Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3 Discussion Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If you people had taken as many Mentats as I have, you would realise how incredibly stupid you all sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

wanna try some Jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

wanna try some Jet?

Pssh, Jet, it's all about the Morphine now (this post was banned in Australia)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Gnome wrote: »
    I think you'll find that "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... ;)

In other news, Silvine, Pixelburp play Fallout 1 & 2 or I'll be forced to make "love" to you....
    I tried playing Fallout 2, in my defence. But I didn't take to the gameplay. Time was I would have enjoyed turn based games, but they just feck me off no end.

man, you could have just lied. Now he's gonna have to shake his love.

at you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Cant fupping wait for this! Hope itll be good, i played fallout 1 and 2 so much one of my fave games. Reading the preview sounds like its gonna be!

Cant wait to get my dirty mitts on a sexy gauss rifle...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Pssh, Jet, it's all about the Morphine now (this post was banned in Australia)
    No chance, E and L.S.D.
    RAVE ON! :cool:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Maximilian wrote: »
    I had one, big concern with this game. Then I read the following in a preview up on CVG

Thank God. I'm now sold.

On the flip side, there's a slightly worrying preview on Eurogamer here.

God, I hope they haven't screwed this up.

Still, at least it won't be this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Freaky; I was just reading that Eurogamer preview. Some of the criticisms, particularly aimed at the stodgy animation and combat, do eerily echo legitimate criticisms of Oblivion, so I guess they haven't bothered tidying up that aspect of their engine.

Also, some of the points seem somewhat overly opinionated tbh; the "Lady Killer" perk sounds kinda funny (and apparently there's an equivalent for female characters). As for the negativity about the art direction, I can't imagine there's much you can do with "post apocolyptic 50s".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Dont mind Eurogamer, pack of depressants. Mind you they still gave Halo 3 a 10 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Really does anyone trust Eurogamer anymore? They tend to dump on Popular games just for the hell of it. Every other hands on has given it stellar marks.

Really does anyone trust Eurogamer anymore? They tend to dump on Popular games just for the hell of it. Every other hands on has given it stellar marks.

This is why i'd trust them over the rest of the fawning reports.

Did you trust their 10/10 review of Halo 3?
    Or their 10/10 review of Fifa Street 2?

Eurogamer are a pack of cynics.

That preview though in fairness suggests some bias. For starters, the introduction clearly shows that the previewer wasn't entering the demo play with a free mindset as he rabbits on about the other games in show. Also, since when was the setting of a game something to be chalked up as a negative? The post-apocolyptic setting is hardly at ww2 levels of saturation usage, and even if it was, people still managed to look past the genre setting.

Plus, to any Oblivion fan, they'll recognise many of the quibbles. Fallout3, no more than Oblivion before it, should be more about the whole experience, rather than the individual components. Even if it's disappoinitng ot hear they still exist :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Returning to places at the end of the game to visit bloody vengance on those who may have slighted you earlier is one of the first two games best features.
    Every condescending NPC that ever irritated you in the slightest can and usually will meet a bloody end.
    Yes, Joanne Lynette, i'm talking about you. You bitch.

I have no idea who Joanna Lynette is but that had me laughing out loud :D

It depends on the reviewer a bit but generally I think Eurogamer has integrity.

I think this guy did seem a little prejudiced or just fatigued but he made a few valid points, which I've heard before.

Personally, I think this may well be a bit like Oblivion - that is to say a great game let down by a few design decisions. But still a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Did you trust their 10/10 review of Halo 3?
    Eurogamer are a pack of cynics.

I think I must be in the minority but Halo 3 is in the top of 10 my favourite games. I could give it a 10.

quarryman wrote: »
    I think I must be in the minority but Halo 3 is in the top of 10 my favourite games. I could give it a 10.

The only thing I liked about Halo was the Tsabo Highway level and the fact that it was a bit of craic with mates. No way is it a perfect 10 game.

I can see it now, Eurogamer giving Fallout a 7 or 8 just for the sake of it.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    The only thing I liked about Halo was the Tsabo Highway level and the fact that it was a bit of craic with mates. No way is it a perfect 10 game.

I can see it now, Eurogamer giving Fallout a 7 or 8 just for the sake of it.

I think they tend to overscore some games rather than the opposite. Even then I tend to agree - I don't know about Halo 3 but I can't disagree with the 10's they gave Bioshock or GTA4. I'm struggling to think of a game they gave too low a score than it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Again in the minority (and going very OT), but I could not get into Bioshock. It just felt like a generic shooter with a few fancy features thrown in.

Also, I got a headache from playing it. something to do with the scaling that was used that resulted in a fisheye perspective, or so i read...

• Advertisement

Again Bioshock had an amazing immersive atmosphere but as soon as you found out that
    fontaine was atlas
    the story went horrible downhill. And as for that stupid end boss fight.... Not a 10 but an 9 for the brilliant first half IMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    That preview though in fairness suggests some bias. For starters, the introduction clearly shows that the previewer wasn't entering the demo play with a free mindset as he rabbits on about the other games in show. Also, since when was the setting of a game something to be chalked up as a negative? The post-apocolyptic setting is hardly at ww2 levels of saturation usage, and even if it was, people still managed to look past the genre setting.

Plus, to any Oblivion fan, they'll recognise many of the quibbles. Fallout3, no more than Oblivion before it, should be more about the whole experience, rather than the individual components. Even if it's disappoinitng ot hear they still exist :(

The E3 gameplay video made me facepalm about 3 times, so i've got alot more faith in something that tries to make us all remember that fallout3 is not the second comming of jesus.

Advertisement