Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hockenhiem circuit - dire

• 21-07-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

I havent watched the German grand prix for the last few years for a variety of reasons, but today I sat thru a few laps of it. I couldnt get over how they have absolutely destroyed the track with this new layout. I would give a kidney to see the old straights back in action. It was a spectacular track in the old days imho. I read a great quote about the old layout. "It may not be the most demanding racing circuit, but at least it was different".

I mourn badly. :(

Do others feel the same way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The old track was more interesting. Why did they change it anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This is what Wiki had to say:

"In the early 2000s, F1 officials demanded the 6.8 km (4.2 mi) track be shortened and threatened to discontinue racing there."

Heres whats left at the far end of where the old track used to be:
    http://www.schuerkamp.de/zope/hoover/racing/2006_jim_clark_revival/images/131_waldgerade.jpg
    http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/archives/Hockenheim/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think the reason for the change was so that more spectators could see more of the race. As regards safety, with the old track I always felt that there was the potential for a horrendous crash particularly on the approach to the 1st chicane on lap 1 and even more so in the wet. Even watching on TV i'd feel a kind of nervous excitement. Nobody wants to see a driver killed or injured but at the same time potential danger is part of the sport's appeal.

After lap 1 though I often found the races on the old track boring in terms of actual racing. It was often a case of seeing whose engine would blow up first. Having said that the German GP was one that I would look forward to along with Monaco, Spa, Monza, and Suzuka, also Mexico and Austria (old track) when they were still on the calender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Brundle says in his book that the old layout was uninteresting and downright dangerous and I tend to agree with him.

The new layout is better, but it's a shame they couldn't keep the forest atmosphere it had before.

It's definitely a lot more fun to drive on PS2/PC etc. than the old one was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The old track was something special, old fashioned long circuit

Do think the new track is better for racing action though, plenty of overtaking during Sundays race, a few different lines drivers can take with run off areas in the right spots, most of what they got rid of on the old circuit were just straights and chicanes

Would have liked to see the circuit be a bit longer as feels one or two corners too short, but then thats probably better than being longer with uninteresting corners (bit like indianapolis)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kodmuffin

i was at the race last weekend and noticed in the less powerful races cares found it harder to overtake-i remember in the gp 2 brunno senna was stuck behind someone for a long time without a proper chance of overtaking......but the rain came and spiced things up in that race!

if a few more overtaked like hamilton at the weekend it wouldve spiced things up abit!
    great weekend though!

Advertisement