Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 r2b2

I just booked a Ryanair flight today and was forced to pay EUR8 for travel insurance as there was no option to de-select it. Very frustrating!

After trawling through their website I came across the following page allowing customers to cancel their insurance policy:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-do-i-do-if-i-want-to-cancel-my-travel-insurance-policy

I have written to the email address provided insurancerefunds@ryanair.com requesting a refund and asking them to address this ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

r2b2 wrote: »
    I just booked a Ryanair flight today and was forced to pay EUR8 for travel insurance as there was no option to de-select it. Very frustrating!

After trawling through their website I came across the following page allowing customers to cancel their insurance policy:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-do-i-do-if-i-want-to-cancel-my-travel-insurance-policy

I have written to the email address provided insurancerefunds@ryanair.com requesting a refund and asking them to address this ridiculous situation.
    Im pretty sure the option for no travel insurance is there but hidden within the drop down menu among the list of countries or sonething like that. Its hard to find and pure trickery by ryanair but the option is there to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yep there when I last booked. It used to be in the middle of countries list and is now at the end I think and obliquely named "no travel insur" as if they ran out of space to put the full phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jonnny68 wrote: »
    It's their Job to know exactly where they fly to regardless of how mundane it might be

If you fly 3 or 4 flights in a day its easy to confuse which route you are on.

That you can't see or admit that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Exactly. Just look at Taxi drivers ;-)

*grabs coat and runs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh really? :rolleyes:

/im assuming the OP's friend is Irish.

That's a law agreed upon the governments of the UK and Ireland, a private company (ie, Ryanair) can set their own rules. They are not bound by some Anglo-Irish Agreement. If ryanair want passengers to do an impromtu dance to get access on board then that's their rules. I'm shocked at the amount of people that are oblivious to the difference between airline and immigration ID requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Yep there when I last booked. It used to be in the middle of countries list and is now at the end I think and obliquely named "no travel insur" as if they ran out of space to put the full phrase.

Just booked a couple of flts. It is there at the bottom of the country of residence list "travel without insure" Typical ryr con, pathetic. The best of the cons is the very last one, you must say no to wining the cost of your flt.... ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

See my above comment, it's their job which is primarily an English speaking job, if i went to work for a Spanish company I would make the effort to become fluent in Spanish

Jees, as an Expat living abroad for many years now, that's the most closed minded annoying post i've ever seen. Making an assumption based on a one off experience on a short flight and saying the person deserves 'no respect'

You'll never be a 'native' speaker in another country, being 'fluent' you'll be able to communicate effectively but your mannerisms/slang and accent will make you harder to understand.

The most fluent Dutch/German speaker will still say "I can borrow you some money"

Fluent Indians will say "Please do the needful"

They passed their English test, that's all they are required to do.

Jesus Christ, we should just tell all the people in the North/Kerry/Clare to stay at home and not bother working for an Airline.

Cordially,

A fairly fluent Dutch and bad German speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ah now, what did Clare people ever do to you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Chucken wrote: »
    Ah now, what did Clare people ever do to you :P
    I don't think this is the thread for discussing Shannon airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I don't think this is the thread for discussing Shannon airport.

Well don't then!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Must have booked 20 flights on Ryanair in the past few years and never paid travel insurance to them. It's not complicated really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Must have booked 20 flights on Ryanair in the past few years and never paid travel insurance to them. It's not complicated really.

Your credit card might have travel insurance built in on flights when you use it.
    Also credit card covers some car insurance on rental cars.

Lots of people have twice the insurance they need on flights and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

TheUsual wrote: »
    Your credit card might have travel insurance built in on flights when you use it.
    Also credit card covers some car insurance on rental cars.

Lots of people have twice the insurance they need on flights and cars.

I think the point it, it's not *that* hard to select the 'No Travel Insure' option

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I tried to book a flight with Ryanair using the Maestro option rather than a Credit Card in order to save a few euro.

When I clicked on the payment option this dialogue box to input security information popped up from maestro asking me to enter some details as well as a password for future purchases, when it accepted it, the ryanair page went back to a page with a credit card image with a lock over it and bold text saying something on the lines of further security information needed. There was no option to continue, go back, or cancell. Ive had no confirmations/emails from Ryanair and when I check my AIb online account linked to the maestro card it says no pending payments and nothing was taken out of my account.

Do I just go ahead and re-book this flight using my Credit card or is there any chance this flight purchase may happen? Just dont want to be billed twice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anyone having issues with the website last night and today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I agree, however I tried booking this evening, and there was no drop down box.

I was raging.

I reloaded the page a few times, and then went to Ryanair.ie and started the process all over again, and it magically appeared.

Should have take a screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Farcical stuff last week in Leeds Bradford, as usual the staff checking the size of bags hoping to impose a fee on pax, the bizzare thing is if you buy something in the duty free you can now bring it onto the flight and don't have to put it in your suitcase / bag, yet you are not allowed to have anything else for example a woman carrying a handbag which brings me to my point.

This woman was stopped and told she must put her handbag into her suitcase, she couldn't fit the entire handbag in as it was a large handbag, so had to take out the contents and try and squeeze them into her suitcase, then she is just left with the empty handbag and there's absolutely no room at all left in her suitcase which just about fits into the luggage belt thingy,but do you think they would just say fair enough and let go on, no chance, ever determined to get some commission by imposing a fee the woman was told she couldn't bring her empty handbag onto the flight with the suitcase unless she paid the baggage fee,at this point i stepped in and told the woman if she liked she could put her empty handbag into my bag and id give it to her on the flight , she said thank you very much and that's exactly what she did and i gave her the handbag once onboard, she said she will never fly with FR again after that humiliation.

So for future reference you could get an empty duty free bag and if challenged just say its duty free and there are signs saying you can bring an item of duty free onto the flight in addition to your one item of luggage or you can put up with this type of charade, with over zealous staff desperate to impose any fees so they can get some form of commission.

Ryanair - The worlds favorite airline

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

the bizzare thing is if you buy something in the duty free you can now bring it onto the flight and don't have to put it in your suitcase / bag

Since when? The Ryanair FAQ still says:

"If you have a handbag, briefcase, laptop, airport shop purchases, camera etc. these must be carried in your single permitted item of cabin baggage."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Oh that is my favourite trick! It depends on the airport if this is allowed. Malaga and I think Lanzarote allow it and also Bristol. You can buy a bar of chocolate to get your bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Farcical stuff last week in Leeds Bradford, as usual the staff checking the size of bags hoping to impose a fee on pax, the bizzare thing is if you buy something in the duty free you can now bring it onto the flight and don't have to put it in your suitcase / bag, yet you are not allowed to have anything else for example a woman carrying a handbag which brings me to my point.

This woman was stopped and told she must put her handbag into her suitcase, she couldn't fit the entire handbag in as it was a large handbag, so had to take out the contents and try and squeeze them into her suitcase, then she is just left with the empty handbag and there's absolutely no room at all left in her suitcase which just about fits into the luggage belt thingy,but do you think they would just say fair enough and let go on, no chance, ever determined to get some commission by imposing a fee the woman was told she couldn't bring her empty handbag onto the flight with the suitcase unless she paid the baggage fee,at this point i stepped in and told the woman if she liked she could put her empty handbag into my bag and id give it to her on the flight , she said thank you very much and that's exactly what she did and i gave her the handbag once onboard, she said she will never fly with FR again after that humiliation.

So for future reference you could get an empty duty free bag and if challenged just say its duty free and there are signs saying you can bring an item of duty free onto the flight in addition to your one item of luggage or you can put up with this type of charade, with over zealous staff desperate to impose any fees so they can get some form of commission.

You are entitled to 1 bag on Ryanair including handbags, airport shop purchases etc., maximum weight is 10kg and the dimensions are on their website.

I don't see what the womans problem was, she was trying to steal from Ryanair, I doubt Ryanair want her custom anyway, these people just slow everything down for those of us who want to get from A to B as efficiently as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This woman was stopped and told she must put her handbag into her suitcase, she couldn't fit the entire handbag in as it was a large handbag, so had to take out the contents and try and squeeze them into her suitcase, then she is just left with the empty handbag and there's absolutely no room at all left in her suitcase which just about fits into the luggage belt thingy

This has been Ryanair policy for years and you well know it - why the surprise that they enforce their policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sign in Faro last week clearly stated that "budget airlines" allow one bag of airport purchases (smokes, booze etc) onboard in addition to the hand luggage.

Plenty of passengers seemed to be doing so.

I suppose it's in the airports interest for airlines to allow carrier bags of airport purchases allowed on Ryanair et al. Otherwise it would stop people from using the shops in the departures area. Ryanair in Faro seemed to be complying with the advertised airpots signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

The very reason I hate people complaining about Ryanair. You don't know the restrictions and thus get angry when you are told you are wrong....which you are! There are very very very very very clear guidelines which were ignored through laziness or ignorance. I would never offer a complete stranger to place something they own in bag, especially not in an airport. While it may be very 'tin foil hat' of me, I wouldn't trust anyone I don't know in that situation. Also Duty Free shopping does have to be placed into luggage, and further more is security sealed and cannot be tampered with.

In a lapse of concentration once I had to fly to germany via london and bought whiskey in Ireland - totally forgetting I would lose the alcohol in London. You know who I was angry with? Myself because I made a mistake even though I knew restrictions. I popped the head out of the terminal and gave the bottle to two only delighted Irish people (they took it, which does go against my earlier point but its whiskey....everyone is happy).

Read the Ts and C's and stop moaning about being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Farcical stuff last week in Leeds Bradford, as usual ...
    ... the queue was delayed by someone who had not read or decided to ignore the terms and conditions of her booking which were not only agreed to at booking, but far from being hidden are clearly printed near the top of the boarding pass she was presumably holding in her hand, beside a bold, underlined "WARNING" note. Yet, obviously, this is Ryanair's fault.

"If you have a handbag, briefcase, laptop, airport shop purchases, camera etc. these must be carried in your single permitted item of cabin baggage."
    You are entitled to 1 bag on Ryanair including handbags, airport shop purchases etc., maximum weight is 10kg and the dimensions are on their website.

Over the last year or so, in some airports - Paphos and Manchester are two I've encountered - they've started waiving the duty free part of it: you can bring a separate duty free bag. Which obviously you can throw a few bits and pieces from your hand luggage into. Paphos had it advertised all over the terminal.
    In Manchester I'd stopped about 100m from the gate and spent five minutes cramming everything into my carry on bag, it was only when I actually reached the gate that I saw a sign and heard an announcement advertising the fact.

I'd imagine it could be hit and miss whether it's available in any airport at any given time, so I wouldn't be relying on it as a way to get extra space.

Also in Faro last week and I too saw that sign. We bought some ciggies for friends and then deposited mrs soaps handbag into the duty free bag. No problems. Staff were looking at bags but no mention of carry on duty free. I think it depends on what the airport owner has negotiated with RY. Knowing the knockdown price Ryanair pay for landing charges about the only gain for the airport owner is the duty free shopping. I suspect that different airports are treated differently by Ryanair, depending on how hard they are prepared to play ball. In the case of Faro, Ryanair now base all their Dublin flights from there so they are highly unlikely to fall out with the airport owners as this would mean returning their Faro based aircraft to Dublin. And Mickey wouldn't like that now, would he? :)

Oh that is my favourite trick! It depends on the airport if this is allowed. Malaga and I think Lanzarote allow it and also Bristol. You can buy a bar of chocolate to get your bag.

and by the looks of it Faro too. Just thinking, do EasyJet compete on any of the above routes from UK with Ryanair. They certainly do on the Faro route and EasyJet definitely allow duty free as well as 1 carry on bag. (dimensions are the same, but there is no 10kg weight restriction - which to be fair Ryanair hardly enforce)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've been caught by the weight limit before at Stansted. I had to hold my hands up to it as I'd gambled they wouldn't weigh my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I've no idea but if you are in LBA there is a sign in the duty free which clearly states that you are allowed to bring your duty free purchase onboard as an extra bag, it just beggars belief that they are then so strict about the size of bags I've never once seen this on EI.

Advertisement