Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

it keeps rejecting my application for some unknown reason.

the cash passport application keeps rejecting my application for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would not bother applying, they are removing the ability to avoid the fee

I would not bother applying, they are removing the ability to avoid the fee

whats the point of the card so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the point of the card so?

There isn't anymore.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    There isn't anymore.

dont they legally have to offer a way to avoid the fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

irishgeo wrote: »
    dont they legally have to offer a way to avoid the fee?
    Unless they incorporate the fee into the fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

syklops wrote: »

How much do you pay in insurance??

what difference would it make , the insurance companies walked away from the ash cloud claims, and were allowed to do so. The airlines (incl RY AND Aer Lingus were hammered. But having built up a kitty of €160 million Ryanair should now discontinue this practice. Ryanair (quite rightly) have called this charge 'EU 261 Levy' and in doing so are are calling the bluff of the comedians who we elect to Brussels to run the EU. The reason Ryanair get away with it is because the EU know that they are wrong in making airlines responsible for acts of nature so the won't act against Ryanair.
    EU 0 - 1 Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

joeysoap wrote: »
    what difference would it make , the insurance companies walked away from the ash cloud claims, and were allowed to do so. The airlines (incl RY AND Aer Lingus were hammered. But having built up a kitty of €160 million Ryanair should now discontinue this practice. Ryanair (quite rightly) have called this charge 'EU 261 Levy' and in doing so are are calling the bluff of the comedians who we elect to Brussels to run the EU. The reason Ryanair get away with it is because the EU know that they are wrong in making airlines responsible for acts of nature so the won't act against Ryanair.
    EU 0 - 1 Ryanair.

The 'EU 261 levy' isn't specifically for the ash cloud. There's a host of other situations where airlines now have to pay out to passengers where they didn't before - quite rightly too. I got shafted by Alitalia the year before it came in when they overbooked a flight. Despite checking in 90 minutes early they were able to say sorry, we're overbooked, re-route me ten hours late, and all they had to give me was a lunch voucher. A year later, they would have had to pay us both €250 compensation each.

Besides which, it's just Ryanair marketing at work. You can be sure every other airline has added a few quid to cover compensation costs, they just hide it in the overall cost.
    Ryanair make a big deal out of showing it separately, probably manage to get some people to blame the EU for it, everyone else argues about it, and they get a ton of free press.

Still, at least napkins and paper cups are still free. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Clearly a lot of people have an opinion on Ryanair and for what it’s worth here’s mine:

Firstly we must get away from the personalities. Michael O’Leary is not Ryanair – he represents Ryanair. He could not do and say the things he does and says without the backing of the Board of Ryanair. Ryanair is an organisation so we should refer to it as an IT not them or him.

Ryanair’s business model is one of bullying. The latest example is where Budapest airport has declined Ryanair’s offer to retain flights at it’s airport in return for reduced fees. So Ryanair has decided, like the kid who loses in the playground, to take it’s ball away and reduce it’s capacity at Budapest by 40%. Fair enough we think – a deal could not be reached so, like any business, Ryanair has decided to play elsewhere.

The press release regrets Budapest Airport’s decision to reject Ryanair’s offer but then goes on to lay blame on Budapest – “reject our proposals for a competitive growth offer which would have allowed Ryanair to grow traffic and routes at Budapest”. So after the bullying tactics failed it’s all “their fault”.

Another example is the bid for Aer Lingus with the threat of court action if the EU rejects the bid.

This model has been played out all over Europe with Ryanair promising extra passengers in return for reduced fees. In addition Ryanair is very good at latching on to ‘sweeteners’ from local government organisations to go to or remain at a local airport. Sometimes the extra passengers don’t materialise but Ryanair usually has a good foothold in the airport by this time so that the airport is reliant on it and if it threatens to take it’s ball away the airport will usually cave in to it’s demands. At the same time Ryanair complains about government subsidies of it’s rivals. I suppose Stansted is one example where the bullying didn’t work as Ryanair was a little bit dependent on it. Also at Shannon where numbers of passengers were promised and contractually committedd to which didn’t materialise.

When it wanted rid of the ‘Tourist Tax’ in Ireland Ryanair promised an increase of millions of visitors to Ireland every year. The tax was duly reduced from €10 to €3 but has anyone checked the resulting increase in Ryanair passengers to Ireland? Has it made good on it’s promises?

When any opposition to it’s plans materialises Ryanair is very quick to resort to the Courts – classic behaviour of a bully. So nobody is prepared to take it on.

In the ‘hidden charges’ debate, when the UK OFT insisted on all charges being shown upfront, Ryanair removed the escape clause from it’s £6 ‘admin fee’ per passenger per flight. Who was to blame – of course it wasn’t Ryanair? "Ryanair regrets the recent anti-consumer ruling of the OFT, which will result in thousands of UK Ryanair Cash Passport holders no longer having a free form of payment that allows them to avoid the £6 admin fee when booking flights on Ryanair.com. This is another example of regulatory interference by the OFT which once again increases the cost of travel for passengers." This ignored the fact that it was a Ryanair decision to remove the get out clause and also that ‘thousands’ of customers were affected despite there being millions of Ryanair customers in the UK – I’d be interested in the percentage of passengers affected. The actual transaction cost will be between 20c and 50c for which for a family of 4 on a return flight Ryanair will charge €48.

The business model is very effective. Find a struggling airport, make some wild promises, gain a good deal on landing fees/any local grants available, the deal achieved can make it very difficult for the competition so the competition reduces, gain a foothold and then make exorbitant demands when the airport is dependent on it. If the new demands are not met, a press release blames the airport/local government and move on to the next sucker airport. If new demands are met hey ho – bonus time for all Ryanair execs. Above all, ruthlessness at all times. When it goes wrong, again classic bully, bordering, in my opinion, on psychopathic behaviour – it’s everybody else’s fault.

Not a very nice business model but it has to be admired. Internet campaigns to show how awful Ryanair’s treatment of customers has been gathers hundreds of thousands of followers but doesn’t work – Ryanair laughs at it, and loves the free publicity. However, if the hundreds of thousands of followers and their families boycotted Ryanair and it began to show in their passenger numbers throughout Europe this would have an effect. More effective would be targeted boycotting so that specific flights were left empty showing the power of people – then Ryanair would sit up and take notice.

In Peter Preston’s words “Ryanair flights are not always as cheap as it would like you to believe, it’s just the nastiness that makes it feel cheap and not at all cheerful”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Great post, opa01_2000, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ryanair is great!

O'Leary is great!

I prefer to retain my dignity by flying a reputable airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but what's the story if you have booked a return flight, and then the airline change the flight time for one leg of the trip by 4 hours?

They have offered to give me a refund (because the change for the return flight is more than 2 hours), but i'm not sure if they are offering to refund the entire booking, or only the return leg? The outgoing flight time remains unchanged.

It is a refund on the entire booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    Ryanair is an organisation so we should refer to it as an IT not them or him...

When it goes wrong, again classic bully, bordering, in my opinion, on psychopathic behaviour – it’s everybody else’s fault.

Make up your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Make up your mind

Maybe some of the posters on here don't remember, but before ryanair - no choice; take or leave it; monopoly supply; prices fixed; no online; no flexibility.

Ryr may not be fantastic, but it sure is better than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BarryM wrote: »
    Maybe some of the posters on here don't remember, but before ryanair - no choice; take or leave it; monopoly supply; prices fixed; no online; no flexibility.

Ryr may not be fantastic, but it sure is better than before.
    This propaganda becomes tiresome. Ryanair do not deserve the credit for breaking the cartels that operated on key routes; it was the EU that forced the opening of air travel markets to competition, and Ryanair benefitted from the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I prefer to retain my dignity by flying a reputable airline.

I really don't understand this thread. Check the prices with everything included and compare to the alternatives. If it's considerably cheaper go with it.

I've flown with Ryanair many many times and have never found them to be an affront to my dignity. Don't be so precious. Get on the plane, get to where your going and get off. You don't need someone to hold your hand. If you do, fly business class and pay for it. "Retain my dignity", in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I really don't understand this thread. Check the prices with everything included and compare to the alternatives. If it's considerably cheaper go with it.

I've flown with Ryanair many many times and have never found them to be an affront to my dignity. Don't be so precious. Get on the plane, get to where your going and get off. You don't need someone to hold your hand. If you do, fly business class and pay for it. "Retain my dignity", in fairness.

+1

Seriously, you'd swear Michael O'Leary was walking up and down the aisle with a cattle prod...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why do people moan so much about ryanair?

If you don't like them then fly with someone else.

Cheap flights - i was working in london a few years back. Every flight home on a friday (booking one month in advance) was approx €25 with ryanair and €80-€90 with aer lingus. Same flight Gatwick - Dublin.

I've flown loads of times with ryanair (always check prices with competitors - never cheaper than ryanair) - problems - 1 flight late by an hour when we swopped planes in dublin.

Seriously people give off like fcuk about them....oh i had 6 bags to carry on and they wouldn't let me....oh i was 20 mins late and they wouldn't let me on the plane....oh i hadn't bothered printing off my boarding pass and they wanted €60 for a new one - excuses, excuses.

In 2010 i wanted to go to lake como on holidays. Aer lingus €1300 return for the family to milan. Ryanair €450 return to bergamo (25 minute journey to milan in a taxi €80)....bus back to bergamo €16....car to lake como from bergamo (no trying to navigate milan - just drive out of bergamo on to the motorway and off you go).

This year we went to spain. Aer Lingus to barcelona return €1370. Ryanair €760........case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

My parents went to work in England for a year in the last recession (these things are cyclical - who knew:rolleyes:)

Anyway I got to see them twice in that year - they came back to Ireland, I went over to England. Flights had to be booked so far in advance (Apex and Super Apex fares - showing me age here!!)

Fast forward thirty years - my friend (living in Dublin) was going out with a chap who worked in London - they saw each other every weekend - thanks to Ryanair - flights so cheap that if one couldn't fly it wasn't worth claiming the taxes back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 aclerkin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

aclerkin wrote: »

Ryanair.com - Page Not Found

The page you are looking for may have moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

mfceiling wrote: »
    Why do people moan so much about ryanair?

If you don't like them then fly with someone else.

Cheap flights - i was working in london a few years back. Every flight home on a friday (booking one month in advance) was approx €25 with ryanair and €80-€90 with aer lingus. Same flight Gatwick - Dublin.

I've flown loads of times with ryanair (always check prices with competitors - never cheaper than ryanair) - problems - 1 flight late by an hour when we swopped planes in dublin.

Seriously people give off like fcuk about them....oh i had 6 bags to carry on and they wouldn't let me....oh i was 20 mins late and they wouldn't let me on the plane....oh i hadn't bothered printing off my boarding pass and they wanted €60 for a new one - excuses, excuses.

In 2010 i wanted to go to lake como on holidays. Aer lingus €1300 return for the family to milan. Ryanair €450 return to bergamo (25 minute journey to milan in a taxi €80)....bus back to bergamo €16....car to lake como from bergamo (no trying to navigate milan - just drive out of bergamo on to the motorway and off you go).

This year we went to spain. Aer Lingus to barcelona return €1370. Ryanair €760........case closed.

BECAUSE unfortunately swineair only fly to the destination i usually travel so if i decide to travel with Aer Lingus it's gonna add hours onto my trip not to mention the added cost of trains,etc, and getting the ferry is even more time consuming and expensive.

JUST because you may not have had any problems with Ryanair does not mean thousands of others haven't, when you have flew with them as many times as i have you get to see and hear some horror stories, i could write you a massive massive list of things ive experienced and seen flying with Ryanair, when a flight goes off without any trouble no problem i just get on the plane, buy nothing of the vastly overpriced food,etc, read my book or magazine and get off simple but when you have experiences of being delayed for over 9+ hours without as much as an apology, or stuck on a plane for 2 hours because of "technical problems" and being told if you get off you cant get back on amongst many other horror stories you seriously expect me to be positive and write nice things about this scummy airline.

Oh and another thing that is downright rubbish saying they are always cheaper than other airlines, 6 times this year ive flew with Aer Lingus to various places int he UK because they were cheaper than Ryanair.

Ryanair might be cheaper most of the time but most certainly not all the time and as someone who unfortunately has no option but to fly with them all the time i can tell you their prices have risen a good bit in the last 18 months.

Time to get real my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

jonnny68 wrote: »
    when you have experiences of being delayed for over 9+ hours without as much as an apology, or stuck on a plane for 2 hours because of "technical problems" and being told if you get off you cant get back on amongst many other horror stories you seriously expect me to be positive and write nice things about this scummy airline.

in regards to the stuck on the airplane, that's an airport policy, has happened me with three different carriers

Ryanair is great!

O'Leary is great!

Nice of you to come on here Michael.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jonnny68 wrote: »
    BECAUSE unfortunately swineair only fly to the destination i usually travel so if i decide to travel with Aer Lingus it's gonna add hours onto my trip not to mention the added cost of trains,etc, and getting the ferry is even more time consuming and expensive.

Time to get real my friend.

so you're complaining because they save you time and money now?:confused:

zuroph wrote: »
    in regards to the stuck on the airplane, that's an airport policy, has happened me with three different carriers

First i heard of it, i remember around 7 years ago on a BMI flight we had to get off the plane as there was some fault and we then boarded again an hour later and they couldn't have been more apologetic, nothing of the sort with Ryanair, sat there in stifling heat with people losing their temper and young children crying = nightmare.

• Advertisement

so you're complaining because they save you time and money now?:confused:

Did you even read my post properly:eek:

I still fly with them because that is the only sole reason why, trust me if Aer Lingus flew to my destination i would use them all the time even if that meant paying extra, i just can't be dealing waiting around for trains and British Rail are a rip off too and arriving in my destination hours later.

Advertisement