Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ Calvin James

• 21-07-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Strangely enough ive never heard of this guy before last Friday, was on the guest list for Nightflight @ The Button Factory so went in and have a look as id not been there since it was the Temple Bar Music Centre, i was quite interested in checking him out as it said he mixes on 3 decks with no headphones, a very difficult thing to do no doubt, anyway i must say very impressive indeed, his mixing was flawless and he played a really good jacking house type set, you certainly don't hear many dj's play with no headphones and on 3 decks but he was very good, anyone else check this guy out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jonny68 wrote: »
    Strangely enough ive never heard of this guy before last Friday, was on the guest list for Nightflight @ The Button Factory so went in and have a look as id not been there since it was the Temple Bar Music Centre, i was quite interested in checking him out as it said he mixes on 3 decks with no headphones, a very difficult thing to do no doubt, anyway i must say very impressive indeed, his mixing was flawless and he played a really good jacking house type set, you certainly don't hear many dj's play with no headphones and on 3 decks but he was very good, anyone else check this guy out?
    i heard about him,think i read about him in a mag a few years back.
    im puzzled if its done on the fly or is it preplanned.how can he beatmatch without hearing the other tune.especially in a loud club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Calvin's an excellent DJ and has been for a long time now. He played for my night jacKit recently and was superb. We'll be getting him back on Halloween night this year to support Chris Duckenfield (one half of the legendary Swag duo) in Kennedys in what's going to be our first every international gig.

Only occassionally does he do his X amount of decks and mixers with no headphones show and I know for a fact that he puts quite a bit of prep into it, as one might expect. He used to perform quite a bit of turntablism a few years back (pre 2004 I think) and you can usually spot this with regards to his smooth and effortless mixing style (well, almost all the times I've caught him which is a few now).

im sure its impressive but i have to ask why doesnt he use headphones if the end result is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

seannash wrote: »
    im sure its impressive but i have to ask why doesnt he use headphones if the end result is the same.

Mabe to be different, personally i could attempt it but the mixing would be all over the gaff as so used to the headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Aye, Calvins a good dj alright, I was playing with him there not too long ago in Kilkenny, very broadminded aswell, we had him playing techno down there and he was great, I have a copy of his Leccy Picnic set from the 1st one, again, no headphones, and its awesome, will up it for you if you like Jonny?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fieldog wrote: »
    I have a copy of his Leccy Picnic set from the 1st one, again, no headphones, and its awesome, will up it for you if you like Jonny?
    Do! I'd love to hear it

Will do next time im online at home Zascar!

Im in work at the mo so cant do it till later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

im puzzled if its done on the fly or is it preplanned.how can he beatmatch without hearing the other tune.especially in a loud club

2 things ...

1) Knowing your records well enough to be comfortable doing it.

2) Theres a reason for those flashing green and red lights on a mixer, most good ones are accurate enough for beatmatching.

I have one of his CD's at home somewhere, good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I'm sure there was someone over on nioldskool who uses the grooves on the vinyl to work it out rather than using headphones. Pretty impressive if it can be done but in saying that what difference does it make?? Just keep those beats in sync mister DJ ;)

I could probably have a good fist of it if I was watchin the LEDs, if you know your tracks it would be easy enough im sure!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Dun laoire wrote: »
    I'm sure there was someone over on nioldskool who uses the grooves on the vinyl to work it out rather than using headphones. Pretty impressive if it can be done but in saying that what difference does it make?? Just keep those beats in sync mister DJ ;)

If its the same thread I read, I think he was talking through his bum. Basically he was saying he mixes tracks by watching the colour varient on the vinyl, i.e. brings a track in on a break or where he saw the vinyl become darker. So not beat matching at all in his case.

Be keen to hear this too!

I could do it with a lot of tunes which i would know inside out but would still need to practise first.

Yeah upload that mix man would like to hear it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sounds pretty ****ing cool!
    Definitely get that mix uploaded, I'm well keen to hear it...

BTW anyone heading into the Button Factory this Friday to see the man like Francois K?

Really looking forward to this, Coxy on in Tripod the same nite but as much as id like to see Coxy again, im fcuked if im paying mad money and it's only €15 into Francois K, should be a top nite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

BTW anyone heading into the Button Factory this Friday to see the man like Francois K?

Really looking forward to this, Coxy on in Tripod the same nite but as much as id like to see Coxy again, im fcuked if im paying mad money and it's only €15 into Francois K, should be a top nite.

I thought you did not like minimal Jonny68? I dunno if you checked his playlists recently but there a lot of it in his sets these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Felixdhc wrote: »
    If its the same thread I read, I think he was talking through his bum. Basically he was saying he mixes tracks by watching the colour varient on the vinyl, i.e. brings a track in on a break or where he saw the vinyl become darker. So not beat matching at all in his case.

Be keen to hear this too!

Yeah i taught as much.

I thought you did not like minimal Jonny68? I dunno if you checked his playlists recently but there a lot of it in his sets these days...

I actually heard he will be playing more of a Disco/Funk set than anything with some House as well, if i thought there was going to be minimal id stay away, jaysus even Roger Sanchez is playing that muck now boring the pants off peple in Pacha Ibiza recently.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 calvin clean

Don't yiz believe in magic lads?

Don't yiz believe in magic lads?

How's Pablo Mr Clean? :p

I actually heard he will be playing more of a Disco/Funk set than anything with some House as well, if i thought there was going to be minimal id stay away, jaysus even Roger Sanchez is playing that muck now boring the pants off peple in Pacha Ibiza recently.:eek:
    saw sanchez last month.hes still playing the same old boring tribally house crap he always played.a bit of minimal would be a breath of fresh air from him.

• Advertisement

Hes alright man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Trab

If you plug a monitor into the headphone jack and you have it located close to you its actually quite easy to mix without the headphones. I'm not sure if this is what he does, but it is a way around using standard cans.

Hes alright man!

Look who joins boards when I show him the thread?

Get out - beardfeatures.....

Haha just here to defend my case should i have to! and trab, that sounds like a good way of doin it too

Fieldog wrote: »
    Look who joins boards when I show him the thread?

Get out - beardfeatures.....

I sent him an email about it too! haha lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭PCB

saw him play in rogue. he tapes the vinyls where he is going to bring them in and then matches it to perfect it. if you actually watch him do it its not really that impressive since he tapes them. not being a hater but i just thought that was cheating a little bit;)

PCB wrote: »
    saw him play in rogue. he tapes the vinyls where he is going to bring them in and then matches it to perfect it. if you actually watch him do it its not really that impressive since he tapes them. not being a hater but i just thought that was cheating a little bit;)

If that's cheating then what the hell is using headphones????? Jeez..... no pleasing some peeps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

That's nothing, I mix with four reel-2-reels and no ears!

(no arms either :()

Bring it on fruitcake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

I think i heard Arveen was doing the same, only with 4 decks and no earphones, did not see it though so could not confirm.

I think i heard Arveen was doing the same, only with 4 decks and no earphones, did not see it though so could not confirm.

Never seen Arveene do it (I'd be surprised) but I'm open to correction if anybody knows for sure otherwise!

wouldn't put it past him!

http://rapidshare.com/files/134118527/calvinjames-livefromelectricpicnic.mp3.html

Above is Calvins set from the electric picnic, sorry for the delay in uploading it!

;)

Dont think im breaking any rules as I think it was a radio broadcast, mods feel free to move if necessary.....

Advertisement