Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Ryanair have been having a lot of technical problems with online check-in - for instance people entering all of their details and complete the online check-in form correctly. However the boarding pass comes up and none of the deatils are present and then people are unable to edit it afterwards.

Do people here think that it is acceptable then that you then have to call a premium rate number considering it wasn't your fault and now it's going to end up costing you a considerable amount?

I'm sure all of the Ryanair fan boys will have some smart comment about what one should do in this situation but most people would just like to call someone to clear it up and not have it cost €1.75 a minute. Fuking joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

jetski wrote: »
    I booked flights last night and never recieved an email with my details.. :mad:

Old post but perhaps you've not flown yet. Check your credit card statement either on paper or on line, Ryanair quote the ticket code in the billing transaction details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

they are now advertising €10 seats with 'no other taxes, fees or charges'

What about baggage charges, airport check in fees and the almost unavoidable (for irish customers) credit card fee?

This is blatant false advertising, there is not even an asterix and some small print warning that the declaration doesn't include their usual add ons.

I'm a big believer in a free market, charge what youlike. However make these prices transparent so that the consumer can make an informed, rational decision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

What about
    baggage charges
    You can bring 10kg free as carry on luggage so this is optional.
    airport check in fees
    If you do not bring checked in luggage then you do not need to check in at the airport.
    the almost unavoidable (for irish customers) credit card fee?
    It is avoidable though. Someone posted about getting the Visa Electron giftcard that worked.
    This is blatant false advertising, there is not even an asterix and some small print warning that the declaration doesn't include their usual add ons.
    Luggage is not a usual add-on for example.

The people that do not know how to use no-frills airlines are the ones that end up paying the most. There are ways to use them at their cheapest. I have flown with them on about 25 return trips in the last 2.5-3 years.
    I'm a big believer in a free market, charge what youlike. However make these prices transparent so that the consumer can make an informed, rational decision
    If you have a visa electron card then you can get it at the advertised price.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What about baggage charges, airport check in fees and the almost unavoidable (for irish customers) credit card fee?

I booked a flight recently, which was adding one person to an already booked group on the same flight. The flight was now part of an offer like you describe, and was €15 with no initial fees added (which they usually are, you see them on screen as you select your flights). The next page you come to is where you select your baggage, insurance and check in options, but if you check in online with no baggage and pay by electron, 15 per flight is all you pay. Its only if you want some add ons that you pay extra. The flight I booked was substantially cheaper than the seats on the same flight I booked weeks ago. So there is some truth to what they maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I agree with you on the c/card fee - it is a bit of a pain that this isn't showing up front, given that the majority of people don't have Visa electron cards. Though on the other hand, it is avoidable, and the flight is available for the advertised price, so it's not false advertising.

If you choose to check in baggage or check in at the airport, that's your own decision, you pay extra for it, but no-one's forcing you to do it. I booked 5 flights last week for a total of 30 euro, 25 of that c/c charges. Would have cost me a couple of hundred with anyone else, so I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What about baggage charges, airport check in fees
    They also missed out the cost of a hang sambo and a cup of tea on the flight too along with the other essentials.

Shocking stuff. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

In order to get the advertised flight, each person in your party needs the following

1. No bag to check-in
    2. Be able to check-in online (there are currently plenty of exclusions as to who can check in online and who must check-in at the desk)
    3. No piority boarding
    4. No insurance
    5. Pay using a Visa Electron card (in the UK, they are rare. In Ireland, they are even rarer)

axer wrote: »
    You can bring 10kg free as carry on luggage so this is optional.

If you do not bring checked in luggage then you do not need to check in at the airport.

It is avoidable though. Someone posted about getting the Visa Electron giftcard that worked.

Luggage is not a usual add-on for example.

The people that do not know how to use no-frills airlines are the ones that end up paying the most. There are ways to use them at their cheapest. I have flown with them on about 25 return trips in the last 2.5-3 years.

If you have a visa electron card then you can get it at the advertised price.

they advertise fares that they say have "NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES" with no other caveat /disclaimer whatsoever (i.e. a disclaimer saying t&Cs apply, doesn't apply to CC users etc) hence their banner ad is FALSE.

they advertise fares that they say have "NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES" with no other caveat /disclaimer whatsoever (i.e. a disclaimer saying t&Cs apply, doesn't apply to CC users etc) hence their banner ad is FALSE.
    It depends which way you look at it. It is possible to have "NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES" which is what they are pushing. If you can show me that it is impossible then I will agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its already been said here, but those who dont know the Ryanair system or are using it for the first time get nabbed for additional charges, and are often furious about it. Those familiar with air travel Ryanair style get cute, and are very careful when booking, and so, tend not to get caught for additional charges.

I liken it to shopping at a discount supermarket. The first or second time you get caught out buying the stuff that isnt great, but after a while you get used to their limitations and buy only what you know is priced right or is good quality.

Ryanair are now huge, one of the biggest airlines in the world. They couldnt give a hoot about bad publicity, they see all publicity as good. They walk very close to the legal line with most of their practices, and wait to be pulled up if they ever cross it. Their size gives them the ability to do this with impunity. Its not perfect, but thats large corporations for you. I still say bravo to them, in spite of their flaws, many people could not afford to travel as much as they do without Ryanair.

Oryx wrote: »
    They walk very close to the legal line with most of their practices
    What a load of unfounded rubbish.

Ryanair have been having a lot of technical problems with online check-in - for instance people entering all of their details and complete the online check-in form correctly. However the boarding pass comes up and none of the deatils are present and then people are unable to edit it afterwards.

Do people here think that it is acceptable then that you then have to call a premium rate number considering it wasn't your fault and now it's going to end up costing you a considerable amount?

I'm sure all of the Ryanair fan boys will have some smart comment about what one should do in this situation but most people would just like to call someone to clear it up and not have it cost €1.75 a minute. Fuking joke...

I can only assume that the lack of reponses to my question mean that all the Ryanair fanboys know I'm right and that this a is a disgrace.

Thanks.

Ryanair, get your act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Question - apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Attempted to book a Ryanair flight a couple of days ago - went through to the confirm stage - clicked confirm but the internet page went to an error page before I got a confirm number. Checked my e-mail and received no confirmation so I assumed that the flight booking did not go through.

Went back the 2 days later and booked a slightly different flight instead (different time). Was shocked to then subsequently receive a Ryanair e-mail with confirmation of the original attempted booking - checked my cc statement and was charged.

Tried sending e-mails, etc eventually got through to someone on a helpline who basically told me to write/fax a complaint and that she couldn't give a refund in this scenario as it was a different flight. Proceeded to tell me I could change it, get another name on it etc for a charge - nope I just want a refund.

What are my chances of a refund? - asides from the actual cost it is a real pain to have to be sending letters, ringing, writing posts on boards!!, etc.

It depends which way you look at it. It is possible to have "NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES" which is what they are pushing. If you can show me that it is impossible then I will agree with you.

The way I look at it, this means no other taxes fees and charges, seeing as they don't point out any exceptions in their banner ad, and there's no small print referenced in said ad then its safe for any reasonable person to assume there are no exceptions.

It is possible to book and pay no other fees etc but it is so very very easy to have to pay more eg if you do something as trivial as pay with your day to day credit card then there is an additional charge (they don't accept laser and a lot of punters will not even be aware of the existance of VISA electron). That to me is false advertising

even looking at it from a 'fair play' angle rather than a legal angle take what this poster said:
    In order to get the advertised flight, each person in your party needs the following

1. No bag to check-in
    2. Be able to check-in online (there are currently plenty of exclusions as to who can check in online and who must check-in at the desk)
    3. No piority boarding
    4. No insurance
    5. Pay using a Visa Electron card (in the UK, they are rare. In Ireland, they are even rarer)

I assume that people paying any additional charge accounts for at the very least 95% of their Irish customers (very conservative estimate). So do you have a headline ad that will apply to 95% or 5% of your customers?

I don't understand how people come out with the 'its ryanair what do you expect?' line. If prices were advertised in this manner in a supermarket or clothes shop then the same people would be up in arms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Plus 10 wrote: »

Tried sending e-mails, etc eventually got through to someone on a helpline who basically told me to write/fax a complaint and that she couldn't give a refund in this scenario as it was a different flight. Proceeded to tell me I could change it, get another name on it etc for a charge - nope I just want a refund.

What are my chances of a refund? - asides from the actual cost it is a real pain to have to be sending letters, ringing, writing posts on boards!!, etc.

Hope you did not ring the 1570 premium rate number or you will have another nice little charge on you phone bill.

The way I look at it, this means no other taxes fees and charges, seeing as they don't point out any exceptions in their banner ad, and there's no small print referenced in said ad then its safe for any reasonable person to assume there are no exceptions.
    I can see it now

"NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES"**

** you may be charged for a ham sandwich if you choose to purchase one
    It is possible to book and pay no other fees
    Thank you.

axer - what is your estimate of the % of people who would pay the advertised price? Ignore 1, 3 & 4 from the above list.

I started using Ryanair 15 years ago and I think they have been brilliant for air travel between Ireland and Britain. This does not mean that I agree with their methods. It is quite clear that a minority of people would even qualify to get the advertised price.

axer - what is your estimate of the % of people who would pay the advertised price? Ignore 1, 3 & 4 from the above list.
    Not a clue - you got any figures?

No idea although here are the requirements for 2.
    To qualify for Online Check-in each passenger must present either a valid passport or National Identity Card (Driving licences not accepted), issued by either the government of an EU/ European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland which matches the document details printed on their online boarding pass, at both airport security and the departure gate. (See paragraph headed "Documentation" for details of accepted EEA National Identity Cards).

The following passengers do not qualify for Online Check-In:

* Passengers travelling with checked baggage
    * Children aged between 14-18 years travelling alone
    * Passengers travelling with infants (*)
    * Passengers travelling with mobility equipment (including children's pushchairs)
    * Passengers with reduced mobility, blind/vision impaired passengers including those travelling with a sighted companion or guide dog (*)
    * Passengers who require special assistance at the airport (*)
    * Online Check-In is not available from Malta, Romania or to/from Moroccan airports.
    * Passengers travelling on a passport which is due to expire within 30 days from the date of travel.
    * When there are more than 9 passengers booked in a reservation
    * Passengers travelling on the same reservation with a passenger who is not entitled to Online Check-in.
    * Passengers who have booked and extra seat for the carriage of musical instruments etc. or for comfort.

At the moment I do not qualify as I do not have a passport and my two sons do not qualify as they travel on my wifes passport. I will be getting a passport when I actually need to travel to a country that requires one.

I do not know anybody in Ireland who can get a Visa Electron debit card. I have one although I had to open a special account to get one as none of the banks (here) offer them with their standard current accounts.

Taking the above into account, I would say the majority of people in Ireland do not pay the advertised price and that is just based on 2 & 5 above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I use Ryanair 4-6 times per annum and the one thing I've learnt over the years is

'Remember it is nothing more than a bus service in the sky'.

Sure I know people get irritated by their method of advertising but whether we like it or not they're still the cheapest way of getting from A to (somewhere near) B.

In recent years the likes of Aer Lingus and Aer Arann have reduced their prices but overall they're still not offering cheaper deals than Ryanair.

Air Travel has been very cheap for sometime now and largely thanks to the likes of Ryanair. I have no particular affection for them but just see them purely the cheapest bus service and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

How would phoning them sort out a problem with printing a boarding pass?

How would phoning them sort out a problem with printing a boarding pass?

Are you for real? Is that the best you can come up with?

[Ryanair] Hi, How can I help you?

[Me] I checked in online but the deatils I entered are not on the boarding pass and now I can't edit it.

[Ryanair] What's your No?

[Me] ZXDRES34

[Ryanair] Ah yes, I see it now Mr Lebowski, Let me just correct that for you.................now Mr Lebowski, if you go back in to the system, you'll see that all your details are now present and you can re-print it out.

[Me] Thanks very much for your excellent customer service, I must fly with this company more regularly

[Ryanair] You're welcome, Bye.

[Me] Bye

This is one possible scenario. Another may be that the rep might say, sorry I don't know what I can do but I'll pass you on to someone who does.

Complicated isn't it?

I can see it now

"NO OTHER TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES"**

** you may be charged for a ham sandwich if you choose to purchase one

you're getting ridiculous now, that is not a tax, fee or charge. you are purchasing foodstuff on board, a completely seperate transaction to booking a flight

My last input on the matter (especially looking at the depths of nonsense you dropped to above). TO BOOK THE FLIGHT USING A CREDIT CARD YOU ARE CHARGED. It makes no reference to this in the banner ad, despite it surely being the method of payment for the vast majority of Irish customers, does not refer you to any small print, or state that exceptions apply. To me that indicates there are no exceptions. However there are depending on something as trivial as your payment method (lets forget about people who have the 'cheek' to want to bring check in luggage on a trip away, especially toilettries seeing as they can't put them in hand luggage). Just because you personally know about this in advance doesn't say that everyone will know.

Take, hypothetically, someone who's never heard of ryanair. They aren't wise to their tricks. They see a flight advertised for €10 and a banner ad saying that no other taxes and fees apply. As I have said over and over again the ad does not state that terms and conditions apply, that this is only the case if irish customers use visa electron etc etc etc. Do you not think its reasonable for this complete novice to believe that they will be charged €10 and €10 only no matter what their payment method (remember that nowhere in the banner ad did it say that the availability of this fare depended on payment method)?

If anyone here went into dunnes and was charged 10% extra, say, at the til and this was in no way advertised BEFORE you actually got to the til (either because of payment method or any other facious logic) then would any of you apply the same thinking? I think the answer is no seeing how many times threads appear on here about being charged different prices than advertised in high street stores

It makes no reference to this in the banner ad, despite it surely being the method of payment for the vast majority of Irish customers
    Ryanair have never announced percentages of which Irish customers use which payment methods so this can only be your opinion.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Ryanair have never announced percentages of which Irish customers use which payment methods so this can only be your opinion.

I said its must 'surely' be

Obviously an opinion, but an educated guess.

I personally don't know a single person who's ever used visa electron at all, never mind to book a ryanair flight. What are other posters experiences (or non experiences) of Visa electron

EDIT: Btw the % of people using electron is irrelevant. Their ad does not specify that the fare is dependant on using a certain payment method, and therefore (IMO) has the potential to mislead customers.

Ticketmaster service charges are another example of a rip off (IMO again) but any ad I've ever seen from them not only specifies that a service charge is applied but tells you how much said charge will be

National Consumer Agency seemed to agree with me when i contacted them.

They are 'investigating the matter further'

I personally don't know a single person who's ever used visa electron at all, never mind to book a ryanair flight. What are other posters experiences (or non experiences) of Visa electron
    You can get the VISA electron gift card from MBNA.
    EDIT: Btw the % of people using electron is irrelevant. Their ad does not specify that the fare is dependant on using a certain payment method, and therefore (IMO) has the potential to mislead customers.
    You have the option to check the fees before purchasing thus if you do not agree to the fees that are there you do not have to continue with the purchase.
    Ticketmaster service charges are another example of a rip off (IMO again) but any ad I've ever seen from them not only specifies that a service charge is applied but tells you how much said charge will be
    Ticketmaster is different since I believe you cannot avoid their service charge.

You have the option to check the fees before purchasing thus if you do not agree to the fees that are there you do not have to continue with the purchase.

Nowhere have I doubted this assertion in fact you quoted me above when i said it is possible to pay the advertised fare (altho this is if and only if you use visa electron.)

My point is that the advert is misleading as it does not stipulate that the fare advertised is dependant on the payment method used (either by referencing T&Cs or via small print etc etc). if you are going to try and convince me otherwise (i.e. there is no way that any reasonable person could find this misleading) then go ahead.

I contacted the NCA yesterday the second I saw this on their website. Got a call from a guy today who said he was passing on the complaint and assured me it was being investigated. Agreed that it was totally misleading and was wondering could he contact me again if necessary, but the detail in my e-mail should be sufficient (basically it contained a summary of my posts here, does not stipulate that the fare advertised is dependant on the payment method used => misleading)

• Advertisement

You can get the VISA electron gift card from MBNA.

I am well aware of that

Advertisement