Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italians Sunbathing Next To Dead Children

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

robinph wrote: »
    Yep, in the absence of the police etc being immediately on the scene I'd have thought it far more disrespectful for everyone to have just buggered off the beach and left it empty.
    As do I. If it were me, I would feel rather guilty if I just fecked off, like I were conciously unwilling to acknowledge these two lives that were lost, and would rather just go and swim elsewhere, safe in my own little world and oblivious to some harsh realities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A tongue in cheek bully. Now I dont give a sh1t if I get banned, I'm more than sick of the fascist bullys in here already. And my argument 'ceased' Mirror for that very reason. Dress it up anyway you like. I'm sure other posters on Boards are 'tongue in cheek' too but they get accused of trolling and then banned. It seems that having 4,669 posts save you from that though.
    If you feel there is a bullying culture on Boards, start a thead in Feedback about it, rather than complaining about it on an After Hours thread as that's off-topic.
    Ditto if you feel those who have accumulated a high post-count receive preferential treatment. A common notion, but not true.

But maybe avoid singling people out for personal snipes if you are concerned that there's a level of bullying going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

RIP. No matter if they are Roma, Italian, or whatever. They were children. I hope the parents get charged with neglect.

And for those of you who are ignorant enough to criticise the Italians, 2 more would have been dead if it wasn't for the people on the beach who risked their own lives to save the children so shut the hell up and stop basing your opinion on a photo and learn to read between the lines.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do we know these sunbathers are Italian?
    How come nobody has expressed relief that two children were saved?
    How many threads have we had in the last six months calling for the extermination of gypsies and why is nobody cheering openly?

It'll come as no suprise to anyone that Roma are not particulary appreciated in Naples... but you should see when Juventus are in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bros123 wrote: »

This week must be anti Italy week with the boys at the Mail, if your not british your fair game for their lies and insinuations.

Anyone who reads this peice of shit paper with an open mind has my deepest sympathy

The Mail also has some lovely anti Roma articles (for their Italian readership I guess!!!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-510100/Revealed-How-Romanian-pickpocket-gangs-building-palaces-home-child-slave-labour.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491200/Revealed-The-shocking-true-cost-immigration.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023929/Mass-immigration-blame-knife-culture-chief-constable-warns.html

• Advertisement

[spits]indymedia[/spits again],the sun, the mirror, and the star are all the same.

It frightens me that so many people dont see these rags as just joke/propoganda nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the bodies were left on the beach for another week I doubt if there would be any sun bathers within 1/2 a mile from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Considering the reputation of the Roma gypsies among italians, I'm not surprised tbh, they're giving the govt an awful time trying to keep roma kids in school, to give them some chance at a decent life.

Saddened a little, yes. But not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

But maybe avoid singling people out for personal snipes if you are concerned that there's a level of bullying going on...

:confused:
    The guy said, among other things, that anyone who didn't agree with him was stupid. I'm not sure whether he's trolling, or trying to be all clever and dangerous or something onanistic like that. I think his posts are out of line personally. He's winding people up over a highly emotive topic.
    Ditto if you feel those who have accumulated a high post-count receive preferential treatment. A common notion, but not true.

I have a fairly high post count and I think that is true tbh. To some extent it's fair enough because it's reasonable to assume if someone has alot of posts that they have been around the site a good while without doing anything bad enough to get banned (to any poster more established than themselves anyway), and that they are interested in the site and know about it etc. I've done it myself in some contexts - for example on the for sale/adverts forums I'd trust a user with a high post count more than someone "unknown". But there also is a mob mentality with a lot of the posters. They like to join in on hopping on someone for going against the grain. I experienced it myself when I had a low post count; and I never experienced it when my post count got over 1000 (not to be confused with being hopped on for obvious trolling). There's examples of that all over the place.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »

Is it mushroom season already ?

pwd wrote: »
    The guy said, among other things, that anyone who didn't agree with him was stupid. I'm not sure whether he's trolling, or trying to be all clever and dangerous or something onanistic like that. I think his posts are out of line personally. He's winding people up over a highly emotive topic.

I have a fairly high post count and I think that is true tbh. To some extent it's fair enough because it's reasonable to assume if someone has alot of posts that they have been around the site a good while without doing anything bad enough to get banned (to any poster more established than themselves anyway), and that they are interested in the site and know about it etc. I've done it myself in some contexts - for example on the for sale/adverts forums I'd trust a user with a high post count more than someone "unknown". But there also is a mob mentality with a lot of the posters. They like to join in on hopping on someone for going against the grain. I experienced it myself when I had a low post count; and I never experienced it when my post count got over 1000 (not to be confused with being hopped on for obvious trolling). There's examples of that all over the place.
    Excuse me, but are you referring to me??

I meant in general - not just on this thread. If MHB feels there's unpleasantness between posters here, maybe she should look at her own posting record before throwing stones...
    Well I don't give a sh1t what person's post count is. And it bugs me there's this notion that somewhere in Boards there's a bunch of evil conspirators deciding "yeah, let's make a point of treating people with high post counts better than those with low post counts"...

Dudess wrote: »
    "yeah, let's make a point of treating people with high post counts better than those with low post counts"...

Thats disgraceful, :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Mirror wrote: »
    Well actually, nobody has cared to ask what I would or would not do given the situation, but that's not really the debate.

But making allegations as to the wrong doings of the people in the vincinity is harsh imo. Nothing of the peoples reactions can be judged from the still images, mere snapshots of an entire hour of a given day. Perhaps the people are sitting in silent prayer. Who knows? They are certainly not casually sunning themselves as has been suggested.

And I would like someone with some experience in photography to confirm my guess that the distances are far greater than it would appear at first glance.

Use of a zoom lens can compress distance to make objects appear close than they are. Those people could be between 10-15 meters away. seeing as it's possible they are the ones who rescued the other children and recovered the bodies, that's a respectful distance I would've thought. It's as likely that they're the recuers as it is they're callous and unconcerned. 3 photographs which show a scene as it was for 1/100 of a second each prove nothing in this case. The Daily Mail is a filthy brit rag of the worst type as it looks and portrays itself as a proper paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Excuse me, but are you referring to me??
    I'm referring to the total ****tard saying there's a dearth of intelligence between the people who agree with him and those who don't. So that would be you yes.

Banned for personal abuse.

I'm referring to the total ****tard saying there's a dearth of intelligence between the people who agree with him and those who don't. So that would be you yes.
    That's not what I said, so I suggest you read my post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Dudess wrote: »
    Banned for personal abuse.

:rolleyes: Go on Dudess, just keep reinforcing every point I made. Don't bother banning Mirror for trolling or Stark for posting You Tube rubbish or Meditraitor for being off topic. And I would take this to Feedback but the elitist mentalities and bullying exists there too. I've heard from a few people about the fascism that goes on here but I've never witnessed it as blatantly as on this thread. Now I expect that seeing as I'm not in The Gang or sporting thousands of posts that I'll be banned for saying this. I will be contacting the site mods though as I feel really feel strongly about bullying, which is why I spoke out in Madser's defence today. So go edit your posts and round up your excuses. Or maybe I'm just being 'tongue in cheek' like Mirror is eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

MissHoneyBun banned. I'm a fascist bullying prick. Live with it.
    Now, the rest of you: kindly get back on topic and try to keep it semi-tasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Looks like Mirror is gonna have lots of time talking to himself:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

madser wrote: »
    Looks like Mirror is gonna have lots of time talking to himself:rolleyes:
    Indeed.
    Banned for continued trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Picture number one- we have no idea how long these people were sitting by the beach. They may have arrived after the bodies were recovered and not realised

Picture number two- Again, nothing

Number 3- absoloutely no idea of the emotion of the girl with back to camera. A person on the right has their head in their hands.

If I were Italian Id be more worried that the government might be guilt tripped into halting the deportations. Yes, it is sad that they died. Should have no bearing on the policy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

I don't understand why should people move? Maybe they are unsure whether to go or not after seeing the bodies, we don't know what's in their minds.

When I was about 14, we found a body of a man who fell off the cliff....it was a shock, but we stayed and even went back swimming after the coast guard came....
    i don't see any disrespect by just sitting there.....anyhow it doesn't look like they're enjoying themselves

Dont think they care tbh. They should be ashamed of themselves, even if you dont like the race of people in question there is no excuse to be that disrespectful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only people being disrespectful at any point in the whole story is the Daily Mail toward Italians.

You could possibly accuse the photographer that took the pictures as well, but without seeing the all of the rest of the shots he took you cannot realy be sure that he was going for the "look at the evil people sunbathing" shots, just that those are the pictures that were picked to go with the story that the "newspaper" made up. Anyway, if the photographer was going for the sunbathing shots then he failed as there are just a couple of pictures of people looking a bit glum whilst sat on a beach, and another of someone, who could be the beach lifeguard calling to find out where the hell the ambulance has got to, walking along near the bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

supertramp wrote: »
    I don't understand why should people move? Maybe they are unsure whether to go or not after seeing the bodies, we don't know what's in their minds.

Maybe they should move because sitting next to dead people isn't the hallmark of a good day out?

"Jaysus there's a lot of flies around here isn't there Antonio?"

"Yeah just try to ignore them. So how was your weekend?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I witnessed EXACTLY the same thing in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria 24 months ago. It was our last day of a 2 week hol and we said we'd kill a few hours on the beach. When we got down there there seemed to be a bit of comotion by the water in front of us and there were one or two uniformed men about. When the crowd dispersed the was the body of a large middle-aged man facing upwards.

Turned out he was a German in his 40s and got into difficulty further down the coastline, eventually washing up in front of thousands of sun bathers.

We stayed about for about 30 mins or so, the girlfriends were all a bit sick to the stomach with the whole thing.

Two towels were eventually thrown over him. I first saw him at about 13.00. He got carted away at about 17.30. He was on the beach for at least 5 hours. It really was amazing to see everybody just get on with their day, with families with kids literally lying feet away from his corpse. Still makes the tummy churn a little when I think back

Maybe they should move because sitting next to dead people isn't the hallmark of a good day out?

"Jaysus there's a lot of flies around here isn't there Antonio?"

"Yeah just try to ignore them. So how was your weekend?"
    I would hardly call it "sitting next to dead people" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apathy is a powerful force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You'd swear they were dancing a jig around the bodies the way the daily mail goes on.

TBF the in the first and third picture they do appear to be somewhat bothered sitting slumped arms folded hardly the normal sunbathing posture.

Second pic the guy seems to be scratching his nuts though... oh the evil heartless bastard.

Anyway

Daily Mail= RAG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

How do we know but maybe those in the photos are the ones that saved the other two and are staying with the two bodies so as to not leave them alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would hardly call it "sitting next to dead people" :rolleyes:

Fine... 'sunbathing'.

I give up... -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I guess the local authorties could have been a bit more helpful and screened the area the children were lying in but that would take a bit of planning...[insert stereotype punchline here]

by the way as no-one else has had the wit to check what the other press is saying
    clicky

Its not just the Mail throwing its hands up in the air.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Dont think they care tbh. They should be ashamed of themselves, even if you dont like the race of people in question there is no excuse to be that disrespectful.

Do you honestly think that people on the beach know the race of the corpses this early after the death?

What do you think the people were saying as they drowned?

"Save us, save us, we're from ______"

422nd wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that people on the beach know the race of the corpses this early after the death?

What do you think the people were saying as they drowned?

"Save us, save us, we're from ______"
    Read the article, it says the is hatred between roma's and italians.
    It could have been the case that they didnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I'm afraid I simply don't care.

Not because they are Roma children, but just because I direct my concerns towards my family and friends and my own life. I would feel completely false if I did feign concern. People die every day, some in more unfortunate circumstances than others.

Agreed with previous posters who can see that the Daily Mail is just trying to stir sh1t with the story. A picture can be described in many different ways depending on what the journalist wishes to portray. Here is a common example of this from the tinterweb.

http://footiemad.com/rooney.jpg

Are Rooney and Ronaldo lamenting the fact that a gilt edged opportunity to score a goal has been missed, or is Ronaldo playing a merry tune on the skin flute?

Don't trust photos, especially when a Daily Mail journo has added text to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol, it's not like they were real people, only Romanian beggars. good riddance imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is that supposed to be funny? Tell ya what, make it known that when you die you want everyone to just carry on doing what they were doing. Get them to just throw a towel over ya and keep watchin telly til the mortuary van comes to collect ya.

why would he care? he'd be dead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems that some people think it would be more respectful of the dead to leave the beach. It's not, all that does is stop you having to look at the unfortunate sight so that you could carry on with your holiday without the bad feelings.

The people who have stayed at the beach have shown far more respect for the dead than I think some of you would be capable of. There is zero sunbathing going on and nobody looks as if they are enjoying themselves in any of the photos. The people are being accused of "indifference" in the photos, but how exactly do you distinguish between a look of indifference and one of someone whos a bit upset about the kids that they just saw die in the ocean infront of them?

The other news sources seem to just be quoting the Daily Mail article as well so it's really just other papers repeating whatever they had already come up with.

Seems that some people think it would be more respectful of the dead to leave the beach. It's not, all that does is stop you having to look at the unfortunate sight so that you could carry on with your holiday without the bad feelings.

The people who have stayed at the beach have shown far more respect for the dead than I think some of you would be capable of. There is zero sunbathing going on and nobody looks as if they are enjoying themselves in any of the photos. The people are being accused of "indifference" in the photos, but how exactly do you distinguish between a look of indifference and one of someone whos a bit upset about the kids that they just saw die in the ocean infront of them?

The other news sources seem to just be quoting the Daily Mail article as well so it's really just other papers repeating whatever they had already come up with.
    +1

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

This is sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Yeah there might be something to what you're saying there. Hard to judge when you haven't been there. If it was indifference though it is chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

lol, it's not like they were real people, only Romanian beggars. good riddance imo.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Who knows, maybe the people on the beach are the ones who saved the other two kids? Pictures tell a 1000 words but pictures can not always tell the truth.

Look At this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yfWEpnLpw&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If that happened in Ireland, it'd be a few weeks untill the Roma would be noticed: when's the last time we got enough sun to sunbathe? :D

Wagon wrote: »
    +1
    phantom_lord banned for trolling and using this website as a platform for offensive, tasteless crap.
    Wagon infracted for spurring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

Motosam wrote: »
    "Italians do not leave scene of two drownings after saving two others shocker"

lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement