Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciaran_

Wondering has anyone actually succeeded recently in buying a "cash passport". I'm still having no luck even though it's now the only prepaid card to avoid the fees. Tried numerous times and have sent a couple of emails that haven't been replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭noluck

ciaran_ wrote: »
    Wondering has anyone actually succeeded recently in buying a "cash passport". I'm still having no luck even though it's now the only prepaid card to avoid the fees. Tried numerous times and have sent a couple of emails that haven't been replied to.

Do you have an Irish passport?

I noticed this on the application page:

"In order to apply online for a Ryanair Cash Passport, you need to hold a valid Irish passport. For more information please contact cardservices@accessprepaidww.com."

Which means any non-Irish citizens who are legal residents in the country would have no way of escaping the admin fees, which is utterly outrageous if you ask me. I wonder if that's actually legal...

noluck wrote: »

"In order to apply online for a Ryanair Cash Passport, you need to hold a valid Irish passport. For more information please contact cardservices@accessprepaidww.com."

Which means any non-Irish citizens who are legal residents in the country would have no way of escaping the admin fees, which is utterly outrageous if you ask me. I wonder if that's actually legal...

Yep have an Irish passport, and just got an email back form them

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

To protect the security of our customers and in order to comply with anti-money laundering regulations we are required to verify the identity and address of all cardholders before processing a card order. This is carried out using a number of electronic checks.

As you have failed these online checks I am afraid you will be unable to purchase the Ryanair Cash Passport card.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Yours faithfully,

Card Services

I only booked a flight 2 days ago using the same card and they had no problem taking my money (including admin fees)
    WTF:mad:

Edit: This is despite the fact I obviously never gave any card details in my orignal email to them and I also used the same card to book a flight only 2days ago (including admin fees) that they had no problem accepting

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭noluck

What error did you get and at which stage of the application?

I'm getting an "identification failed" error after I enter my credit card details...

What error did you get and at which stage of the application?

I'm getting an "identification failed" error after I enter my credit card details...

Im getting to the final stage and click on buy now but this keeps coming up

"We are unable to continue with your online Ryanair Cash Passport Registration at this time. Please go to www.cashpassport.com/ryanair."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Hiya,

Yesterday, I booked flights with Ryanair and hotels on booking.com with my o2 money card.

I received confirmation of both bookings.

However the money is still in my O2 money card account. What I want to know is why is the money still there, and is it possible that they have rejected my purchases even though they sent me the confirmation email?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The money may be there for a few days but it won't be available to spend.

Once you have the confirmation email you are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

I had no problem with a lot of crap ryanair did so far, always thought they were ****ty service but they'd get you there. Think Dublin Bus.

This, now—it is a deliberate scam and it is thoughtfully designed. It targets non-Irish nationals living in Ireland who are their base customers here and I am sure it is illegal. It will go to ombudsman or some court-like institution and they will repel the fees but by then a year will have passed and they will be already rolling out another scam. Nobody will sue them for €12 will they?

The fact that they reject applicants with Irish passports as well without giving a reason makes it look even more like a rip-off scheme by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 odowdk3

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

To protect the security of our customers and in order to comply with anti-money laundering regulations we are required to verify the identity and address of all cardholders before processing a card order. This is carried out using a number of electronic checks.

As you have failed these online checks I am afraid you will be unable to purchase the Ryanair Cash Passport card.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Yours faithfully,

Card Services

I only booked a flight 2 days ago using the same card and they had no problem taking my money (including admin fees)
    WTF:mad:

Edit: This is despite the fact I obviously never gave any card details in my orignal email to them and I also used the same card to book a flight only 2days ago (including admin fees) that they had no problem accepting

Hi mate,

Have you had any luck with this since? I cannot complete my order and have received the exact same email as you got above from cash passport Uk and US. It appears that we need cash passport to introduce manual process for it to be done on time or there is nothing else we can do.

Infuriating as they have helplines and email addresses but none of them want/can do anything to help ....

If you have found the solution, let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Keep on getting this same message (saying they can't give me a card) emailed them and got the same response as posted above.

Have tried various different Internet browsers, pcs, macs, email addresses etc all with no luck. It is a debit card for fooks sake, there is no security or credit risk possible, that excuse is bollocks.

Have emailed Conor Pope from the Irish Times, this needs to be addressed as they released a press release only on the first trumpeting that Irish consumers can save the admin fee. Have made reference to this site so keep posting your stories....

Emailed the Cash passport people, they said they could take a manual application, filled out the paperwork and sent a scan of the various ID documents they asked for...then got told they thought I was in the UK, they can't take manual applications for residents in Ireland :(

So much for it being an Irish airline !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cash passport is a scam look at the charges. It'll cost you more in the long run.

ted1 wrote: »
    Cash passport is a scam look at the charges. It'll cost you more in the long run.

Looked at the charges, fly a lot so it will still be cheaper (for me anyway).

The scam is saying a card is avaliable when in reality it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just ordered my Cash Passport today, went through fine using Google Chrome.
    My wife is from Wales so we fly over and back with the whole family several times a year.
    Even with the strange T&Cs, the cash passport will save us a lot of money.

LOTS cheaper than the other alternative for us which is Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ted1 wrote: »

You must be looking at a different product to me. So far I have booked 14 flights using it saving me £12 per flight which is £168. Cost to me: nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

selekta wrote: »
    I had no problem with a lot of crap ryanair did so far, always thought they were ****ty service but they'd get you there. Think Dublin Bus.

This, now—it is a deliberate scam and it is thoughtfully designed. It targets non-Irish nationals living in Ireland who are their base customers here and I am sure it is illegal. It will go to ombudsman or some court-like institution and they will repel the fees but by then a year will have passed and they will be already rolling out another scam. Nobody will sue them for €12 will they?

The fact that they reject applicants with Irish passports as well without giving a reason makes it look even more like a rip-off scheme by design.

As a Brit living in Ireland, I do think that this is a disgrace. Like you, I've always defended Ryanair and their charges because there were always ways to get around them and if you were savvy or flexible enough you were fine. This is just a con. What with this and their reserved seating I'm going to be flying less and spending less in 2012. I'm only one customer but they're going to get noticibly less money out of me going forward than they did when they were more reasonably.

The OFT in Britain are going to Court next year over airline fees and hopefully this they do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 m1c

Beefy78 wrote: »
    As a Brit living in Ireland, I do think that this is a disgrace. Like you, I've always defended Ryanair and their charges because there were always ways to get around them and if you were savvy or flexible enough you were fine. This is just a con. What with this and their reserved seating I'm going to be flying less and spending less in 2012. I'm only one customer but they're going to get noticibly less money out of me going forward than they did when they were more reasonably.

The OFT in Britain are going to Court next year over airline fees and hopefully this they do something about it.

As a Polish national I think it is a disgrace that non-Irish are forced to pay Ryanair's 6euro admin fee (cause I cant apply for the Ryanair cash passport). I complained with them and they've written back:
    Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your email and enquiry.

At present we are only accepting applications made online from Irish residents holding an Irish passport. In order to comply with anti-money laundering regulations we are required to verify your identity and your residential address prior to processing an order, our systems can currently only accept Irish passports as a valid form of identity.

Yours sincerely

Bull..it I say!

My response to them was:
    Dear <cust-serv rep name>,
    Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me which 'anti money laundering regulations' you are talking here about? I've never had any problems obtaining similar products (pre-paid MasterCard) through different companies (ie. moneybookers, neteller). They always could verify my address (via utility bill) and nationality (via my Polish passport).

You mentioned that the only form of identity your system can accept is an Irish Passport - but as far as I know that document doesn't provide proof of residential address - it only states nationality. Every body In Ireland (Banks on Credit Card applications for instance) that wants to verify one's address requires an utility bill as a proof of residential address and it does just fine.

I'm finding your policy discriminating based on my nationality. I'm not able to purchase your product based on the fact I'm not Irish. It seems that your product is the only way to avoid Ryanair's 6euro admin fee and I am being forced to get it in order not to pay it, but your policies and terribly designed systems forbid me from applying for it.

If not the fact that I travel with Ryanair quite a bit I would not care about your product (especially after reading through T&C on horrendous fees and penalties you have on it).

I understand the fact that in business is business and you are not charity and want to make money but as far as I know you CAN NOT discriminate customers based on their nationality. (not to mentioned that you are harming your business by the fact that your main customer target for this product would be non-Irish nationals flying to their home countries with Ryanair couple of times a year and willing to buy your product to save money).

As mentioned above I have all reasons to think your practices of not accepting non-Irish applications are illegal and should you not take my application I'll be placing a complaint with relevant authorities.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

I encourage everyone who feels the same as me to do the same.

I know I'll be complaining to NCA (http://www.nca.ie/how-to-complain) shortly.

thanks,
    Michal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

m1c wrote: »
    Beefy78 wrote: »

As a Polish national I think it is a disgrace that non-Irish are forced to pay Ryanair's 6euro admin fee (cause I cant apply for the Ryanair cash passport). I complained with them and they've written back:
    Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your email and enquiry.

At present we are only accepting applications made online from Irish residents holding an Irish passport. In order to comply with anti-money laundering regulations we are required to verify your identity and your residential address prior to processing an order, our systems can currently only accept Irish passports as a valid form of identity.

Yours sincerely

Bull..it I say!

My response to them was:
    Dear <cust-serv rep name>,
    Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me which 'anti money laundering regulations' you are talking here about? I've never had any problems obtaining similar products (pre-paid MasterCard) through different companies (ie. moneybookers, neteller). They always could verify my address (via utility bill) and nationality (via my Polish passport).

You mentioned that the only form of identity your system can accept is an Irish Passport - but as far as I know that document doesn't provide proof of residential address - it only states nationality. Every body In Ireland (Banks on Credit Card applications for instance) that wants to verify one's address requires an utility bill as a proof of residential address and it does just fine.

I'm finding your policy discriminating based on my nationality. I'm not able to purchase your product based on the fact I'm not Irish. It seems that your product is the only way to avoid Ryanair's 6euro admin fee and I am being forced to get it in order not to pay it, but your policies and terribly designed systems forbid me from applying for it.

If not the fact that I travel with Ryanair quite a bit I would not care about your product (especially after reading through T&C on horrendous fees and penalties you have on it).

I understand the fact that in business is business and you are not charity and want to make money but as far as I know you CAN NOT discriminate customers based on their nationality. (not to mentioned that you are harming your business by the fact that your main customer target for this product would be non-Irish nationals flying to their home countries with Ryanair couple of times a year and willing to buy your product to save money).

As mentioned above I have all reasons to think your practices of not accepting non-Irish applications are illegal and should you not take my application I'll be placing a complaint with relevant authorities.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

I encourage everyone who feels the same as me to do the same.

I know I'll be complaining to NCA (http://www.nca.ie/how-to-complain) shortly.

thanks,
    Michal.

Additionally, this type of discrimination breaches Article 24 of EU Directive 2004/38/EC, transposed in to Irish law as Statutory Instrument 656 of 2006.

Solvit can assist with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 m1c

Thanks for that Kotek Besar.

In the mean time I got a response from them saying that: "my email was forwarded to Service Quality Department for further comments"

... whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It has been forwarded to the bin in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Well done, m1c, I might well do the same as I fall into the same category.

I have had several similar prompt, but avoiding-the-issue responses from Ryanair in the past when I have written to them that I can barely be bothered with them any more, and as mentioned previously, manage to fly Aer Lingus or BMI for little, if any, extra. Of the approximately eight single flights I have made in the last 12 months, only one of them was Ryanair.

I am sure the press will get hold of this one before long; you could help them along a bit.

Still cant apply for a cash passport. I'v tried every browser at this stage, very frustrating. Customer service only reply every few days and have told me told to try google chrome and internet explorer, both of which haven't worked. Anyone else having similar problems?:confused:

Try a different computer if you have access to one.

Try a different computer if you have access to one.

Thanks i'll give this a go over the weekend,one of the only things I haven't tried at this stage, booked a flight for Wednesday week and they had no problem accepting my card + €12 admin fee!:(

Got the card today and booked return flights to the UK with no problems...saved me €47 in charges.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Can anyone help me, booked flights for my mam's friend, left out a letter in her surname by mistake. Would she have to pay for a name change or get away with it? Or should I ring Ryanair and explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

This is not the case.
    I have an entropay prepaid Mastercard, billing address in Ireland, but currency is sterling.
    I can not buy ANY flights now on the Ryanair site fore any money...it comes up with a payment error message.

New email from Entropay

Dear ,

You may have recently experienced difficulty using our MasterCard cards when making bookings at Ryanair. Knowing the value our customers place on purchasing at Ryanair, we promptly investigated the matter with MasterCard and discovered the problem originates outside of our systems.

Upon further examination and with MasterCard's assistance, we learned that Ryanair has started to decline our cards as a method of payment. We are working closely with MasterCard – and Ryanair – to find a solution that will once again allow our cards to be used for Ryanair purchases.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and will keep you updated on our progress.

Kind regards,

EntroPay Support Team
    support@entropay.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Beagslife wrote: »
    This is not the case.
    I have an entropay prepaid Mastercard, billing address in Ireland, but currency is sterling.
    I can not buy ANY flights now on the Ryanair site fore any money...it comes up with a payment error message.

New email from Entropay

Dear ,

You may have recently experienced difficulty using our MasterCard cards when making bookings at Ryanair. Knowing the value our customers place on purchasing at Ryanair, we promptly investigated the matter with MasterCard and discovered the problem originates outside of our systems.

Upon further examination and with MasterCard's assistance, we learned that Ryanair has started to decline our cards as a method of payment. We are working closely with MasterCard – and Ryanair – to find a solution that will once again allow our cards to be used for Ryanair purchases.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and will keep you updated on our progress.

Kind regards,

EntroPay Support Team
    support@entropay.com

Jesus, if that's true how can O'Leary get away with it? He preaches that Ryanair's admin fee is an avoidable optional fee, but behind the scenes his company, allegedly, is actively removing the option to avoid it??

Advertisement