Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I flew for the first time with Ryanair recently was had a great experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Has anyone used the edreams website?

Tried entering the Dublin to Edinburgh route and it cameback offering Ryanair.com fares less a discount of €9.

Is this for real, and how have they managed to circumvent the ridiculous Ryanair.com security that I thought was supposed to be there to stop other travel websites searching and booking fares?

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/price-comparison-websites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So back in February I attempted to book a Ryanair flight from Madrid to Dublin for travel in July. I accidentally booked the flight going in the wrong direction ...so from Dublin to Madrid, my bad. The full cost was debited from my credit card in the same month.

In March I used the Ryanair booking change facility to change the flight so that I would be traveling Madrid-Dublin (this worked out a bit cheaper than booking an entirely new flight). Again, the additional cost was fully debited from my credit card that month.

In July I took the flight, there was nothing eventful about it, I used self check-in and had hand luggage only. Today I check my credit card statement and I see that Ryanair have debited my card for an additional €18.24 a month after the flight and the transaction reference on my card is the same booking reference number as the above two booking transactions.

Does anyone have any idea what or why they have done this? Ryanair only have listed a premium rate number to contact them with, which I'm not willing to pay for. The only other options I can think of is to dispute the transaction with my credit card company or to complain to the regulator (or both). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this or possible explanation for this extra charge? I haven't received any communication from them about this extra cost. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Write to them and dispute the charge with your CC company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

AngryLips wrote: »
    So back in February I attempted to book a Ryanair flight from Madrid to Dublin for travel in July. I accidentally booked the flight going in the wrong direction ...so from Dublin to Madrid, my bad. The full cost was debited from my credit card in the same month.

In March I used the Ryanair booking change facility to change the flight so that I would be traveling Madrid-Dublin (this worked out a bit cheaper than booking an entirely new flight). Again, the additional cost was fully debited from my credit card that month.

In July I took the flight, there was nothing eventful about it, I used self check-in and had hand luggage only. Today I check my credit card statement and I see that Ryanair have debited my card for an additional €18.24 a month after the flight and the transaction reference on my card is the same booking reference number as the above two booking transactions.

Does anyone have any idea what or why they have done this? Ryanair only have listed a premium rate number to contact them with, which I'm not willing to pay for. The only other options I can think of is to dispute the transaction with my credit card company or to complain to the regulator (or both). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this or possible explanation for this extra charge? I haven't received any communication from them about this extra cost. :confused:

Check your email they should be emails from them about the charge, the charge is because the Airport taxes that came into place from July 1st for all flight from Spain

If you check the Ryanair news here there could be more.

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    Check your email they should be emails from them about the charge, the charge is because the Airport taxes that came into place from July 1st for all flight from Spain

If you check the Ryanair news here there could be more.

Here is the link you're talking about.

The first thing I did when I saw the transaction was to check my emails and I got nothing from them about it. I don't think they have a right to do this, can anyone confirm? And even if they have, they've done it without notice and I kinda take issue with that. My understanding is taxes are applied according to transaction date, or is that just in the case of VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

The first thing I did when I saw the transaction was to check my emails and I got nothing from them about it. I don't think they have a right to do this, can anyone confirm? And even if they have, they've done it without notice and I kinda take issue with that. My understanding is taxes are applied according to transaction date, or is that just in the case of VAT?

I haven't check the legality of it but probably is in the T&C's.

Not sure why you didn't get any, in my case I received I think 2 or more email's to let me know about the possible charges (that was on the 1st week on July but they didn't know how much as were waiting for Spanish Authorities) in it said that if I didn't agree with the charge I could cancel. Once they knew the charge I got an email with the amount and a link to cancel if I didn't agree of with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Departure tax is applicable on the date you depart not book. Most airlines will probably absorb it and I doubt it is illegal to charge you the legal departure tax amount

Departure tax is applicable on the date you depart not book. Most airlines will probably absorb it and I doubt it is illegal to charge you the legal departure tax amount

The air travel tax in Ireland is applied in respect of each traveling passenger but levied against the airline - not the passenger. In the case of a passenger traveling out of Ireland, whether or not the tax is itemised as part of the ticket is up to the airline you're traveling with. However, the airline is not obliged to do so since it is not a tax on the passenger. I'm not sure if this is the case in Spain but, either way, I didn't receive notice in advance of my travel date (or after) so I think I'm going to dispute this charge and complain to the regulator.

Not sure why you didn't get any, in my case I received I think 2 or more email's to let me know about the possible charges (that was on the 1st week on July but they didn't know how much as were waiting for Spanish Authorities) in it said that if I didn't agree with the charge I could cancel.

If I had to guess I would say that I wasn't identified as one of the passengers to contact because I availed of the change of flight option on the Ryanair website as part of that booking ...ie my original flight was originating in Dublin. Sloppy reporting on their part if they didn't cross reference the people they contacted against the people they chose to apply the charge for.

• Advertisement

The air travel tax in Ireland is applied in respect of each traveling passenger but levied against the airline - not the passenger. In the case of a passenger traveling out of Ireland, whether or not the tax is itemised as part of the ticket is up to the airline you're traveling with. However, the airline is not obliged to do so since it is not a tax on the passenger. I'm not sure if this is the case in Spain but, either way, I didn't receive notice in advance of my travel date (or after) so I think I'm going to dispute this charge and complain to the regulator.

It is clear that APD is levied against the passenger rather than the airline. The airline collects on behalf of the Government. Good luck pursueing this as you will have agreed that Ryanair can charge you this when you booked your ticket. Find the T&C's and have a read

It is clear that APD is levied against the passenger rather than the airline. The airline collects on behalf of the Government. Good luck pursueing this as you will have agreed that Ryanair can charge you this when you booked your ticket. Find the T&C's and have a read

Okay, well interpret it as you like, but Revenue is fairly concise on the subject:
    An airline operator (that is, the operator or registered owner of an aircraft operating or offering an air passenger service) is liable to pay the ATT in respect of passengers departing on its aircraft

Changing the cost of a product or service after the payment has been made (ie once the contract has been entered into) is contrary to consumer rules. Should the associated T&Cs conflict with that legislation then it is the legislation that takes precedent.

Well, good luck on your challenge then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I haven't check the legality of it but probably is in the T&C's.

Think it came up here before , but it is in the T+Cs:
    4.2.2 Taxes, fees and charges imposed on air travel are constantly changing and can be imposed after the date that your reservation has been made. If any such tax, fee or charge is introduced or increased after your reservation has been made you will be obliged to pay it (or any increase) prior to departure. Similarly, if any such tax, fee or charge is abolished or reduced such that it no longer applies to you, or a lesser amount is due, you will be entitled to claim a refund of the difference from us.

Although it does say prior to departure, so they haven't really covered themselves for billing someone a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Sounds completely out of order to me, charging you (a) without telling you and (b) 1 month after the flight. T&C 4.2.2 above clearly says it needs to paid before the flight, ie Ryanair needed to have collected it before the flight. They didn't.

If you paid by credit card, I'd explain the situation to to them. It might be quickest and most likely route to getting a refund, which is what you want. Alternatively, try writing to one of the travel writers in one of the Irish / UK newspapers and let them deal with it. Makes for a good travel story for them.

You'd need to be prepared for a long battle if you go through the airline. It takes an inordinate amount of time and effort for the regulator to bring Ryanair to task. One fare-paying passenger doesn't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I booked flights for my daughter and 2 mates yestereday to fly to Manchester.
    There was only one Mastercard transaction, why was I charged 3 fees (3x12 Euro).

Surely this is wrong and illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pmn

Do ya know all bank details fo initial amount? I've received an email with that information:

Bank Details: Royal Bank of Scotland

Beneficiary/Payee: Access Prepaid Worldwide Ltd.

IBAN Account Number: GB32ABNA40503040220729

BIC (SWIFT): ABNAGB2L

but BOI requires more information as bank address,and payee's address. Do ya know that details?

And should I sent only €10 of initial amount or a minimum of €175?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The bank and sort code details for that IBAN are below (RBS bought ABN Amro BTW) are below.

http://www.findsortcodes.co.uk/sortcode/405030

To be honest the IBAN on its own should be enough it's just BOI being a pain as they used to need those details before IBANs were created.

Think you need to put in the minimum amount.

• Advertisement

Thank you!

And would you advise me about payee's/beneficiary details as well, as they are required by BOI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The payees details would just be Access Prepaid Worldwide Ltd.

Their address is

WORLDWIDE HOUSE
    THORPE WOOD
    PETERBOROUGH
    PE3 6SB
    UK

Do ya have any experience with topping that card up through bank transfer? Do they charge €3 then as reloading online using Master Card/Visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bastille1d

Hi there,
    I sent Cash Passport application and documents by email on Thur last week, and I didn't receive email confirmation / bank details.

How long it takes to receive the confirmation and process of the order?
    Thanks

I had sent my application last Thu as well and received positive answer and bank details for initial amount next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bastille1d

thanks, got it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sneaky feckers.

Tried to book flights there. They don't exactly make it as easy as possible to opt out of the insurance.

I skipped the box completely as I didn't want any.
    Went to proceed got told I had to select a nationallity in the insurance box. Selected nationality and immediately had insurance added to the flight.
    Read the bit where it sasys you can select do not insure in the drop down box.
    Went back to drop down box and didn't see it.
    Went to proceed again wondering was there an opt out later on.
    There wasn't.
    Went back and started the process again.
    Eventually spotted the "do not cover me" option in the drop down box.
    It's not at the top, it's not at the bottom, it's not there in alphabetical order either (all 3 places you woudl assume it could be) - it's sandwiched between latvia and lithuania.
    How many people pay for insurance they don't want ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Loads, but some folks are too dumb to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sneaky feckers.

Tried to book flights there. They don't exactly make it as easy as possible to opt out of the insurance.

I skipped the box completely as I didn't want any.
    Went to proceed got told I had to select a nationallity in the insurance box. Selected nationality and immediately had insurance added to the flight.
    Read the bit where it sasys you can select do not insure in the drop down box.
    Went back to drop down box and didn't see it.
    Went to proceed again wondering was there an opt out later on.
    There wasn't.
    Went back and started the process again.
    Eventually spotted the "do not cover me" option in the drop down box.
    It's not at the top, it's not at the bottom, it's not there in alphabetical order either (all 3 places you woudl assume it could be) - it's sandwiched between latvia and lithuania.
    How many people pay for insurance they don't want ?

Exactly what happened me today. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

amdublin wrote: »
    Exactly what happened me today. Disgraceful.

Happened to me before, just send them an e-mail saying it was an error and they will refund your card.

Advertisement