Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Not sure where this should go. But trying to book a one way flight from Manchester to Dublin, because this is coming from Manchester I am being charged in pounds which is OK I don't mind. The price of the flight including admin fee is £37.99. I am using a pre-paid 3V card so before topping up I went to XE CURRENCY CONVERTER to see how much it converts to. That result came back at €48.01, So i went and topped up my card by €50 thinking it would be enough. When I tried to book it, it came back as declined. Turns out Ryanair and charging €50.44 for the flight. So my question is how often do Ryanair adjust their currency rates?

you won't get the xe.com rate anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I am being charged in pounds

Are you being charged in GBP by Ryanair or EUR?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Are you being charged in GBP by Ryanair or EUR?

Yes the total price is in GBP.

Yes the total price is in GBP.

So who is doing the currency conversion? Ryanair or the card provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Isn't there a fee added on for using the 3v card? (Not by Ryanair.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

juan.kerr wrote: »
    So who is doing the currency conversion? Ryanair or the card provider?

Ryanair, I guess?

Ryanair, I guess?

I'd have though it was the card provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sica

XE.com provides mid-market rates, ie between the going forex buy price and sell price. Also your credit card provider will levy a currency conversion charge which for a 3v card is 2.75% https://www.3v.ie/help-3V-vouchers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not sure where this should go. But trying to book a one way flight from Manchester to Dublin, because this is coming from Manchester I am being charged in pounds which is OK I don't mind. The price of the flight including admin fee is £37.99. I am using a pre-paid 3V card so before topping up I went to XE CURRENCY CONVERTER to see how much it converts to. That result came back at €48.01, So i went and topped up my card by €50 thinking it would be enough. When I tried to book it, it came back as declined. Turns out Ryanair and charging €50.44 for the flight. So my question is how often do Ryanair adjust their currency rates?

This is how to do it.
    1. Go to Ryanair website.
    2. Search for the MAN - DUB flight you want.
    3. When the list of flights is returned, select the one you want but don't click continue yet.
    4. Open a new tab in the same browser and go to the Ryanair website.
    5. Search for DUB to wherever. When the flights are listed, select any, then this time do press continue.
    6. Now close this tab and return to your original tab.
    7. Having selected the flight(s) you want, now click Continue.
    8. Hey presto, the price is now in EUR (and it's cheaper than your bank converting GBP to EUR and levying their charges).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am surprised that MOL has not closed that loophole.

• Advertisement

I am surprised that MOL has not closed that loophole.
    I thought they might have closed it too, in their recent website upgrade. But they didn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pearl Black

Hi buffalo, just be warned that most airlines will automatically cancel your return flight if you don't show for your outbound flight.
    (they claim for security reasons :rolleyes: - but it's to protect revenue)

Ryanair is one of the exceptions.

Aer Lingus also an exception as I have had the experience of missing an outgoing flight, taking EasyJet but being able to take the return leg with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pearl Black

This is how to do it.
    3. When the list of flights is returned, select the one you want but don't click continue yet.
    5. Search for DUB to wherever. When the flights are listed, select any, then this time do press continue.
    8. Hey presto, the price is now in EUR (and it's cheaper than your bank converting GBP to EUR and levying their charges).
    Wow - a big gap in the FR website. How funny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've slagged off Ryanair my fair share so fair play to them for this. I just made an idiotic error whilst checking in and accidentally selected 'Swiss' as my nationality (must be next to UK on the drop down). Only realsied once I had printed off the boarding card.

One quick call to their customer service line and they made the change for me for free so that I could reprint the pass with the correct details on it. I figured I was in for a €60 fee for reprinting at the airport at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Can you add bags at a later time?

Do they charge extra for doing this?

Can you add bags at a later time?

Do they charge extra for doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

yes bags can be added paying usual charge for each leg ... have done so two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This is how to do it.

just tried it using iron (chrome) and got this
    Errors Detected!
    You have more than one Ryanair booking page open, this can lead to booking errors. Please close all Ryanair booking pages and start again.

:(

ah feck it, the flights I'm looking at are still only £40

yes bags can be added paying usual charge for each leg ... have done so two years ago.

Would you be charged another admin fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

PopTarts wrote: »
    Would you be charged another admin fee?

No, just the charge for the bags.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    just tried it using iron (chrome) and got this

:(

ah feck it, the flights I'm looking at are still only £40

You're right - I've just tried it. Damn! Looks like they've closed the loophole! I've been using it for years. Knew I shouldn't have posted it here.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

You're right - I've just tried it. Damn! Looks like they've closed the loophole! I've been using it for years. Knew I shouldn't have posted it here.. :(

this loophole was there a few years ago, and the changed it to reflect currency exchange, and i thought that was that.
    was delighted with myself when i noticed it was back only about a month ago.
    ah tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nowayingere

My last experience with Ryanair. Monday I took a flight with Ryanair from Faro to Dublin at 7 am. We arrived at the over the Dublin slyies around 9:50 right on time, but 10, 15 minutes and we were still waiting to land. After a while the pilot said that due to poor weather conditions we would have to wait a little longer, so we wait another 15 minutes. After 30 minutes the pilot said that we would be going to Belfast instead and that we would have buses waiting for us. We landed in Belfast 20 minutes later and we were asked to stay in the plane and that weather conditions were improving in Dublin, so we wait and wait... 3 hours in the plane and not even allowed to go out. After all the time the pilot said that the weather in Dublin was better and that we had been given clearance to head over to Dublin, but before we would have to re-fuel. It took them 5 minutes to do so. When we landed in Dublin there was another truck just about to refill the plane, which makes me think that yet again Ryanair was flying without enough fuel, because otherwise they would't have needed any more fuel when returning to Dublin. I am getting afraid of flying with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My last experience with Ryanair. Monday I took a flight with Ryanair from Faro to Dublin at 7 am. We arrived at the over the Dublin slyies around 9:50 right on time, but 10, 15 minutes and we were still waiting to land. After a while the pilot said that due to poor weather conditions we would have to wait a little longer, so we wait another 15 minutes. After 30 minutes the pilot said that we would be going to Belfast instead and that we would have buses waiting for us. We landed in Belfast 20 minutes later and we were asked to stay in the plane and that weather conditions were improving in Dublin, so we wait and wait... 3 hours in the plane and not even allowed to go out. After all the time the pilot said that the weather in Dublin was better and that we had been given clearance to head over to Dublin, but before we would have to re-fuel. It took them 5 minutes to do so. When we landed in Dublin there was another truck just about to refill the plane, which makes me think that yet again Ryanair was flying without enough fuel, because otherwise they would't have needed any more fuel when returning to Dublin. I am getting afraid of flying with them.

In fairness between hanging around Dublin and getting to Belfast that was an additional fifty minutes of fuel used.

That would reassure me that they flew with enough fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nowayingere

I dunno, after the recent incidents in Spain some of these stuff looks strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's the recent "incidents" and I use the term loosely that have you reading into things too much. Your plane had plenty of fuel by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

When we landed in Dublin there was another truck just about to refill the plane, which makes me think that yet again Ryanair was flying without enough fuel, because otherwise they would't have needed any more fuel when returning to Dublin. I am getting afraid of flying with them.

Its an Boeing 737 not a Toyota Corolla.

Your fill the Aircraft with enough fuel for the flight + enough for a safety margin.

They don't just shout 'fill er up' out the Window.

They don't just shout 'fill er up' out the Window.

Well, they *might*..

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

My last experience with Ryanair. ........... we had been given clearance to head over to Dublin, but before we would have to re-fuel. It took them 5 minutes to do so. When we landed in Dublin there was another truck just about to refill the plane, which makes me think that yet again Ryanair was flying without enough fuel, because otherwise they would't have needed any more fuel when returning to Dublin. I am getting afraid of flying with them.
    For the flight Belfast to Dublin the aircraft would have been fuelled to cover a return to Belfast and/or diversion to Shannon/Manchester or Cork. The reason there was a fuel truck waiting when you got to Dublin was because that aircraft was being sent straight back out on another flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I presume you reported this highly dangerous incident to the authorities? :rolleyes:

They had plenty of fuel for what they needed to do, just because you think they didn't doesn't make it so.

If a plane crashes fuel going on fire is what is going to make a survivable event unsurvivable, the less fuel on board when a plane lands the better.

Advertisement