Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

jenizzle wrote: »
    Flying out of Dublin last Saturday, and I had to check my bag in even though it DID fit in their cage thingy. Apparently it didn't fit in "comfortably" enough. Yer wan was a total and utter c*nt, and seemed to be getting commission from the amount of luggage they had gathered. T'was a great start to the holiday :mad:

Yeah you certainly have over zealous staff who check the size of bags like their life depended on it, Leeds Bradford airport is a nightmare for it they ALWAYS check your bag morning,noon and night whereas in Dublin sometimes they don't have anyone checking.

Do they actually get some form of commission or not, it would seem to make sense if they did the way some of them religiously check the size of bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Me and my girlfriend booked our flights with Ryanair at the same time but seperateley with our own laser cards. We both got confirmation emails, with the same reference number... Her email had my name instead of hers. Ryanair changed that for us for €10 :mad:.

We checked in online today, she was able to I wasn't... Apparentley her card was never charged and she had changed my booking - even though she gave her email address and her laser card details to the guy who changed the names.

So she had to re book the flight with her card with me as the passenger. The new price was €100 more expensive. The girl at the call centre admitted it was ryanairs fault but told me, those at the call centre were not able to do anything and we would just have to pay the extra amount :rolleyes:.

I'm gonna have to contact my solicitor when I get back from my holidays.

Aerlingus in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Did you use the same computer with same browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Did you use the same computer with same browser?

I expect the techies will clarify but the RyR site information "warning" about multiple windows illustrates the problem. Afaik it is an issue with caching, not specific to RyR. The conspiracy theorists will say if is deliberate to stop making price comparisons.... but I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

BarryM wrote: »
    Think back to where all this started, mixing explosives from components. An empty bottle can be filled with stuff from others..... Ok, sounds crazy, but we live in a crazy world, don't blame RyR, blame the pols who won't change the situation in the middle east, for example.

And you cant do that with a bottle you buy and empty on the plane? Its not a RyR issue, but its still incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

One thing I have to say about Ryanair is that at least all their charges are up front. I booked a flight to Spain with Aer Lingus a few months ago and was really annoyed to be asked to pay extra for seats AFTER I had paid for my tickets!!! I think this is a very underhand way to do things. Once I put in my credit card details and paid for my flight I thought that was it paid in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are under no obliglation to pay for seat selection on Aer Lingus.

You are under no obliglation to pay for seat selection on Aer Lingus.

I am aware that you are not under an obligation to pay for seat selection. My point is that I had finished paying and was then asked to choose my seats. I thought this was included in what I had already paid and I was annoyed to find out that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You didn't have to pay. You would have been able to choose a seat once online checkin had opened, or later at the airport desk.

Aer Lingus do not offer seat choice for free when booking. It is free however, once you check in with less than 30 hours to go.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    You didn't have to pay. You would have been able to choose a seat once online checkin had opened, or later at the airport desk.

Aer Lingus do not offer seat choice for free when booking. It is free however, once you check in with less than 30 hours to go.

You don't seem to get what I'm trying to say.:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

S Connor wrote: »
    You don't seem to get what I'm trying to say.:confused:
    I get it. You thought you could choose your seat as part of the original price.

It usually isnt a problem to get an ok seat within the 30 hour window, though, but I know thats not your issue.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

I think the overall rating of Ryanair says it all,unfortunately ive little or no option but to use them or it adds a couple of hours onto my journey than i can do without!!

I would dearly love for another airline to come in and undercut them and to completely scrap all these stupid fees,bigger baggage allowance,etc,etc that they shamefully get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

dudara wrote: »

I didn't know that, I will next time - thanks for that info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jonnny68 wrote: »
    http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm

I think the overall rating of Ryanair says it all,unfortunately ive little or no option but to use them or it adds a couple of hours onto my journey than i can do without!!

I would dearly love for another airline to come in and undercut them and to completely scrap all these stupid fees,bigger baggage allowance,etc,etc that they shamefully get away with.

So as well as a different airline, you also want it cheaper?

Some of those reviews are hilarious. One guy gave them 2 stars because the stewardess moved his overhead luggage to the back of the plane(he was in the front seat).

Also about 50% of the bad ratings is people who didnt read the terms and conditions or had luggage that was over weight.

Another person gave a low rating for the cost of the drinks despite their flight only being 20 minutes long.

syklops wrote: »
    So as well as a different airline, you also want it cheaper?

Some of those reviews are hilarious. One guy gave them 2 stars because the stewardess moved his overhead luggage to the back of the plane(he was in the front seat).

Also about 50% of the bad ratings is people who didnt read the terms and conditions or had luggage that was over weight.

Another person gave a low rating for the cost of the drinks despite their flight only being 20 minutes long.

Undercut might have been the wrong term to use, at least match them in price would be a start, admittedly some of them reviews are a bit bizzare but for the most part they speak volumes, thankfully my flight with swineair a few hours ago was uneventful asides from the over zealous crew checking the size of bags looking to impose charges, im convinced they must be on commission, you rarely if ever seen this with other airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Undercut might have been the wrong term to use, at least match them in price would be a start, admittedly some of them reviews are a bit bizzare but for the most part they speak volumes, thankfully my flight with swineair a few hours ago was uneventful asides from the over zealous crew checking the size of bags looking to impose charges, im convinced they must be on commission, you rarely if ever seen this with other airlines.

Ryanair is often the cheapest by far option to fly places, and their existence has brought prices down for all flyers. Before they came along Aer Lingus had no qualms whatsoever in charging 700 pounds for a single flight to Heathrow.

Most of the people who gave Ryanair full marks simply read the instructions and followed them. Ryanair say they want you to have a small bag that weighs 10kg or less, so have a small bag that weighs 10kg or less. Its not rocket science.

Ryanair is often the cheapest by far option to fly places, and their existence has brought prices down for all flyers. Before they came along Aer Lingus had no qualms whatsoever in charging 700 pounds for a single flight to Heathrow.

Most of the people who gave Ryanair full marks simply read the instructions and followed them. Ryanair say they want you to have a small bag that weighs 10kg or less, so have a small bag that weighs 10kg or less. Its not rocket science.

you see it's not always as straightforward as this, im a regular flier with Ryanair and i know only too well all the terms and conditions yet i could write a book about the bad experiences ive had with this airline over the last 8/9 years, sure ive got some cracking deals and had many flights which went ok and were uneventful but the bad experiences ive had cant just be forgotten, not just 1 or 2 bad experiences over the years but many,ive travelled with Easyjet too many times who are pretty much the same as Ryanair (although nowhere not as bad) and ive only ever had 1 bad experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If people don't like Ryanair (or have continued bad experiences) why do you continue to travel with them?

As usual it comes down to 'you get what you pay for'. . if you don't like them, don't use them.

Personally theres not a chance I could fly as often as i do if they wern't there, can put up with a bad experience every now and again for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have travelled Ryanair many times and don't recall a bad experience. In fact even when the flight leaves late, the pilot floors it (well pushes I suppose) and we tend to arrive on time. Usually we arrive early. By we I mean myself and my wife. If we had kids, it might be a different experience. I also quite enjoy flying Ryanair when I travel alone. I wait till all the sheep that have been standing in a queue are out of the way then walk in at my leisure, though I do that with all flights anyway.

• Advertisement

One guy gave them 2 stars because the stewardess moved his overhead luggage to the back of the plane(he was in the front seat).

I would be miffed if an airline moved my luggage from where I was sitting to the back of the plane to make room for the late comers. Legitimate complaint in my eyes

Saruman wrote: »
    I have travelled Ryanair many times and don't recall a bad experience. In fact even when the flight leaves late, the pilot floors it (well pushes I suppose) and we tend to arrive on time. Usually we arrive early. By we I mean myself and my wife. If we had kids, it might be a different experience. I also quite enjoy flying Ryanair when I travel alone. I wait till all the sheep that have been standing in a queue are out of the way then walk in at my leisure, though I do that with all flights anyway.

The leaving late delay is built into the schedules

As for waiting to board the plane last, that is fine if you are happy to take a middle seat and you have a bag that fits comfortably under the seat. I like a window seat down the back so will board early. I will definitely board early if I am travelling with my family and/or I have hand luggage that does not comfortably fit under the seat in front.

This review below is hilarious though You think some people would check who they are flying with :pac:
    RYANAIR customer review : 16 August 2011 by Angeles Gomez (Spain)
    Trip Rating : 0/10
    Recommended:No
    Value for Money:No
    Cabin Flown:Economy

MAD-Eindhoven. The B737 very old, no TV, no entertainment at all with no separation between the cabin and the galley. Plenty of advertisements all over the racks, toilets, floors is horrible. Ground staff were unfriendly and unprofessional. Cabin crew were only interested in selling duty free products, scratch cards, drinks etc. Crew laughing and talking the whole flight avoiding passengers.

Saruman wrote: »

I have to agree with what your saying in that I also don't recall a bad exerience in all the years I've been travelling with Ryanair. I certainly wouldn't have been away as often as I have if it weren't for their cheap prices. Ok so the plane may not be as comfortable as Aer Lingus but that's not really an issue as the flights are so short.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Oryx wrote: »
    I get it. You thought you could choose your seat as part of the original price.

I don't think so, my wife had the same reaction as the OP, the way it is presented is very annoying. She didn't want to have a preselected seat, but when she tried to checkin (not the 30 hour version) it implies that you have to buy a seat, even though it says you can opt for an allocated one, but that link doesn't work....It seems to me a con to try to get you to buy a seat out of frustration.

I wouldn't be RyR's greatest fan, but they make the options clear up front.

If people don't like Ryanair (or have continued bad experiences) why do you continue to travel with them?

As usual it comes down to 'you get what you pay for'. . if you don't like them, don't use them.

Personally theres not a chance I could fly as often as i do if they wern't there, can put up with a bad experience every now and again for that.

again it's not as simple as that, Ryanair might be the only airline to fly to the destination you are going to, travelling with another airline might add hours (and extra travel costs as in bus/train) believe you me i would travel with another airline if they flew to say Leeds Bradford from Dublin but Manchester is the nearest airport and that is over an an hour 20 mins away from Leeds and you then have to pay for buses/trains so it's clearly gonna cost you more most of the time.

ah this old chestnut that is always posted, say for example you go to a bar and it's €7 for a pint but the barman was friendly, if you go to another bar and pay €3 a pint do you now expect the barman to be a right old cu*t because it's cheaper,of course not, good customer service should be a prerequisite no matter what cost is involved and this also means airlines too.

And it's a well known fact that Ryanair make up their own times and vastly exaggerate flying times, take Leeds Bradford - Dublin, this can be done in 28 minutes indeed i timed it at this before but they will ALWAYS say 45/50 minutes and the flight will never leave on time but always arrive "on time" this myth about being Europes no 1 airline for flights on time is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ah this old chestnut that is always posted, say for example you go to a bar and it's €7 for a pint but the barman was friendly, if you go to another bar and pay €3 a pint do you now expect the barman to be a right old cu*t because it's cheaper,of course not, good customer service should be a prerequisite no matter what cost is involved and this also means airlines too.

But if he was a prick, you'd still drink there over the €7 pint :p

Most of the RA staff i've dealt with have been fine. A few sour faces, but if thats what it takes to get primadonna customers onto the plane within the rules, then great. I see a lot more rude customers than staff.

This "customer service" expectation is a joke too. "they wouldnt hold the plane for us"... I was sitting at an aerlingus departure for 30 mins waiting for some bint who was wandering around duty free in spain. screw that, leave em behind! Being rude to the customer who is outside the rules is supplying GOOD customer service to the rest of us who fairly stayed within the rules. So your two bags are ok, when everyone else has one? nope. pay up.

And it's a well known fact that Ryanair make up their own times and vastly exaggerate flying times, take Leeds Bradford - Dublin, this can be done in 28 minutes indeed i timed it at this before but they will ALWAYS say 45/50 minutes and the flight will never leave on time but always arrive "on time" this myth about being Europes no 1 airline for flights on time is hilarious.

Most airlines (probably all?) have other time built into their schedules. The time in the schedules will include, push back, hold and taxing as well as the actual flight time. I remember I was on a BA flight from Heathrow to Glasgow and we taxied in a queue for about 35 minutes before take off and still it arrived on time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

On the hand luggage size and allowance.

I have been regularly flying Ryanair to either Krakow or Rzeszow in Poland for the last 5 years or so. In the early days you would see a huge number of people travelling with no check on luggage, but with 3 or 4 enormous sacks weighing about 30kg! And that is not an exaggeration.

This always resulted in there being no space for everyones carry on luggage, and delays while this luggage would be transferred to the hold.

Since they brought in the checks there is no more mucking about, and everything runs a lot more smoothly.

It is true, though, that a lot of the ground staff are incredibly strict on it.

It is also worth noting, though, that in a lot of places the ground staff are on contract and not direct Ryanair staff.

As for flight crew, I usually find them pleasant; I think that people get their own attitudes reflected back at them, as is the case in any job dealing with the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conroym7

Whats the cheapest voucher you can buy online?

Advertisement