Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an Athlon X2 3800 still cut the mustard

Options
  • 20-07-2008 11:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

A friend is looking to upgrade his ageing gaming rig. It was the bees knees when I built it for him around 2 and a half years ago :P

So.... Stick in a 4850 and motor on for another few months or go with a really good bang for buck intel upgrade such as an e2180 at 3ghz and 4gigs of DDR2 and maybe even a 4870?

Im just afraid that even if he gets a 4850 for his current system the relatively old CPU could cripple performance in newer titles

Suggestions? Im leaning more towards the overhaul

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say the 3800 will be holding him back. Seeing as a 2180 is around €60, 4GBs ram is around €70 and a decent motherboard would be around €70 (gotta love hardwareversand) I'd go with the overhaul.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

He since told me he has a much bigger budget than I anticipated so its Overhaul all the way, might even squeeze in a Q6600 with the new budget :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Hope you don't mind if I tag on to the end of your thread but seeing as ye are discussing it ye might just be the people with the answer to my question .

I have an AMD 3800 dual core on a giggabye ga-m57-sli mobo , with a 640 mb xfx 8800 gts graphics card . I only have €100 to spend and was wondering if I would notice much of an improvement with a 6000 amd dual core for €92 from komplett ?

Any advice

Thanks

John

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As you can see in the sig, my machine is old, but still keeps up with it. IMO, it depends on the system + graphics card. May get a cheap GX 280 over in the States in September: may get a bit more from my system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement