Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RSE, you do realise that the £6 fee has been added for everyone as well as the 2% fee for those who pay by credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RSE, you do realise that the £6 fee has been added for everyone as well as the 2% fee for those who pay by credit card?
    Nobody forced Ryanair to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Calling Ryanair "Twatair" is akin to calling the SS a naughty group. F*** you Michael O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I booked my flight Ryanair flight in over 20 years tonight.

Lets see how good they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You mean your first?

• Advertisement

Yes. It will be a new experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

You're gonna let Michael O'Leary break you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

This is what I mean by window dressing. If it's added for everyone, it's just part of the basic fare.

The 2% fee is fair because it covers the actual additional cost of processing the credit card, which, as I understand it, can be up to 2%, but probably less for a large company with huge numbers of transactions. If they added a debit card charge of about 50p / 50c, I wouldn't object to that either,because that reflects the true cost. It's because they've been rounding it up to £6 for every flight on every fare (except for those that can be bothered to jump through the required hoops) that it's been completely out of proportion to the actual costs incurred.

I've just spent a couple of euro on my Ryanair Cash Passport to avoid the 6 month non-use fee, and will be happy to run it down and bin it if I don't use it on flights before the deadline date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

You pays your money and you read the small print, then there will be no surprises for you.
    No reserved seats, long treks to/from gates and airports, small weight allowances.

Yes Ryanair are very annoying, but it's like being crammed onto a holiday bus in Ibiza on your Summer holidays with lots of drunk English. You just tolerate it for 2 hours and you get to where you want to be. Travelling is not a meaningful event with 5 course meals and private butlers, just get me (and me luggage) from Airport A to Airport B please.

I must say the attack on their safety record are built on some "Spanish Pilots Union" source are very poorly researched. The fuel they carry are within European safety limits and their turn-around times for pilots the same, if it wasn't then we would all hear about it from the EU aviation mandarins.
    Their fleet are one of the newest as well, something that they don't advertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Sorry, I don't think Ryanair do Havana.
    Can't imagine Castro and O'Leary having a lot in common anyway ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

TheUsual wrote: »
    Their fleet are one of the newest as well, something that they don't advertise.

They absolutely do advertise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

This is what I mean by window dressing. If it's added for everyone, it's just part of the basic fare.

The 2% fee is fair because it covers the actual additional cost of processing the credit card, which, as I understand it, can be up to 2%, but probably less for a large company with huge numbers of transactions. If they added a debit card charge of about 50p / 50c, I wouldn't object to that either,because that reflects the true cost. It's because they've been rounding it up to £6 for every flight on every fare (except for those that can be bothered to jump through the required hoops) that it's been completely out of proportion to the actual costs incurred.

I've just spent a couple of euro on my Ryanair Cash Passport to avoid the 6 month non-use fee, and will be happy to run it down and bin it if I don't use it on flights before the deadline date.

I have decided that this card is now more bother than value and have decided to clear the balance soon, and inform card services to close the account (no govt tax if you have closed account before 31 st Dec).

most (if not all) Irish banks now issue debit cards so I intend to pay any future flight with Ryanair with my debit card and avoid the credit card charge. Unfortunately the €6 will be included in fare, and as I cannot avoid that any more don't need this card.

Bye Bye cash passport, you were worth the effort but you are now past your sell by date :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

I have tried to check if ryanair cash passport still works today and after picking up return flight from ireland to UK and choosing cash passport during payment price did not change. did I something wrong or is the price changing for you when you pick cash passport instead of other cards ?

don't think the price changes, they just dont add the credit card charge which is €6 per person per leg. From feby 1st this €6 is included in the fare (lets be honest, it was ALWAYS part of the fare but disguised as a cc charge. )

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ncbf1038

Hey folks can anyone help me?
    My partner has to get proof of flights taken with ryanair from dub to the UK back in Dec 2006- Dec 2007 for a possible court case regarding his son. He never kept any itineraries back then as we never taught this would happen now. IV written to ryanair an still waiting for a reply an if not il try ring them again. I hope they have a way to go back that far, I know if U make a claim for tax back U have to keep your receipts for 6 years as proof, I know this is a tad bit different but do you reckon we have a chance of getting itineraries from 6 years ago because without them there's no chance for him. I would b very greatful of ur help. Thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

so what does this mean ?

In addition, Ryanair’s €6/£6 admin fee (which covers costs associated with Ryanair’s website, www.ryanair.com) will apply to all new bookings made from 30 November, except those bookings made using a Ryanair Cash Passport in Ireland where
    admin fees can be avoided until 1 February

joeysoap wrote: »
    don't think the price changes, they just dont add the credit card charge which is €6 per person per leg. From feby 1st this €6 is included in the fare (lets be honest, it was ALWAYS part of the fare but disguised as a cc charge. )

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

mirec wrote: »
    so what does this mean ?

In addition, Ryanair’s €6/£6 admin fee (which covers costs associated with Ryanair’s website, www.ryanair.com) will apply to all new bookings made from 30 November, except those bookings made using a Ryanair Cash Passport in Ireland where
    admin fees can be avoided until 1 February

Not quite a reply, but for info.

Just booked several flights for dates in Feb '13. The presentation of the prices seems to depend on the base you are using. A flight Dub - Maastricht had the final fare I paid as the number in the "fare" box from screen 1. However for flights MRS - Bva and Bva - Dub the presentation of the final price was much later in the sequence. The whole site for the Dub originating flt was different to the others. A work in progress??

B

Bought some Christmas cheer today, spent the balance on petrol, cleared the card to zero, sent an email to card services informing them that I was closing the account and that I had no ATM/Debit duty to pay as the account was closed before 31st Dec. To be honest I would probably have kept this card, loaded it according as I saw a suitable flight, and made sure that it never went 6 months without some spend. I would have willingly paid the €3 loading charge in return for a saving of €24 per two person return flight. Next Ryanair flight just have use my bank debit card to avoid the credit card charge. Que Sera, Sera.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bought some Christmas cheer today, spent the balance on petrol, cleared the card to zero, sent an email to card services informing them that I was closing the account and that I had no ATM/Debit duty to pay as the account was closed before 31st Dec. To be honest I would probably have kept this card, loaded it according as I saw a suitable flight, and made sure that it never went 6 months without some spend. I would have willingly paid the €3 loading charge in return for a saving of €24 per two person return flight. Next Ryanair flight just have use my bank debit card to avoid the credit card charge. Que Sera, Sera.

Just paid with visa for 2 people return - expecting nuts fees.

Credit Card Fee €1.71 - Nice one Ryan Air (or what ever court has made you do this)

To be fair I know they'll get it somewhere else - it always made me laugh people bitching about all the extra charges. I only ever looked at the bottom line, concluding 90% of the time it was the cheapest way to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

ncbf1038 wrote: »
    My partner has to get proof of flights taken with ryanair from dub to the UK back in Dec 2006- Dec 2007 for a possible court case regarding his son. He never kept any itineraries back then as we never taught this would happen now. IV written to ryanair an still waiting for a reply an if not il try ring them again. I hope they have a way to go back that far, I know if U make a claim for tax back U have to keep your receipts for 6 years as proof, I know this is a tad bit different but do you reckon we have a chance of getting itineraries from 6 years ago because without them there's no chance for him. I would b very greatful of ur help. Thank u

I take it this is with a solicitor and he/she has advised you about any Statute of Limitation issues?

I can imagine MOL having a nice laugh at that.

Just paid with visa for 2 people return - expecting nuts fees.

Credit Card Fee €1.71 - Nice one Ryan Air (or what ever court has made you do this)

To be fair I know they'll get it somewhere else - it always made me laugh people bitching about all the extra charges. I only ever looked at the bottom line, concluding 90% of the time it was the cheapest way to get anywhere.

To be fair to Ryanair the bottom line is what most of us look for, and theirs is usually the cheapest. The only difference in the fare you paid this time and the fare you would have paid previously is the additional €1.71, as the €24 is now included in the fare. No way of avoiding this €24 hence no reason for anyone to take out/retain a Ryanair Cash Passport. Anyway the bottom line is what counts.

NB Notice that EasyJet have also now incorporated the admin charge into their fares (they previously charged a flat €11 per booking) They have a credit card charge of 2.5%- higher than Ryanair's 2%.

Aer Lingus still have the admin fee of €6 but suspect not for much longer.

From The Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1214/1224327834878.html

“The record of the Department of Transport in this country is one of mismanagement, incompetence, monopoly protectionism and damaging the consumer interest at every hand’s turn.

“The sooner this nest of incompetence and ineptitude is shut down the better.

“Alternatively, we should rename it DUMP (the Department for Useless Monopoly Protection).”

So said Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary at the Kenmare economic conference in October 2007.

Exactly one year later, his then colleague Jim Callaghan had this to say about the department and its use of consultants.

“The Department of Transport is now a by-word for incompetence and inefficiency,” he said.

“This department now proposes to waste a further €1.4 million getting in even more useless consultancy reports, and advice to do what civil servants with their fat cat bonuses in the Department of Transport should do themselves.”

Who was secretary general of the department during both those years?

Julie O’Neill. The same Julie O’Neill who was appointed as a non-executive director of Ryanair yesterday.

She stepped down as secretary general in mid 2009 after seven years in the role.

O’Neill’s association with DUMP didn’t seem to weigh on Ryanair chairman David Bonderman yesterday.

Bonderman was “delighted” that O’Neill and Louise Phelan of PayPal were joining the board of the airline.

“They bring significant skills, career success and experience to the board,” he added, without a hint of irony.

It’s a classic U-turn, even by Ryanair’s standards.

shar01 wrote: »
    Sob... all I want to do is fly to somewhere I've never been before for less than 3 gazillion euros... Now I'm supporting psychopaths. Wahhhh!

Makes interesting reading. A response to this article was as follows:

Great article thank you. I see that there are two main combined factors contributing to the creation of psychopathic organisations: -

1 The legal structure of companies encourages them behave like psychopaths as the question of ethics and morals becomes a matter of cold ‘risk vs. return’ logic in pursuit of shareholder value.

2 As companies have psychopathic tendencies the employees who have similar psychological tendencies e.g. narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths are often identified as having the required attributes to get to the top and lead the company to success.

These 2 factors combine until the company does something so appalling that it loses it’s informal license to operate in the eyes of the public and it collapses.

Could Ryanair go this far? What would it take for Ryanair to "lose it's informal license to operate"

Another, similiar, article was published by the HRM Guide in the UK:

http://www.hrmguide.co.uk/ethics/psychopathic-companies.htm

February 27, 2006 - Corporate responsibility researchers have found that many large organizations display the criteria psychiatrists use to classify people as psychopaths. New research from the Turku School of Economics in Finland, to be published in the next edition of Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management suggests that organizations showing evidence of psychopathic behaviour would benefit from a 'Prince of Virtues' approach to awake them from a '100-year sleep'.

Psychopathic characteristics in organizations
    The article matches the personality characteristics of psychopaths (shown in bold) with some examples of organisational behaviour:

Unconcern for others' feelings - harsh treatment of employees, customers and partners - sudden terminations of employment contracts and business contracts

Inability to maintain human relations - transferring business operations from country to country in order to minimize production expenses - constant change of employees and partners

Disregard for others' safety - products and production methods endangering human health and the environment - dangerous working conditions

Dishonesty and lying to one's own advantage - keeping silent about the risks of hazardous products and production methods, covering them up and denying their existence - deceiving employees, customers and partners

Inability to feel guilt - when exposed of wrong-doing, asserting innocence (denial), blaming others (projection) and justifying one's action (rationalisation)

Inability to observe the laws and norms of society - breaking human rights, labour, contract and environmental laws and agreements when it is economically more beneficial than observing them

The author of the report, Dr. Tarja Ketola considers that managers and employees working in large companies that employ psychopathic practices which breach people's basic values carry a huge mental burden. However, she argues a solution can come from using ethical principles employed by individuals in their personal lives.

"According to the natural law (lex naturae) all people all over the world share the same sense of morality, irrespective of their religion and background," says Dr. Ketola.

"Why then, should people keep their personal values separate from their work values? If key individuals or the majority of personnel within psychopathic companies realise that the same ethical principles they use in their personal life also apply in business life, the 'spell' will be broken and they will overcome organisational resistance to genuine corporate responsibility."

She believes that these results suggest that 'psychopathic' organizations can move towards ideal responsibility by developing their economic, social and ecological responsibilities in harmony on the basis of virtue ethical values.

Tarja Ketola notes, "If these companies can stop schizophrenically separating their staff's personal values from their professional values, allowing people in organizations to integrate them into a natural harmonic unity, the corporate responsibility '100-year sleep' could be over."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just get them out of your email, easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Glad to see that the Irish Government are still refusing to sell Aer Lingus to Ryanair.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1218/varadkar-refuses-ryanair-offer-for-aer-lingus-business.html

Ryanair were reportedly courting BA and Flybe at the weekend as a way of attempting to appease the Competition Authorities, but this alone left questions as to reducing competition on the Dublin to Heathrow market being soley down to BA, having already acquired BMI in the last year.

Give up on this Ryanair. It's good you're there as competition, but we want to retain our choice.

• Advertisement

Glad to see that the Irish Government are still refusing to sell Aer Lingus to Ryanair.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1218/varadkar-refuses-ryanair-offer-for-aer-lingus-business.html

Ryanair were reportedly courting BA and Flybe at the weekend as a way of attempting to appease the Competition Authorities, but this alone left questions as to reducing competition on the Dublin to Heathrow market being soley down to BA, having already acquired BMI in the last year.

Give up on this Ryanair. It's good you're there as competition, but we want to retain our choice.

I think more importantly there was no onus on BA to keep the Heathrow slots for Dublin so they could have used these to fly anywhere. These slots were reportedly worth up to £400m so would effectively meant FR got EI for next to nothing. Now some may say that EI isn't worth a great deal but what FR would have got is getting rid of their main competition in Ireland and effective control over Dublin Airport.

Not normally a fan of Varadkar but he has showed some balls in this one - I'm sure there was some pressure from FR.

On another related topic has Stephen McNamara finally developed a conscience after the Memmingen near-disaster and the attempted bullying of Aviation Herald? It seems like a strange move to the relatively quiet and staid life of the IRFU from FR. Can't be for the money, the excitement or the publicity.

Advertisement