Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3 Discussion Thread

Options
  • 20-07-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Latest Trailer (with gameplay footage) HD

Teaser HD

Gameplay Walkthrough HD

Fallout 3 is the sequel to Fallout (1997) and Fallout 2 (1998), developed by Black Isle Studios, these were two of the most highly acclaimed western RPG's ever. Their scope, action, depth, humour and story all went down well with fans. Two lacklustre sequels (Fallout:Tactics and Fallout:Brotherhood of steel) later and Interplay were defunct. Black Isle's work on Fallout 3 (codenamed: Van Buren) was cancelled.

The Fallout Liscence was bought by Bethesda Softworks, best know for the Elder Scrolls series. Work began after finishing Oblivion and the first teaser was released on the 5th of June 2007.

After waiting more than a year for gameplay footage, fans were awarded with four minutes of footage demonstrating the Real Time combat and the V.A.T.S system, as well as hints towards the story.

Fallout 3 has been announced for release on October 7th 2008 in NA and I for one am excited.

The one thing I most want to know is the release date for Europe. Oblivion was released only four days after America so that makes me hopeful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

It will be a near enough time release date as it is in America. I seriously cannot wait. Roll on October.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they **** this up, there will be some firebomb action at Bethesda :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ShinjiIkari

Very very excited.
    Hope Bethesda dont mess it up but I cant see that they will.
    I see on play.com a rather tasty collectors edition that I'm on the verge of pre-ordering.
    Sucker for a nice box

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

October huh?

I have read a review or two. They said the gameplay was good.

If its out in NA in Oct. When do we get it>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

It looks pretty good so far, I'm not liking the action sequence aimed shots though.

Must pull out fallout 2 and give it another go.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    October huh?

It will be out in October. Play.com have it listed as the 03/10/08 on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

October huh?

Review? You mean preview, surely!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I had one, big concern with this game. Then I read the following in a preview up on CVG
    While we're on levelling, it's important to underline that Fallout does address one of Oblivion's biggest foibles: the fact that as you levelled up, the entire world levelled up with you.

Thank God. I'm now sold.
    the fact is that I have never had so much fun with a first-person roleplay system: it's better than Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it's better than Oblivion, I will even go as far as saying (with the caveat that I haven't played enough stealth combat in Fallout 3) that it's better than Deus Ex.

FF8 did that and I wasn't sure about it. I agree its helpful in some respects, I mean you should never have to fight an absolutely pointless battle (Lets say you are in and around Midgar on the World Map in ff7 and run into som enemy with 50hp-whats the point?)
    I guess levelling up of your enemies to some extent is good in order to make sure battles are always worth fighting.

Yeah sorry I meant preview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

cant wait for this has potential to be game of the year.

from the the developer walkthroughs I saw at E3 it sounds like they addreased many of the issues people had with oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

FF8 did that and I wasn't sure about it. I agree its helpful in some respects, I mean you should never have to fight an absolutely pointless battle (Lets say you are in and around Midgar on the World Map in ff7 and run into som enemy with 50hp-whats the point?)
    I guess levelling up of your enemies to some extent is good in order to make sure battles are always worth fighting.

Yeah sorry I meant preview...

Fallout doesn't do random battles in the same pointless way the FF series does.

Returning to places at the end of the game to visit bloody vengance on those who may have slighted you earlier is one of the first two games best features.
    Every condescending NPC that ever irritated you in the slightest can and usually will meet a bloody end.
    Yes, Joanne Lynette, i'm talking about you. You bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It looks great. Though I have the feeling that a major upgrade will be required.

Lordofcheese, you're a petty man.

*runs away in fear of bloody revenge*

It looks great. Though I have the feeling that a major upgrade will be required.

Lordofcheese, you're a petty man.

*runs away in fear of bloody revenge*

You can afford to be as petty as you like with 120% in big guns, power armour and a bozar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Better than Deus Ex? For someone who has just finished Deus Ex for the first time (commence taunting) that's impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

wasnt deus ex 2 better than deus ex 1?:pac:

'flees before being ripped to shreads by angry mob'

wasnt deus ex 2 better than deus ex 1?:pac:

'flees before being ripped to shreads by angry mob'

Begone!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

While the game looks very good the thought of it being better than Deus Ex.......bawhahahahaha

To do that the game would need to tranfer €1,000,000 into my bank account and cure world hunger to be even in the same ball park as Deus Ex.

Deus Ex 2 wasn't that bad it was actually good. Just could not live up to the standards of the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I come from a weird position with this game; I only ever briefly played Fallout2, never played Fallout 1 & generally have only a casual familiarity with the game (despite being very much an old-school 90s PC gamer). On the other hand, I have spent manys a multiple of hours in Oblivion, wandering the countryside looking for adventure.

So for me, Fallout3 seems less of a golden cow & more of a semi-sequel to Oblivion. I recognise that Fallout was famous for it's dark humour and rounded RPG playstyles, but so long as it's a decent game that expands on Oblivion and irons out its flaws, I'll be happy. Throw in some that dark humour (which judging by that spoof 50s trailer, it has in spades) and it'll do ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

+1 pixelburp.

I've never played the first two Fallout games but I'm interested in this on the back of Oblivion. In fact the two games I am most looking forward to this year are this and Gears of War II.

I'm hoping Fallout 3 does what Bioshock should have i.e. provide a real open ended Sci-fi/dystopian experience.

+1 silvine.

Gears 2 and Fallout 3 are my most eagerly awaited games of the year aswell..followed by LPB, Dead Space, Fable 2 and Resistance 2.

• Advertisement

Stop it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fallout 3.
    Deus Ex 2.
    Liverpool 0.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fallout 3.
    Deus Ex 2.
    Liverpool 0.

Nice Zero P take there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fallout 3.
    Deus Ex 2.
    Liverpool 0.

Your mad you are......

:pac:

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Nice Zero P take there. :D
    Yeah, it may have sprung to mind when reading all those sequels ;)

silvine wrote: »
    I've never played the first two Fallout games

Stop whatever else you're doing and fix this now. You won't regret it unless you have no soul and hate fun.

You....don't hate fun, do you?

Stop whatever else you're doing and fix this now. You won't regret it unless you have no soul and hate fun.

You....don't hate fun, do you?

+1, I'm currently playing through Fallout 1 for the 3rd time being as evil a bastard as I can be.

and I hope you don't hate fun because fun loves you, fun loves all of us...in a dirty way.

Love is a SMG to the groin at point blank range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Love is a SMG to the groin at point blank range.

I think you'll find that "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... ;)

In other news, Silvine, Pixelburp play Fallout 1 & 2 or I'll be forced to make "love" to you....

• Advertisement

The Gnome wrote: »
    I think you'll find that "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... ;)

Your concept of love confuses and infuriates me.

Advertisement