Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

The information posted was wrong, very wrong. Just because it's correct for you in your insular little world doesn't change that.

My partner, who's Spanish. doesn't have to use her passport for Ryanair. Some of her friends don't even have passports. A lot of people I work with use their National ID cards as a matter of course. So crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of and butt out if you've no accurate information to add.

I notice your quote of my reaction doesn't appear, maybe the system thinks your overreacting.

My point about pedantic was it wasn't necessary to quote the whole nine yards of Ryanair's Ts & Cs for ID...., just the link would do. If anything the list indicates the joke that ID is in the supposed EU....

Far from crawling into whatever it is you suggested I will point out, again, that the OP's thinking of using a driving license appears to be mistaken.... enjoy your Spanish onions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yeah but the OP is from 2008 and Ryanair used to allow driving licences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The terms and conditions don't look too bad if you do a few flights per year.

EXCEPT the €175 minimum reload amount.....thats a killer!:mad:
    It would be a real pain in the ass if you were one cent short on your card!

basta**s i despise these cun*s i spend enough money flying with them as it is,looks like ive no choice or get the ferry and thats really not an option:mad:

Just in relation to the €175 minimum reload fee, i unfortunately fly with these parasites quite often but if i loaded that amount on and used it do i then have to again load the same amount or more every time?

They really have us over a barrel, how they get away with this is beyond me, i truly hope in time they some law is passed where they and other airlines are ordered to scrap these rip off fees, after all that in the media last year about them not being transparent when it came to hidden fees, WTF if anything they have got worse trying to book a flight and unless your careful you could end up with something you don't want or need.

O Leary you bas***d :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

EU are shortly forcing them to do away with the "credit card admin fee" per passenger, and forcing them to change it to per transaction. no doubt they'll mark it up, but for families booking, it will be cheaper.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    EU are shortly forcing them to do away with the "credit card admin fee" per passenger, and forcing them to change it to per transaction. no doubt they'll mark it up, but for families booking, it will be cheaper.

So if that does happen does this mean getting this card is a waste of time as these admin fees wont exist anymore?

Yeah they'll no doubt put the prices up again if that does happen, despicable airline id love to be in a position to fly with another airline but most times it's not an option time and cost wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Your guess is as good as mine, it'll be interesting to see how they price it. I'd think €10-15 per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the €175 minimum reload fee, i unfortunately fly with these parasites quite often but if i loaded that amount on and used it do i then have to again load the same amount or more every time?

They really have us over a barrel, how they get away with this is beyond me, i truly hope in time they some law is passed where they and other airlines are ordered to scrap these rip off fees, after all that in the media last year about them not being transparent when it came to hidden fees, WTF if anything they have got worse trying to book a flight and unless your careful you could end up with something you don't want or need.

O Leary you bas***d :mad:
    Yes, it is €175 each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

zuroph wrote: »

Ah but Ryanair don't charge a credit card fee, so they'll be exempt from any such EU ruling. What they charge is an administration fee which, as I recall O'Leary describing it himself, is a "fee for using the website". :eek:

Yeah there is no way out of it, most people wouldn't be loading a card with up to €175 at a time and they know that too, i cant say im surprised all the same to be honest and i await more charges in time:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

€175! Folks, for the love of god, fly with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

A friend of mine is very cost-conscious and keeps statistics on his flights. He flies almost every week at least once. Last year he says he saved almost €600 (49 return flights x €12) by using a pre-paid Mastercard and escaping the charges by flying with Ryanair. If he had flown with Aer Lingus not only would the cost of flights have cost approx. 45% more but, with no facility to avoid their two-way credit card charges of €12, that would have added another approx €600 to his costs. He is definitely buying one of those Ryanair cards and I can see why.

I don't think it's worth it for the one or two flights a year that others may take especially if you are being charged for NOT using it.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    A friend of mine is very cost-conscious and keeps statistics on his flights. He flies almost every week at least once. Last year he says he saved almost €600 (49 return flights x €12) by using a pre-paid Mastercard and escaping the charges by flying with Ryanair. If he had flown with Aer Lingus not only would the cost of flights have cost approx. 45% more but, with no facility to avoid their two-way credit card charges of €12, that would have added another approx €600 to his costs. He is definitely buying one of those Ryanair cards and I can see why.

I don't think it's worth it for the one or two flights a year that others may take especially if you are being charged for NOT using it.
    In your friend's case, which is clearly business related travel, then it makes sense.

For the rest of us, it's a painful tactic by an increasingly greedy empire. The €175 minimum top up is just tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Savman wrote: »
    In your friend's case, which is clearly business related travel, then it makes sense.

For the rest of us, it's a painful tactic by an increasingly greedy empire. The €175 minimum top up is just tragic.

yeah €175 is just so much... I am considering going halves or thirds with a couple of the lads.. split the fees and one of us will be flying every 3 months i'd imagine... but then i'm thinking it's a lot of hassle keeping track of who topped up by how much etc. mywirecard was so much handier!

€175! Folks, for the love of god, fly with someone else.

Why? 99% of the time they are the cheapest from Scotland to Dublin and I save £48 each time I book a family trip to Dublin. For the love of God, why would I fly with someone else?

Why? 99% of the time they are the cheapest from Scotland to Dublin and I save £48 each time I book a family trip to Dublin. For the love of God, why would I fly with someone else?
    Well, this one's easy. From Scotland to Ireland, your choice is limited to Aer Lingus and Ryanair. So in this instance it matters little who you fly with, FR will probably be cheaper 90% of the time and if you don't want to pay extra for EI on a 30min flight I don't think anyone would argue.

When you go a little further afield and look at intercontinental destinations, by the time you add in all the fees and charges, I find they are less of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I fly about 3 or 4 times a year to the Birmingham or London areas, usually with 4-8 weeks notice. Cheapest options with Ryanair over the last while has been about €15 to Birmingham / Luton / Stansted or €18 to Gatwick. Cheapest with Aer Lingus is €20 to Birmingham or €20 to Gatwick or €30 to Heathrow. Cheapest with BMI is usually €28, with a free bag.

I've had an entropay account with its Virtual visa (which can be used as a Visa Electron with Aer Lingus or BMI, meaning you pay no fee, with just a 4.95% loading charge on exactly the amount you need). The account also had a linked prepaid Mastercard to use with Ryanair (for a zero fee with them, again just a loading charge). Entropay have just cancelled the prepaid Mastercard, presumably due to lack of use. I'm not going to bother querying it seeing as Ryanair have abandoned its use.

Am I happy to pay the extra €5 to fly Aer Lingus to Birmingham or Gatwick? Yes - absolutely.

Am I prepard to pay an extra €15 to fly to Heathrow rather than fly to Luton or Stansted? Yes - absolutely. It's going to cost £10 minimum to get into London from Luton and even more from Stansted. And for my 3 or 4 trips a year, sitting on a non-Ryanair plane feels like a bit of a treat, not an endurance test.

Saying that, I always try and avoid flying out of Heathrow. Airport charges seem to be high and it's not particularly pleasant. Both Gatwick and Birmingham (my preferred departure airport) are both on fast train lines, reachable in 30 or 70 minutes respectively from London, at £5 or £7.50 resectively if booked a month in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well, this one's easy. From Scotland to Ireland, your choice is limited to Aer Lingus and Ryanair. So in this instance it matters little who you fly with, FR will probably be cheaper 90% of the time and if you don't want to pay extra for EI on a 30min flight I don't think anyone would argue.

When you go a little further afield and look at intercontinental destinations, by the time you add in all the fees and charges, I find they are less of a bargain.

Ryanair have intercontinental flights now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

MOH wrote: »
    Ryanair have intercontinental flights now?

Morocco is in Africa.

Sorry I meant 'intra', my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Hi,
    I booked flights online with ryan air on Wednesday morning using a debit card.
    The available balance on my account went down immediately but my normal balance didn't.

Now I looked at it again and my available balance is back up with no change to my normal balance. They didn't charge my card.

I still got the confirmation email and on their website it says that its paid and confirmed and that I owe them €0.00

Should I give them a call or just wait to see what happens?

I'm a little bit worried because if they cancel my booking then the prices of the flights have went really high if I have to re book them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I would ring them and explain and see what they say.

As you say, if they haven't charged your card and they cancel the flights, you could end up forking out twice the amount if the flights go up.

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I still got the confirmation email and on their website it says that its paid and confirmed and that I owe them €0.00

Should I give them a call or just wait to see what happens?

I would say you're safe enough as it sounds like you have the all important booking reference. Go to "Manage my booking / view my booking / view itinery".

I would wait at least 3 days for the transaction to appear in your bank account

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone been able to successfully apply for a new cash passport card, no mater what browser I try all I get is an error message, do they want people to get these cards or not ?!?!?

do they want people to get these cards or not ?!?!?

Probably not.

I had problems with Firefox, eventually opened an account using IE. this was about 3 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciaran_

Been trying the last few days without any luck, keep getting an error on firefox but cant even get the application page up on IE :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Recently got a flight from Lanzarote to Shannon. Coming back, they made EVERY SINGLE passenger not only check their hand luggage size, even handbags or bags that blatantly fitted, but also WEIGHED every single bag. The staff weighing there were rude young female Brits, who had no interest or care for their customers.

This caused the flight to leave 20-40 minutes late (you can never really tell, they overestimate anyway, but thank god for no horns at the other end) which then made us miss our connecting bus. Appalled. Unfortunately for me, I had booked through a third party and didnt realise it was Ryan Air I was going on. Otherwise I would totally have not flown with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Africa wrote: »
    ... young female Brits...
    If you are treated badly by the staff of a firm, it is better to focus on the firm's responsibility to you; the age, gender, and country of origin of the staff member(s) are irrelevant.

Advertisement