Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

tinyjiney wrote: »
    Well..got another emal yesterday.."YOU STILL HAVE NOT CHECKED-IN"....

So if anyone knows a Mr. Pat.... ....igan flying to Faro next monday 10th and returning 24th...please tell him to contact Ryanair...;)

Another "ATTENTION YOU MUST CHECK IN" MESSAGE............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Contact the Aviation Regulator and inform them of everything you have said here. Tell them that Ryanair are aware that one of their customers has not received their booking confirmation email, that Ryanair know the booking reference number (and by extension know the customer's name, address, phone number and credit/debit card details), that Ryanair are aware that this customer is unable to check in and that the customer cannot be contacted by email, and that Ryanair have refused to contact the customer by other means to enable them to receive their booking reference number (and hence check in).

Give the regulator all the information you have and let them handle it from here.

01-6611700
    info@aviationreg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

number_1 wrote: »
    Contact the Aviation Regulator and inform them of everything you have said here. Tell them that Ryanair are aware that one of their customers has not received their booking confirmation email, that Ryanair know the booking reference number (and by extension know the customer's name, address, phone number and credit/debit card details), that Ryanair are aware that this customer is unable to check in and that the customer cannot be contacted by email, and that Ryanair have refused to contact the customer by other means to enable them to receive their booking reference number (and hence check in).

Give the regulator all the information you have and let them handle it from here.

01-6611700
    info@aviationreg.ie

Good idea, considering you have to give your name, address and phone number when booking - what's the point if they won't use them! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is pure profit for FR if the person does not show up as they can resell the seat at silly prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

number_1 wrote: »

01-6611700
    info@aviationreg.ie

I agree - an excellent idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Tinyjiney, any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they can check in without the email, its just a hiccup. Happened me before where a father had booked a flight for his daughter who shared a name with my GF at the time. I ended up tracking her down and forwarding the email to her, but its not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

zuroph wrote: »
    they can check in without the email

In order to check in they must provide the email address given at the time of booking, which as it happens is a different email address to their own one. Add this to the fact that for all we know they could be going on their first ever flight with Ryanair and hence not have a clue as to what to do (they won't have any instructions to check in as they didn't receive the email), then it can't be assumed that this person is able to check in.

It is in the interests of Ryanair for this customer to be unable to check in online, forcing them to turn up at the airport and pay €40 for a sheet of paper.

tinyjiney, did you pass the information on to the Aviation Regulator. Did they reprimand Ryanair for refusing to contact the customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

How do you know they didnt contact the user, perhaps its a glitch in the system which is sending out the mail to the original email given but they've been manually contacted and forwarded the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hi Guys

Had an issue with ryanair at the start of the month and I'm mulling over complaining - on one hand I'm still very pissed off about it, but on the other I can almost pre empt their response and doubt it's worth my while complaining.

On the 1st Oct I was going on a weeks holidays. Flying from Dub - Leeds on 01/10, Leeds - Barca 02/10 and then home from Barca - Dub 06/10.

We flew to Leeds not a problem, passport checked at baggage drop off, security and then boarding plane and not one issue. The following day however, we got to Leeds airport and went to the baggage drop off point, my passport was checked, and mthey told me they could not let me travel with my passport as it was "too damaged" and "appeared to have been tampered with".

Now, my passport has been through the washing machine and could be described as a little tatty, that I would not dispute. But the picture page is not badly damaged at all, it has some slight peeling in one of the corners. This happened around 18 months or so ago, and I have used it for give or take around 20-25 flights since then. Only once has anything been said to me before, and that was just to buy a protective cover so that it didnt get damaged anymore - which I did and the condition has not deteriorated any since.

So we were stuck in Leeds, would not let me fly to Barcelona and as it was a UK passport they would not let me fly home to Dublin either. Eventually after fighting for it, and great help from Servisair staff, we were transferred on to a flight to Dublin that night.

My major issue is the fact that my passport was deemed fine to fly with Ryanair the day before, and now it cannot be accepted at all. When I said this to the Ryanair staff, they said "Oh its fine for say Ireland to the UK, but I cant let you fly to Spain with this" - it's either valid for travel or it's not!

I've been charged the full €367 for the Hotel in Barca as their policy allowed free cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival, and full price after. If my passport really wasn't fit to travel, I shouldn't have been allowed to fly from Dub and could have cancelled this and would have only lost out on the flights.

Have I a case to look for compensation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Maximoose,
    Put it down to bad experience... I think i am barred from Stanstead for similar !
    I had flown Ryanair to Manchester two days previously, got down to Stanstead for return flight, and had the same at the gate. Went to Ryanair customer service to which the girl says "look, you'd be able to change them photos (you'd have been lucky to get a pin at the side of the photo)...and proceeds to try jam her finger nail in the side !! I shouted stop and she called security...unbelieveable.
    I ended up getting the train to London and on to Heathrow and paying €240 for a one way home on BMI.
    As i needed the passport for the next week, I flew again on Ryanair to LGW and back without complaint, and on EI to Berlin the following week before i got it changed.............

Some of them are a law onto themselves, but even though i tried complain in Dublin it was to no avail. you may even find yourself blacklisted, I know i was told not to come back to Stanstead, haven't flown through there since just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

maximoose wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Had an issue with ryanair at the start of the month and I'm mulling over complaining - on one hand I'm still very pissed off about it, but on the other I can almost pre empt their response and doubt it's worth my while complaining.

On the 1st Oct I was going on a weeks holidays. Flying from Dub - Leeds on 01/10, Leeds - Barca 02/10 and then home from Barca - Dub 06/10.

We flew to Leeds not a problem, passport checked at baggage drop off, security and then boarding plane and not one issue. The following day however, we got to Leeds airport and went to the baggage drop off point, my passport was checked, and mthey told me they could not let me travel with my passport as it was "too damaged" and "appeared to have been tampered with".

Now, my passport has been through the washing machine and could be described as a little tatty, that I would not dispute. But the picture page is not badly damaged at all, it has some slight peeling in one of the corners. This happened around 18 months or so ago, and I have used it for give or take around 20-25 flights since then. Only once has anything been said to me before, and that was just to buy a protective cover so that it didnt get damaged anymore - which I did and the condition has not deteriorated any since.

So we were stuck in Leeds, would not let me fly to Barcelona and as it was a UK passport they would not let me fly home to Dublin either. Eventually after fighting for it, and great help from Servisair staff, we were transferred on to a flight to Dublin that night.

My major issue is the fact that my passport was deemed fine to fly with Ryanair the day before, and now it cannot be accepted at all. When I said this to the Ryanair staff, they said "Oh its fine for say Ireland to the UK, but I cant let you fly to Spain with this" - it's either valid for travel or it's not!

I've been charged the full €367 for the Hotel in Barca as their policy allowed free cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival, and full price after. If my passport really wasn't fit to travel, I shouldn't have been allowed to fly from Dub and could have cancelled this and would have only lost out on the flights.

Have I a case to look for compensation?

In my opinioin no. Read this:

"But the picture page is not badly damaged at all"

There is a reason why the passport office issues passports, and not just a sheet with your picture on it. When it came out of the washing machine you should have gotten a replacement.
    Oh its fine for say Ireland to the UK, but I cant let you fly to Spain with this" - it's either valid for travel or it's not!

If the airline had doubts over the authenticity of the passport, then border control would definitely have concerns. Would you rather be stopped at leeds, or stranded at Barcelona Airport not able to go anywhere?Ryanair dont do stuff like this for the laugh.

Have you replaced your passport yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

In my opinioin no. Read this:

"But the picture page is not badly damaged at all"

There is a reason why the passport office issues passports, and not just a sheet with your picture on it. When it came out of the washing machine you should have gotten a replacement.
    The day after I had put it through the washing machine, I brought it to the PSNI station in my hometown for advice (yes, i know they aren't border control but thought it would be worth my while). The only damage was that the gold writing on the passport cover had faded, and a little peel on one of the inside pages. I was told it was fine, and as it had another 8 years until expiry I didn't see the point getting a new one.

As I said, since then I've used it in its exact current condition for 20-25 flights to London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Bulgaria, Liverpool, and Leeds on 2 other occasions all without a question.
    If the airline had doubts over the authenticity of the passport, then border control would definitely have concerns.

I can appreciate this, but the 'damage' was minimal. I couldn't get to Border control in Leeds airport to have them look at my passport there, so I made a point of asking Border Control back in Dublin when I got home. They had a a good look at all pages of the passport and couldn't really see why I'd been refused travel. When going through the airport to get onto our flight back to Dublin not a question was raised at the 2 passport checks after bag drop off.
    Would you rather be stopped at leeds, or stranded at Barcelona Airport not able to go anywhere?

Truthfully probably Barcelona, I'd imagine it would have been much easier to get home from there as I could contact an embassy and get an emergency travel certificate to get me back to Belfast at least...rather than Ryanair's half assed suggestion of somehow getting to Liverpool to go to the passport office there and have to wait 7 days for a passport just to get back to Ireland. Only after a lot of arguing, by myself and ServisAir, did they agree to let us fly back to Dublin.
    Ryanair dont do stuff like this for the laugh.

Probably not, more likely for the €300 flight transfer charge they tried to get from my partner and I to get us on a flight back to Dublin.
    Have you replaced your passport yet?

In the process.

As I see it, either:

My passport is fit for travel, and I should have been allowed to fly to Barca

or

My passport is balls, I should have replaced it yonks ago, and I shouldn't have been allowed to fly to Leeds in the first place.

Either way they have made the mistake, and I've lost out because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I spily coffee all over my passport the day I got it. On one occasion ryanair tried to refuse to board me, I asked them to call security but they then changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Hi guys,
    just trying to get an up to date opinion on which is easiest way to avoid the credit charge fee's. Need to get 6 flights booked and looking for the easiest method. Have tried searching back through this thread, but must admit am struggling with which method is best!
    Thanks in advance!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    just trying to get an up to date opinion on which is easiest way to avoid the credit charge fee's. Need to get 6 flights booked and looking for the easiest method. Have tried searching back through this thread, but must admit am struggling with which method is best!
    Thanks in advance!
    :)

Have a look at Neteller.com free to open and request the Plastic master card, you will need to send some proof of ID to them like copies of ID's, Bills (not mobiles), bank statements, etc can be done over email.

Entropay.com I think you need to pay to get Plastic Mastercard.

Both cases charge you a % for loading the cards, with Neteller is free if you do a bank transfer.

Thanks = both of these seem to take a few days to process/receive a credit card number I can use. Is there anywhere in Dublin I get get one that I can preload with credit? I read about Jervis street card some time ago...is that still an option? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Thanks = both of these seem to take a few days to process/receive a credit card number I can use. Is there anywhere in Dublin I get get one that I can preload with credit? I read about Jervis street card some time ago...is that still an option? Thanks

Not sure about the Jervis and some other centres like Liffey Valley they give the multicentre.eu not sure if it can be used online or top-up but for sure can be used in any shop that accepts visa/mastercard. Other users here or in google you should find the answers.

ALso check the payzonemoney.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The day after I had put it through the washing machine, I brought it to the PSNI station in my hometown for advice (yes, i know they aren't border control but thought it would be worth my while). The only damage was that the gold writing on the passport cover had faded, and a little peel on one of the inside pages. I was told it was fine, and as it had another 8 years until expiry I didn't see the point getting a new one.

Waste of time.

Truthfully probably Barcelona, I'd imagine it would have been much easier to get home from there as I could contact an embassy and get an emergency travel certificate to get me back to Belfast at least...rather than Ryanair's half assed suggestion of somehow getting to Liverpool to go to the passport office there and have to wait 7 days for a passport just to get back to Ireland. Only after a lot of arguing, by myself and ServisAir, did they agree to let us fly back to Dublin.

Having been in the situation where I needed emergency travel documents, I would much prefer be in Leeds than on the wrong side of the Border in Barcelona. In leeds they could let you leave the airport to shower/sleep in a hotel, in Barcelona, you would be sat on a chair untill the documents arrived, and it could take anywhere between 2-5 days.

As I see it, either:
    My passport is fit for travel, and I should have been allowed to fly to Barca

or

My passport is balls, I should have replaced it yonks ago, and I shouldn't have been allowed to fly to Leeds in the first place.

Either way they have made the mistake, and I've lost out because of it.

We can argue online as much as you like, you know what they say about people who argue on the internet.

The truth of the matter is, you will not get one penny out of Ryanair. You have no evidence which you can take them to court over. you lost ~700 euro, and you didnt get to see Barcelona's frigid slopes. Get over it, save for another trip, replace passport. Every remaining second you spend stewing over the situation is wasted time.

Headed into town today. Turns out Jervis St no longer sell the prepaid Mastercards. Neither do Stephens Green. They only do giftcards for use within their shopping centres.
    I also went into a Payzone vendor. They do not issue prepaid cards, but only seem to offer printouts, which I assume you can only use to top up an existing card, and cannot be used to purchase Ryanair tickets??? The staff in the shop had no idea.
    So in a nutshell getting no where with this one, so might have to pay all their cc fees....:(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Get yourself a Neteller prepaid mastercard. You'll have to set up a basic account, and apply for an upgrade. You might need to take scans of a household bill and wait about 2 or 3 days. You'll get a physical card in the post too. This part is hassle but do it once then thats it.

Then, to get money onto the card, buy a Ukash voucher (http://www.ukash.com/ie/en/home.aspx) in a shop beside you that has paypoint or payzone terminals (e.g. same as the ones where you pay your M50 toll etc). These have no extra charges so €50 gets you a €50 voucher. Log onto the Neteller website and put in the voucher code, the money will be available to spend in about half an hour at most. Tis like topping up your phone.

This avoids the extra Ryanair charges - I did it myself about 2 weeks ago with no problems. Used my own name, address etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Been using Neteller now for months and as a (unfortunate) flier with FR it has saved me a fortune although it's only a matter of time before they introduce their own card in Ireland, it's already in the UK.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

"PREPAID CONVENIENCE
    Use your Ryanair Cash Passport to purchase flights online, withdraw local currency at millions of ATMs worldwide, or pay directly at merchants (including shops, restaurants and entertainment venues) displaying the MasterCard® acceptance mark"
    Quote from website

So United Kingdom is only country in option box... what does that mean? Can I buy one with sterling and use it anywhere or do I need a UK address.

Pity about Shopping mastercards, I had good use of them for a while.

Pre-paid mastercards still work if you are in Ireland. This only applies to the UK for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Pre-paid mastercards still work if you are in Ireland. This only applies to the UK for now.

so Ruinair have shat on the British, only a matter of time before it's introduced in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have used Dundrum Shopping Centre card and then when that discontinued for web use, the Dublin City card which is near used up now. But someone on here said it was not longer valid for Ryanair? Hate to go back to extra charges again.

I dont fancy all the rigmarole of getting a different mastercard. The shopping centre cards were straightforward.

I have used Dundrum Shopping Centre card and then when that discontinued for web use, the Dublin City card which is near used up now. But someone on here said it was not longer valid for Ryanair? Hate to go back to extra charges again.

I dont fancy all the rigmarole of getting a different mastercard. The shopping centre cards were straightforward.
    They still work.

The staff in Ticketmaster in Jervis street told me neither them nor the same desk in Stephens Green centre sell the Dublin City prepaid mastercards anymore. In fact they knew of no where that sells them anymore. I assume existing ones are fine as long as they are still valid.

Here is what I did last week:
    I had to book 6 Ryanair tickets, costing EUR138.50 pre CC fees.
    I ended up ringing Payzone to find out the nearest agent who stocked the following cards: http://www.swirlcard.com/
    They were able to tell me the agent and when they had their delivery (which meant I did not waste my time going there).
    Although I actually wanted a Swirl Instant prepaid mastercard, I ended up buying a physical Swirl prepaid mastercard (which can be re-used). I loaded EUR140 onto it. The card cost me an additional EUR5.95, plus EUR2.99 to load it= EUR8 in fees. Note: There are additional charges for usage. Check their website.
    So in a nutshell I paid about EUR10 in fees via Payzone, v's Eur36 Ryanair fees.
    Without doubt, the Swirl Instant is a much better deal, but can only be used once. For the above transaction I would have only paid EUR3.50.
    If I need to book more Ryanair flights, this Swirl Instand would seem to offer the best option, especially if you want to book within 24 hours which I did.
    Hope that helps someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

I tried to book a flight on ryanair toady I live in Donegal fly from Derry to Glasgow couple of times a month. I have a prepaid mastercard which is an irish card but ryanair will no longer accept it any way around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Use a different carrier or use the ferry.

Advertisement