Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargal is getting fit...

Options
  • 21-07-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

I've been putting off starting this log for waaay too long so tonight I'm finally getting my ass in gear.

Basically over the past couple of months I've been kicking my diet into shape and now I want to look at getting fit again - well, when I say 'again', it's actually been a while. I played badminton throughout my time in school and college (finished last year) but by the end of college I had become pretty unfit. I really miss the way I used to be - always up for any sport and able to do it at a pretty decent level - and I want to get that back.

So my goal is basically to get reasonably fit again and build up my stamina for exercising. I also want to look better in clothes, I guess. I'm currently 79kg (haven't weighed myself in a week so will double-check this tomorrow) and could stand to lose some weight. Plus my doc has said that I have high blood pressure for my age (I'm 25) so exercise will be a good way to help get it down. I don't want to have a heart attack at 26!

I'm not a member of a gym yet so I'm going to be cycling, running, swimming and using an aerobics DVD that apparently is pretty decent.

Deep breath. Here goes nothing.

Saturday July 19th
    Cycled 14.5km. Went up to Clontarf seafront and back.

Sunday July 20th
    Cycled 25.1km. Went into town, stupidly came back through Drumcondra and ran into gazillions of people leaving Croke Park and then went up to Clontarf again to make up for the fact that I had to go so slowly through Drumcondra. Was pretty wrecked by the end. There's loads of slopes on the way back to my house.

Walked 2km at Dún Laoghaire pier.

Note to self: Don't wear a v-neck top with a push-up bra when cycling unless you want to give everyone a nice view of your boobs when leaning over the handlebars. Learned this the hard way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

well done , next time ur wearing that v neck drop over the finglas way :)

keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Stargal wrote: »
    I've been putting off starting this log for waaay too long so tonight I'm finally getting my ass in gear.

Way to go Stargal, a log is a terrific tool to keep you motivated. Are there any other goals you want to achieve? Thinking of going back to playing badminton?
    Note to self: Don't wear a v-neck top with a push-up bra when cycling unless you want to give everyone a nice view of your boobs when leaning over the handlebars. Learned this the hard way.

That's hilarious!! I knew I shoulda gone to the match...

That's impressive cycling too, going extra just cos you've been going slow is great going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    well done , next time ur wearing that v neck drop over the finglas way :)
    What am I, a mobile peep show? :p
    xebec wrote: »
    Way to go Stargal, a log is a terrific tool to keep you motivated. Are there any other goals you want to achieve? Thinking of going back to playing badminton?!
    Ah thanks xebec, appreciate it. Yeah I want to get back to playing for a club in September cos I really do miss it. Other goals? I guess ideally I'd like to take up another team sport (tag rugby or squash or something) cos I find the competitiveness really spurs me on. I haven't set targets for cycling or swimming or anything but that might be something that I'll do as I progress. Not sure yet about specific goals. I guess I really just want to look and feel better, vague and all as that sounds.

And yeah I felt like I had to do something to make up for the crap progress through Drumcondra but dear jesus, I really paid for it by the end of the cycle! At this stage I feel like that Bond girl in Goldeneye who could crush men to death with her thighs.

Monday July 21st
    - Did 30 minutes intensive aerobics (v old-school - I thought aerobics went out with the 1980s? Meh, it was v good anyway, was wrecked by the end!)
    - Cycled 16.7 km. Went out to Clontarf seafront again. I really like that cycle.

Today's discovery
    As I've gotten more confident cycling on big roads, I've also gotten more aggressive with bad drivers. I'm starting to sound like an extra in The Wire. I'm about one bad driver away from calling someone a motherfúcker and meaning it.

Tuesday July 22nd
    Cycled 14.7km today. It was ok. I can tell I'm going a lot faster and steadier than I used to - um, except for the cycle home from town, which was slightly alcohol-fuelled. So that probably wasn't faster or steadier than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

What am I, a mobile peep show? :p

well :)

fair play on the cycling front , just got back into it myself

doing around 20k a day in 45 mins in the gym , so maybe when ur in the gym just see how long it takes to do 20k ( gives me an idea if im fast or not ) :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 27th July
    Cycled 14.6km.

Haven't done any real exercise at all the past few days, just some v short distances cycling and walking. In my own defence, I had a reason, albeit a slightly ridiculous one. We had a big party for my dad's 70th yesterday so for the days beforehand I was getting tanned, waxed and other such things to ensure I looked halfway decent for the shindig, but which also weren't exactly conducive to doing any exercise. You can't do anything involving 'friction', hot showers or other such things after them.

God, that's even more dumb written down than it was in my head - but think it's better to write it down so I remember why I didn't do anything over the past few days!
    Fatloss08 wrote:
    doing around 20k a day in 45 mins in the gym , so maybe when ur in the gym just see how long it takes to do 20k ( gives me an idea if im fast or not ) :)
    That sounds like a pretty good time but I don't really know tbh. I cycle outside rather than in the gym, and while I keep an eye on my time I wouldn't know exactly how long it takes. [Note to self: Have to re-attach my bike computer so I can track speed and stuff]. The folk on the Fitness forum would be way better to ask about times and stuff!

Tuesday 29th July
    Cycled 14.7km

Wednesday 30th July

Cycled 33km

Even though I didn't do much yesterday I found it tough going. Don't know how to explain it but it felt like my muscles had gotten weaker or something because I felt like I couldn't cycle as fast or as hard as I'd usually like. Meh.

Today was good. Slopes are no longer my enemy.

Plan for tomorrow is to go swimming.

Thursday 31st July
    30 mins intensive aerobics.

Felt crap after a minute or two but I stuck with it and about half way through, something changed. I stopped thinking 'ok, just keep going, you're not going to die' and started thinking 'hey I'm actually doing pretty well'. Which was cool.

Was going to go for a jog or a cycle but my right leg is a bit gammy. Going to see how it is later this evening or else tomorrow.

Friday 1st August
    30 mins intensive aerobics

Had planned to go for a jog but had to turn back after 500m due to er, technical difficulties... Basically I need to get a proper sports bra because it was impossible to run properly wearing the one I was wearing. It's hard to explain just how awkward and uncomfortable it was for anyone who hasn't been in that situation but let's just say it wasn't pleasant!

In other news, I haven't noticed much of a difference myself but I've gotten a good few comments from people lately saying that I look well which is def a bonus. I'll take measurements this weekend so I can start tracking any changes.

Saturday 2nd August
    Cycled 26.5km

Had just planned to go into town and back again but it was such a gorgeous evening I went out past Merrion Square and cycled along the canal instead, up to - Crumlin? Drimnagh? My geography knowledge is letting me down here but it was a great cycle anyway. Calm evening, sun setting and lots of people wandering around the streets.

Whoo-hoo of the day:
    I had left my bike attached to a rack about 15 minutes from my house for two days and was worried that it wouldn't be there when I finally went to get it back. It was. I nearly hugged it.

Slightly worrying development of the day:
    I've started talking to myself a bit as I cycle along. Sometimes it's to give out to drivers/pedestrians who won't be able to hear me but I do it anyway ["Listen buddy, I have the right of way here so don't even think of it, right?"]. Sometimes it's to encourage myself ["And it's Stargal pulling away from the pack as the final stage of the Tour de France heads for the l'Arc de Triomphe...]. Occasionally it's stuff I wouldn't actually say to the pedestrians I'm cycling by ["Woah, hi there Hottie McHotterson..]. Either way, it's slightly worrying.

• Advertisement

Hey Stargal,

Just in case you're looking for some cheap cycle stuff, Lidl have some offers on Monday.

And I sing to myself when I'm cycling so don't worry about it (though I try to make sure no-one else is around/in hearing distance)!

Myth wrote: »
    Just in case you're looking for some cheap cycle stuff, Lidl have some offers on Monday.
    And I sing to myself when I'm cycling so don't worry about it (though I try to make sure no-one else is around/in hearing distance)!
    Cool, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that out. I want a new back light and possibly a few other bits and pieces. A helmet would probably be good (I know, I know...).

And you sing to yourself? Dude...

/makes cuckoo signs behind your back

;)

Heh.

Cycling forum thread is here where they basically critique some of the stuff available, so it's handy to know before hand.

Myth wrote: »
    Heh.

Cycling forum thread is here where they basically critique some of the stuff available, so it's handy to know before hand.
    Yep was just reading it there. The light set looks handy and maybe the reflector bands. Doesn't look like they have any ladies jackets but maybe a small men's one would be good. I'll cycle up on Monday.

Wednesday 6th August
    Cycled 13.6km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

And you sing to yourself? Dude...

/makes cuckoo signs behind your back

;)

Heh, I used to always sing to myself when I was doing long runs, you can't help it when you're listening to The Beach Boys!!!

Okay, so time for an update.

Well, the last week has been atrocious. Embarrassingly bad. I ate out in restaurants for about four nights in a row, did nothing at all resembling exercise and have been sleeping terribly. I feel like human play-doh.

Worse, the longer I've left it to exercise, the crapper I've felt. I did aerobics today and it was weird; I didn't get out of breath like I have in the past but my muscles felt weak as I was doing it. It's hard to explain but I just didn't feel as strong as I usually do.

So getting back on track now today and yesterday. Hell yes.

Friday 8th August
    Cycled 20km

Tuesday 12th August
    High intensity aerobics 30 minutes

Heh, I used to always sing to myself when I was doing long runs, you can't help it when you're listening to The Beach Boys!!!
    See, I mocked you guys for doing it but I've found myself singing the same songs over and over while on the bike lately, so I'll take back my implications that you were crazy ;)

Wednesday 13th August
    Cycled 15km

Thursday 14th August
    Day 1 of the Couch to 5k challenge. Alternated between jogging and walking for 20 minutes.

Yay!

I'll write more on this tomorrow cos it was kinda a big deal for me.

Advertisement