Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Four of us going to Glasgow for the Celtic v Barca match in November (Tues to Fri).
    No checked in bags - I ain't Imelda Marcos.
    No priority boarding - plane ain't going anywhere 'til I get on (naturally I will be at boarding gate on time).
    No reserved seat - never had to stand yet.
    No insurance bought. (have annual)
    No suitcase bought - how hard is it to tick "no thanks".
    No car hired - ditto.
    Booked in ten minutes.
    €44 each.

Cher agus ching!

While Aer Lingus are generally better when things go tits-up (flight delay), you can't beat Ryanair for the bargains!

(I've just tempted fate, haven't I :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

shar01 wrote: »
    While Aer Lingus are generally better when things go tits-up (flight delay), you can't beat Ryanair for the bargains!

Not been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I see they have a App now (available on Itunes)

Seems to be just for searching flights / managing your booking.

Being Ryanair, the App will set you back €2.99

Brilliant!! :D

Never miss an opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No different to a lot of apps then. I find that a lot of them charge you for an app that offers very little over the internet

No different to a lot of apps then. I find that a lot of them charge you for an app that offers very little over the internet

I'm not giving out, I always fly Ryanair - was just an observation.

All other airlines (or those i quickly searched), their Apps are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hi, we (him & her) booked return flights to manchester, out on fri 14th sept back on sun 16th, him cant make the outward flight so he booked another one for the sat morning, question is will ryanair try to pull a fast one on the return portion of his original flight saying that he "didn't travel on the outward so therefore the return is not valid" or am i just being overly suspicious of them (ryanair) :confused::confused::confused:

Hi, we (him & her) booked return flights to manchester, out on fri 14th sept back on sun 16th, him cant make the outward flight so he booked another one for the sat morning, question is will ryanair try to pull a fast one on the return portion of his original flight saying that he "didn't travel on the outward so therefore the return is not valid" or am i just being overly suspicious of them (ryanair) :confused::confused::confused:

You are being overly suspicious. If he has a valid booking and a valid boarding card, whether he made his outbound flight or not won't matter. If you look at the boarding card, it doesnt say return on it. The check in desk have know way of knowing whether its a return or not. The "return" flight is really just a feature of the website where by you dont have to go through the whole process of booking twice to book an outbound and a return flight. Every where else, they are considered single flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No you'll be fine. Some airlines would cause an issue with that but even if you book a return journey on their website Ryanair consider them to be two individual flights and therefore if you miss the outbound flight your return ticket is still valid. I've done it myself a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

stupid question I know, but can you check-in online for a return flight before you've taken the outward flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yes you can.

• Advertisement

PopTarts wrote: »
    I see they have a App now (available on Itunes)

Seems to be just for searching flights / managing your booking.

Being Ryanair, the App will set you back €2.99

Brilliant!! :D

Never miss an opportunity!

Way around the charge... :p

l9MHi.png

Akgzs.jpg

jyeSo.jpg

Sorry to nitpick but is that not just the regular ryanair site in the browser of an iphone?

I'd be interested in the app, because the ryanair site is tricky to navigate on a full size computer never mind a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sneaky feckers.

Tried to book flights there. They don't exactly make it as easy as possible to opt out of the insurance.

I skipped the box completely as I didn't want any.
    Went to proceed got told I had to select a nationallity in the insurance box. Selected nationality and immediately had insurance added to the flight.
    Read the bit where it sasys you can select do not insure in the drop down box.
    Went back to drop down box and didn't see it.
    Went to proceed again wondering was there an opt out later on.
    There wasn't.
    Went back and started the process again.
    Eventually spotted the "do not cover me" option in the drop down box.
    It's not at the top, it's not at the bottom, it's not there in alphabetical order either (all 3 places you woudl assume it could be) - it's sandwiched between latvia and lithuania.
    How many people pay for insurance they don't want ?

Wow ... you've never tried to book an Easyjet flight have you :rolleyes:

syklops wrote: »
    Sorry to nitpick but is that not just the regular ryanair site in the browser of an iphone?

I'd be interested in the app, because the ryanair site is tricky to navigate on a full size computer never mind a phone.

It was a joke :pac:

Anyway the App isn't much different to using m.ryanair.com which is a user friendly mobile version of the site and very easy to navigate on a phone.

:)

And you save yourself €2.99.

I liked this Irish Times article re Ryanair charging for their App when no other Airline does..

Also (or for me anyway) the ad at the top of the link is for Aer Lingus!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/minibyte/2012/09/05/ryanair-unveils-its-mobile-app/

A friend of mine was booking a flight with Ryanair yesterday and couldn't remove the travel insurance which they'd added to the total. Thinking she was doing it wrong and telling her that she just needed to select 'no insurance required' from the drop down, I went over to her to show her but they'd taken that box away and there was no way to remove the travel insurance.

Has anyone else tried to book in the last day or so? I'm assuming that there was just an error on the site which was making insurance compulsory...

Wow ... you've never tried to book an Easyjet flight have you

On the subject of Easyjet, I note that they're doing away with unallocated seating. Don't know if that's a sign of the way that the business is going or just a reflection that they're trying to differentiate themselves from Ryanair.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was booking a flight with Ryanair yesterday and couldn't remove the travel insurance which they'd added to the total. Thinking she was doing it wrong and telling her that she just needed to select 'no insurance required' from the drop down, I went over to her to show her but they'd taken that box away and there was no way to remove the travel insurance.

Has anyone else tried to book in the last day or so? I'm assuming that there was just an error on the site which was making insurance compulsory...

The option of no insurance used to be in the middle of the drop down menu.

It now seems to be at the very end and labelled "travel without insure"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive noticed they make subtle changes like that now and again to catch the unwary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sneaky feckers.

Tried to book flights there. They don't exactly make it as easy as possible to opt out of the insurance.

I skipped the box completely as I didn't want any.
    Went to proceed got told I had to select a nationallity in the insurance box. Selected nationality and immediately had insurance added to the flight.
    Read the bit where it sasys you can select do not insure in the drop down box.
    Went back to drop down box and didn't see it.
    Went to proceed again wondering was there an opt out later on.
    There wasn't.
    Went back and started the process again.
    Eventually spotted the "do not cover me" option in the drop down box.
    It's not at the top, it's not at the bottom, it's not there in alphabetical order either (all 3 places you woudl assume it could be) - it's sandwiched between latvia and lithuania.
    How many people pay for insurance they don't want ?

Wow ... you've never tried to book an Easyjet flight have you :rolleyes:

No I haven't but that's irrelevant. The thread is about Ryanair. The website is set up in such a manner to attempt to trick people into buying the insurance. If easy jet do similar then they too are being sly and underhand.

Wow. I usually think I'm pretty savvy but I missed that completely.

The swines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I'm not sure if I've gone blind or stupid or if they've changed it again, but I can't even see the drop-down menu for Travel Insurance...

If someone could post a screen-grab with an X-marks-the-spot, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Went back & started again and the drop-down was there...

I booked flights yesterday and it is at the end of the drop down menu labelled 'Travel without insure'. It is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

We (2 adults & 2 sixteen year olds) arrived at departure gate 102 last friday with 3 cases within the limits and 1 small backpack. One of the teens pulled a case and was wearing the backpack as my wife wasn't feeling great.
    A lady from Ryanair stopped the teen and demanded she put the backpack into a case.
    I explained that the case belonged to my wife and that we had 1 item each as per regulations. She was having none of it and demanded the repack which made the case too big for the test frame.
    She then demanded 50 euro to check in the bag. I told her the kid had not the money. She then demanded my credit card which I refused.
    A stand off then occurred up until the plane was due to depart. Another 2 Ryanair male staff members were telling her to cop on all though this episode but she was determined and wrote out a credit card form. I had paid 800 euro for the flights.
    We also had a case checked in, the plane could not depart without it being offloaded. When she realised this she tried to put pressure on me to pay quickly which I still refused.
    She finally told me to take the case and get on the plane.
    She was an awful tramp who fits the Ryanair organisation perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Imagine being one of the reasonable males having to work with this woman who can't see that 1+1+1+1 equals 1+1+2+0. Poor chaps. Hope they report her.

Well done on standing your ground; your anchor seems to have been the suitcase you checked in.

€800 - hardly cheap flights (but presumably cheaper or more convenient than the alternatives when you booked) - and they still wanted more. Just shows you can be treated like s*1t however much you've paid.

sparksfly wrote: »
    We (2 adults & 2 sixteen year olds) arrived at departure gate 102 last friday with 3 cases within the limits and 1 small backpack. One of the teens pulled a case and was wearing the backpack as my wife wasn't feeling great.
    A lady from Ryanair stopped the teen and demanded she put the backpack into a case.
    I explained that the case belonged to my wife and that we had 1 item each as per regulations. She was having none of it and demanded the repack which made the case too big for the test frame.
    She then demanded 50 euro to check in the bag. I told her the kid had not the money. She then demanded my credit card which I refused.
    A stand off then occurred up until the plane was due to depart. Another 2 Ryanair male staff members were telling her to cop on all though this episode but she was determined and wrote out a credit card form. I had paid 800 euro for the flights.
    We also had a case checked in, the plane could not depart without it being offloaded. When she realised this she tried to put pressure on me to pay quickly which I still refused.

I know the Ryanair (or was it a service company) staff member was being an idiot but why could your wife not hold a backpack or case for the 20 seconds it takes to go through the gate check?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I know the Ryanair (or was it a service company) staff member was being an idiot but why could your wife not hold a backpack or case for the 20 seconds it takes to go through the gate check?
    Because we didn't think it would be an issue. Naive I suppose but won't be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Because we didn't think it would be an issue. Naive I suppose but won't be again.

No, I think he means, why didn't the girl give the case to your wife so she could bring it past the member and staff and then the girl could take it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

It was a joke :pac:

Anyway the App isn't much different to using m.ryanair.com which is a user friendly mobile version of the site and very easy to navigate on a phone.

:)

And you save yourself €2.99.

i just checked that, it asks for a username and password, but where do you register that??

• Advertisement

Dan133269 wrote: »
    No, I think he means, why didn't the girl give the case to your wife so she could bring it past the member and staff and then the girl could take it again?

That was it

Once you knew that the staff member was asking for the back pack to be put in the case, the obvious thing to do was for your wife to take the back pack, sling in over her shoulder, walk 20m and then hand it back. I do this all the time with my kids hand luggage i.e. they bring it through the gate check and I carry it to the plane.

Instead you tried to put the back pack into the case, the case into the measuring thing, the staff member asking for more payment, a stand off for minutes and getting other staff members involved whilst presumably other passengers are cursing the staff member and your party.

Advertisement