit, or else you didn't click "check in for return flight" when checking in, if this is the case go back in to online checkin, you may have to re-enter your passport details.

Advertisement