Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Dan133269 wrote: »
    No, I think he means, why didn't the girl give the case to your wife so she could bring it past the member and staff and then the girl could take it again?

That was it

Once you knew that the staff member was asking for the back pack to be put in the case, the obvious thing to do was for your wife to take the back pack, sling in over her shoulder, walk 20m and then hand it back. I do this all the time with my kids hand luggage i.e. they bring it through the gate check and I carry it to the plane.

Instead you tried to put the back pack into the case, the case into the measuring thing, the staff member asking for more payment, a stand off for minutes and getting other staff members involved whilst presumably other passengers are cursing the staff member and your party.

Of course I wanted my wife to take the case and she attempted to. I explained that it was her case. The Ryanair lady would not let my wife take either the case or the backpack. She insisted that because my daughter was in possession of both, she would have to bring both onto the plane or in this instance check it in for 50 euro. I asked the lady did she seriously think my wife was going to Spain for a week with no case.
    We were a family of 4 with 4 items of luggage, I could see no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

It's this kind of cr*p that makes you want to ensure that Ryanair never, ever has a monopoly in Ireland by taking over Aer Lingus, and customers continue to have a choice.

My wife just returned to Dublin from Gatwick today which both airlines operate between. When checking in, she was asked if she'd like to get the earlier flight back (she didn't have a flexible ticket) as the one she was due to get was running an hour late, and there were a few seats left, but she'd have to hurry. That's customer service for you. You can guess which airline she was travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

It's this kind of cr*p that makes you want to ensure that Ryanair never, ever has a monopoly in Ireland by taking over Aer Lingus, and customers continue to have a choice.

My wife just returned to Dublin from Gatwick today which both airlines operate between. When checking in, she was asked if she'd like to get the earlier flight back (she didn't have a flexible ticket) as the one she was due to get was running an hour late, and there were a few seats left, but she'd have to hurry. That's customer service for you. You can guess which airline she was travelling.

the last time i had a flight booked with aer lingus, also from gatwick, when i got to check in they told me that they were ready to leave 20 mins early so they had closed check in ahead of the 40 mins before scheduled time and they wouldn't let me board, despite being there early.
    i wasn't the only to miss out then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Myself and a friend booked on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to East Midlands but my friend has since had to pull out due to work commitments. Will that cause me any issues travelling alone? What I mean is will they kick up a fuss that only 1 person is travelling? I have checked in myself online and printed my boarding card etc but I knowing Ryanair, I’m wondering if I show up and they’ll say that because the other person on the booking isn’t there I have to pay a fee or charge.

Ordinarily that would sound stupid, but it is Ryanair…

I would call them up but they're apparently notoriously hard to get through to and I'm at work at the minute. The flight is tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Myself and a friend booked on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to East Midlands but my friend has since had to pull out due to work commitments. Will that cause me any issues travelling alone? What I mean is will they kick up a fuss that only 1 person is travelling? I have checked in myself online and printed my boarding card etc but I knowing Ryanair, I’m wondering if I show up and they’ll say that because the other person on the booking isn’t there I have to pay a fee or charge.

Ordinarily that would sound stupid, but it is Ryanair…

I would call them up but they're apparently notoriously hard to get through to and I'm at work at the minute. The flight is tomorrow morning.

No that won't be a problem, happened to me a couple of times, in my case we even printed the other person boarding card, but to them if you don't show they don't care.

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    No that won't be a problem, happened to me a couple of times, in my case we even printed the other person boarding card, but to them if you don't show they don't care.

My friend hasn't checked in either or I would print his boarding pass. Hope that doesn't make a difference. Might get his passport details and check him in just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Anyone know when flights are released for April 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My friend hasn't checked in either or I would print his boarding pass. Hope that doesn't make a difference. Might get his passport details and check him in just in case.

Dont check him in. Just forget about it. They dont care if you dont check in. Just make sure you have all your own paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Aer Lingus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

flikflak wrote: »
    Dont check him in. Just forget about it. They dont care if you dont check in. Just make sure you have all your own paperwork.
    Check him in anyways as it stops Ryanair from selling the seat again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Also guess which airline operates standard airline policy of overbooking flights and would perhaps have other motives beyond good customer service for moving people on to another flight.

I have to agree on wanting neither company to gain a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Could checking in anyway preclude any possiblity of clawback of the airport taxes?

Didn't bother checking him in. Called Ryanair anyway and they confirmed that it doesn't affect my booking. Can't see them selling it on at this stage anyway, last time I checked the flight was €302. We paid €65 each a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

PopTarts wrote: »
    Anyone know when flights are released for April 13?

6 months before afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Misticles wrote: »
    6 months before afaik

Ah thanks. March is up and has been for a while. So hopefully next week

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Also guess which airline operates standard airline policy of overbooking flights and would perhaps have other motives beyond good customer service for moving people on to another flight.

I have to agree on wanting neither company to gain a monopoly.

You're right. I wouldn't want either to have a monopoly. Having Ryanair ensures Aer Lingus remains reasonably competitive. Having Aer Lingus there means that you don't have to put up wth Ryanair's ways if you don't want to.

Are you saying Aer Lingus has a policy of overbooking flights? I'd be surprised at this. I've never knowingly been on a flight that's overbooked, and in most circumstances I'd happily give up my seat and wait a couple of extra hours for a flight if I'd paid €25 for it and they gave €200 compensation. Especially when allowing for tax, that's a better return than the normal day job. Then again, most of my travel is leisure only.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

most airlines have an overbooking policy, usually there is a 10-20% no show factor every day. So if the airline overbooks a flight by 5-10 persons then they are able to ensure as many seats are filled as possible.

I know of 1 businessman who buy lots of dirt cheap Ryanair flights months in advance but might only use 50% of them depending on what meeting he has in the UK. As he gets them cheap he doesn't mind having to 'waste' so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

sparksfly wrote: »
    We (2 adults & 2 sixteen year olds) arrived at departure gate 102 last friday with 3 cases within the limits and 1 small backpack. One of the teens pulled a case and was wearing the backpack as my wife wasn't feeling great.
    A lady from Ryanair stopped the teen and demanded she put the backpack into a case.
    I explained that the case belonged to my wife and that we had 1 item each as per regulations. She was having none of it and demanded the repack which made the case too big for the test frame.
    She then demanded 50 euro to check in the bag. I told her the kid had not the money. She then demanded my credit card which I refused.
    A stand off then occurred up until the plane was due to depart. Another 2 Ryanair male staff members were telling her to cop on all though this episode but she was determined and wrote out a credit card form. I had paid 800 euro for the flights.
    We also had a case checked in, the plane could not depart without it being offloaded. When she realised this she tried to put pressure on me to pay quickly which I still refused.
    She finally told me to take the case and get on the plane.
    She was an awful tramp who fits the Ryanair organisation perfectly.

One can get sometimes shockingly low fares with Ryanair, if of course you know when to book and then 'play by the rules.'

This means taking absolutely no chances with hand luggage, either with the weight or the specified dimensions. Because as everyone knows, the one time that you do bring a bag that is slightly too big, the dreaded cardboard box will inevitably be produced.

I would contend that they are actively targetting a specific kind of customer, (even though the makeup of the passengers on board does not to me anyway often appear to reflect this), ie under 40s, travelling for a short period of time, not bothered about roughing it a bit and generally male.

Apologies for generalising here, but females, even for short stays, tend to require a lot more items on a day-to-day basis than men do and keeping all these possessions under 10 kgs is easier said than done. My own mother refuses now to fly with Ryanair for this very reason, simply because the 50 euro extra that she has to pay to check in a bag tends to negate the advantage of the cheap price with Ryanair and she'd rather pay more to have extra comfort with Aer Lingus (even though they also charge for hold baggage).

In the case above, I do not know if the poster had no other choice but to take Ryanair, but as a general principle I would avoid them like the plague if it came to a family holiday. Thankfully, as others have said, neither company is in a dominant position, because that really could be a disaster for the market.

Stops them selling the seat to someone who might need it at the last minute? Sometimes when you need to get somewhere the cost is irrelevant and you will do anything you can to be there so that way of thinking is a little short sighted. Last minute flights with any airline are expensive anyway but when you need them you will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tenger wrote: »
    most airlines have an overbooking policy, usually there is a 10-20% no show factor every day. So if the airline overbooks a flight by 5-10 persons then they are able to ensure as many seats are filled as possible.

I know of 1 businessman who buy lots of dirt cheap Ryanair flights months in advance but might only use 50% of them depending on what meeting he has in the UK. As he gets them cheap he doesn't mind having to 'waste' so many.
    Ryanair don't overbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i love Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hi all, did a quick search but didn't find this.

Anyone know if I don't use an outgoing leg of a return booking, will Ryanair still let me use the return? I couldn't find anything in the terms and conditions, but I know they will take any opportunity to charge for anything - anyone any experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Ryanair are a point to point airline so what you have purchased is 2 one-ways. You will be classed as a no-show if you don't use the first flight but it will not affect your *return* journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi buffalo, just be warned that most airlines will automatically cancel your return flight if you don't show for your outbound flight.
    (they claim for security reasons :rolleyes: - but it's to protect revenue)

Ryanair is one of the exceptions.

Its no problem. Just check in for the flight you are taking and forget about the other one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Ryanair don't overbook.

As an ex PSA with servisair in Cork Airport the above statement is horsecrap!

Routinely had the passenger list printed with over 200 names!!

In two months I was there never once had to refuse someone for the plane being full though.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

What!!:eek:
    Ryanair overbook flights? I always wait to last to board plane... so I can sit for that boring 30 minutes most other form an orderly queue. It means I get an aisle seat and when travelling alone never a problem. Does printing off boarding card at home secure your seat? I always say they must have a seat for me and for a short flight I do not care where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What!!:eek:
    Ryanair overbook flights? I always wait to last to board plane... so I can sit for that boring 30 minutes most other form an orderly queue. It means I get an aisle seat and when travelling alone never a problem. Does printing off boarding card at home secure your seat? I always say they must have a seat for me and for a short flight I do not care where it is.

I'd laugh all the way to the bank if I was refused boarding - the compensation is quite substantial IIRC. Ryanair would know by check ins if they were overbooked. I've never head of it happening - not that I'm asserting it hasn't.

737-800 takes 189 passengers + infants and a margin for no shows I'd say with modest over booking it would almost never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Not sure where this should go. But trying to book a one way flight from Manchester to Dublin, because this is coming from Manchester I am being charged in pounds which is OK I don't mind. The price of the flight including admin fee is £37.99. I am using a pre-paid 3V card so before topping up I went to XE CURRENCY CONVERTER to see how much it converts to. That result came back at €48.01, So i went and topped up my card by €50 thinking it would be enough. When I tried to book it, it came back as declined. Turns out Ryanair and charging €50.44 for the flight. So my question is how often do Ryanair adjust their currency rates?

Advertisement