Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Hi folks. Couldn't find if this had been asked before (I'm fairly sure of the answer!) so apologies if it has.

Myself and the better half are due to fly to Scotland on Friday. Long story short, the Gf's doctor has told her she shouldn't fly anytime soon (damaged her back and it doesn't look like it's getting any better).

Has anyone managed to get a flight rescheduled with Ryanair waiving the charges because of illness? Or can I go through my credit card company for a refund? (I only heard this was possible today, not sure I believe it.)

I've done a bit of searching and realise I'm clutching at straws with the whole thing, so thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I wondered where this thread had gone :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi folks. Couldn't find if this had been asked before (I'm fairly sure of the answer!) so apologies if it has.

Myself and the better half are due to fly to Scotland on Friday. Long story short, the Gf's doctor has told her she shouldn't fly anytime soon (damaged her back and it doesn't look like it's getting any better).

Has anyone managed to get a flight rescheduled with Ryanair waiving the charges because of illness? Or can I go through my credit card company for a refund? (I only heard this was possible today, not sure I believe it.)

I've done a bit of searching and realise I'm clutching at straws with the whole thing, so thanks in advance for any help!

Travel insurance is probably your only recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Stheno wrote: »

Travel insurance is probably your only recourse.
    Aye, was thinking that myself. Will have to dig out the policy and hope I haven't let it lapse. The way things have been, it probably ran out yesterday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Shelflife wrote: »
    Just got this today

We would like to thank you for purchasing a Ryanair Cash Passport Card. Since its launch in Ireland on 31 January 2012 we have seen many of our cardholders benefit from the offer of avoiding the administration fee charge on www.ryanair.com. We thank you for your continued support.
    As you will be aware from Ryanair’s previous announcements, all new bookings made on www.ryanair.com from 30 November 2012 are subject to an administration fee, which can be avoided if the booking is made using a Ryanair Cash Passport in Ireland until 31 January 2013. This benefit will however no longer apply in Ireland from 1 February 2013. For more information on the administration fee please visit www.ryanair.com.
    The Terms and Conditions of the Ryanair Cash Passport Card have not changed as a result of the change to the administration fee, and you can still enjoy all the other benefits your Ryanair Cash

Not sure if its news to others but it defeats the whole point of having the card for me. Ill be getting rid asap.

welcome to the world of Ryanair, having said that it was well flagged. As per previous post I used up my remaining balance in Tesco before Christmas on their two for one whiskey sale and sent them an email saying the card was cleared prior to 31st December and therefore not due to pay any government stamp duty. Unfortunately if you have any balance on 1st Jan you are liable for this government stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bastille1d

According the FAQ on cash passport website, the Stamp Duty was supposed to be deducted from the card balance as soon as possible after the end of the relevant tax year, usually in January.

but not yet on 31 January at 4pm...

Anyone got it taken?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Will probably be at midnight tonight.

Ryanair are at it again. Today the ECJ ruled that they had to pay out reasonable expenses ie living costs but not forloss of business or contracts or other losses incurred as a result of cancelled flights caused by extraordinary events ie ash clouds etc. And out come the Ryanair jokers with the usual 'flights whill have to increase' to cover these costs.

Exactly how much did Ryanair pay out in comp for the ash cloud? Their infamous EU 261 Levy is a direct consequence of this ash cloud, 80 million passengers in 2012 at €2 a pop = €160 million euros in the bank and no sign of ash cloud. So what are the 'extra' costs incurred by Ryanair today as a direct result of this ECJ ruling?

I have booked Ryanair for return flight later in the year, so I do use them, but I do sincerely hope they don't get control of Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ryanair are at it again. Today the ECJ ruled that they had to pay out reasonable expenses ie living costs but not forloss of business or contracts or other losses incurred as a result of cancelled flights caused by extraordinary events ie ash clouds etc. And out come the Ryanair jokers with the usual 'flights whill have to increase' to cover these costs.

Exactly how much did Ryanair pay out in comp for the ash cloud? Their infamous EU 261 Levy is a direct consequence of this ash cloud, 80 million passengers in 2012 at €2 a pop = €160 million euros in the bank and no sign of ash cloud. So what are the 'extra' costs incurred by Ryanair today as a direct result of this ECJ ruling?

I have booked Ryanair for return flight later in the year, so I do use them, but I do sincerely hope they don't get control of Aer Lingus.
    No airline paid out for loss of business or paid any "compensation" to any passenger after the aash cloud disruption!

The only thing covered was and is reasonable expenses for food and accommodation and transport to and from that accommodation but only when the airline do not provide this themselves.

Agreed FL,

and as a direct result of this Ryanair introduced the €2 per passenger per journey EU 261 Levy. So wtf were they on about yesterday saying that airfares would increase as a result of the ECJ ruling - they had already increased fares to take account of this.

We have a lot to be thankful to Ryanair for, not least cheaper flights. They keep everyone else competitive and without them a lot of us would pay a lot more for flights. But I don't like it when they come out with statements like yesterdays, there was no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Have used up the remaining balance on my Cash Passport and sent the card back to them with instructions to cancel the card.
    Ryanair has become too expensive now anyway, their fares have really crept up, was OK to endure them while they were really cheap but switching back to Aer Lingus now!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theres no such thing as a bargain flight with ryanair anymore, the cheapest I've been able to get in the last year to london was 50 - 60 euro. Its still not that expensive, but it ilustrates a trend in upward pricing. Now that they have captured the market, they are seeing what prices that market will bear.

Yes, I have noticed this too. The fares have really gone up, the admin fee and check in fee went up a while back, they've reduced the credit card fee from €6 per flight to 2% per flight, making the Cash Passport pretty much useless now, but have more than covered the reduction in increased flight charges.
    Booking Dublin to Gatwick with Aer Lingus is only slightly dearer than Ryanair's lowest prices now. I guess they're seeing how much the market will bear with these price increases. I won't miss them a bit! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Yes, I have noticed this too. The fares have really gone up, the admin fee and check in fee went up a while back, they've reduced the credit card fee from €6 per flight to 2% per flight, making the Cash Passport pretty much useless now, but have more than covered the reduction in increased flight charges.
    Booking Dublin to Gatwick with Aer Lingus is only slightly dearer than Ryanair's lowest prices now. I guess they're seeing how much the market will bear with these price increases. I won't miss them a bit! :rolleyes:

I'm going to Rome next week with Ryanair for the princely sum of €90 return. Aer Lingus were €190 return for flights on the same day. Aer Lingus/ Ryanair are usually neck and neck on Dublin-London, but to Europe Ryanair invariably work out cheaper.

Yes, that is a good price to Europe. I should have been clearer in saying that I was only talking about Dublin to London in my posts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Yes, that is a good price to Europe. I should have been clearer in saying that I was only talking about Dublin to London in my posts. ;)

Typically in a market situation the popular products get the brunt of the pressure. Apart from the rugby w/e I doubt Rome is too busy.

Didn't Harney tell us to shop around??

In fact the prices of the others have come down to those of Ryanair.

Sign of the times, in Marseille today I saw the downtown office of Air France being dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Oryx wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as a bargain flight with ryanair anymore, the cheapest I've been able to get in the last year to london was 50 - 60 euro. Its still not that expensive, but it ilustrates a trend in upward pricing. Now that they have captured the market, they are seeing what prices that market will bear.

Do you mean return?

Quick look on skyscanner shows plenty of flights for around €20 each way, once you book a couple of weeks in advance. Was looking at one last week for under €30 with less than a weeks notice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've never paid more than 20 quid for a flight to/from London all in, I booked a flight to Stansted for 19.99 each way only a couple of weeks ago.

True it used to be from 12 euro headline price at one point, and now it's 19.99, but remember that was always 12 euro + 6 euro card fee so it's not that much more, simply that Ryanair are now showing the all in prices upfront which makes them look more expensive than previously.

To get the best fares for London you need to book at least 4 weeks ahead generally, sometimes 5-6 if you are planning on booking Fri-Mon and Gatwick tends to have less cheaper seats than Stansted/Luton.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

devnull wrote: »

True it used to be from 12 euro headline price at one point, and now it's 19.99, but remember that was always 12 euro + 6 euro card fee so it's not that much more, simply that Ryanair are now showing the all in prices upfront which makes them look more expensive than previously.

It was never that for me, I was one of the people who avoided the fee. Now the fee is included and everyone has to pay it plus the majority will pay a % fee. So for me, Ryanair has gone up quite a bit compared to this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

This week I travelled with Ryanair to and from Italy. The flight over was uneventful but unfortunately the same cannot be said for the return leg.

I was in the queue to board the flight back for about 45 minutes, which I accept as par for the course. When boarding began, however, a group of about ten individuals from, ahem, an indigenous Irish ethnic minority group bounced over and skipped to the top of the queue. When they were challenged by an Australian couple who, like me, had waited their turn in line, they were greeted with none-too-subtle threats of violence. To my astonishment, the workers checking tickets (not sure if they're employed by Ryanair or the airport) did nothing. They just let them on.

When I boarded I could see the group had taken residence in the emergency isle seats- again, these are an optional extra that I assume this group didn't pay for.

I will say the flight crew deserved huge credit for humouring this particular group as, in my honest opinion, the situation could easily have become nasty. I genuinely felt sorry for the air hostesses in what they had to put up with. They were a credit to themselves and their company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Apologies if this thread has been done to death, but I was wondering how I might find a contact number or email address for Ryanair.

I booked return flights to Berlin a few weeks ago; the first credit card transaction was declined but the second went through okay. I received one confirmation email and one itinerary, so I presumed all was okay. However, I booked the flights with my Dad's credit card and when he got his statement, it appeared that he'd been charged twice for my flights. Naturally, he'd like a refund for the extra amount that he's been charged.

I'm not due to fly until next month, and I haven't booked in online yet. I've had a good look around Ryanair's website and I can't find any contact number or email address for them. I completed a refund request form, and got an email back with a link to their contact details, which was a dead end.

If anyone could help me, that would be fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

BuffyBot wrote: »

Thanks so much; the complaints page got me nowhere when I tried before but I'll call the number. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saruman wrote: »
    Actually your drivers license DOES have your nationality on it. Mine says Irish, my wife's provisional says USA.

Yes, and if you are Polish it says "Prawo jazdy"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dukedalton wrote: »
    This week I travelled with Ryanair to and from Italy. The flight over was uneventful but unfortunately the same cannot be said for the return leg.

I was in the queue to board the flight back for about 45 minutes, which I accept as par for the course. When boarding began, however, a group of about ten individuals from, ahem, an indigenous Irish ethnic minority group bounced over and skipped to the top of the queue. When they were challenged by an Australian couple who, like me, had waited their turn in line, they were greeted with none-too-subtle threats of violence. To my astonishment, the workers checking tickets (not sure if they're employed by Ryanair or the airport) did nothing. They just let them on.

When I boarded I could see the group had taken residence in the emergency isle seats- again, these are an optional extra that I assume this group didn't pay for.

I will say the flight crew deserved huge credit for humouring this particular group as, in my honest opinion, the situation could easily have become nasty. I genuinely felt sorry for the air hostesses in what they had to put up with. They were a credit to themselves and their company.

Surprised they didn't just call security and have them removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

My most recent flight to Leeds Bradford the trolly dolly in broken English announced "welcome to Luton 20 minutes ahead of schedule" then a few seconds later said sorry Leeds Bradford, not only did she get the destination wrong but as ever vastly overestimate flight time which is Dub >LBA average 37 minutes not 90 minutes or anywhere like it but this is FR and they are the world's favourite airline :-*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

jonnny68 wrote: »
    My most recent flight to Leeds Bradford the trolly dolly in broken English announced "welcome to Luton 20 minutes ahead of schedule" then a few seconds later said sorry Leeds Bradford, not only did she get the destination wrong but as ever vastly overestimate flight time which is Dub >LBA average 37 minutes not 90 minutes or anywhere like it but this is FR and they are the world's favourite airline :-*

And again if thats all you have to complain about then they must not be doing too badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Referring to cabin crew as trolley dollies shows as little respect for them as Michael O'Leary shows for passengers.

It's hardly surprising that flight attendants occasionally get confused about airports: they all look pretty much the same, and it's not as if they get a couple of hours to become familiar with the distinctions between the various airports they fly into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks for taking the trouble to share that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My most recent flight to Leeds Bradford the trolly dolly flight attendant in broken English announced "welcome to Luton 20 minutes ahead of schedule" then a few seconds later said sorry Leeds Bradford, not only did she get the destination wrong but as ever vastly overestimate flight time which is Dub >LBA average 37 minutes not 90 minutes or anywhere like it but this is FR and they are the world's favourite airline :-*

Corrected for you! :rolleyes:

Advertisement