Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can my friend leave his rifle in my gun safe?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

my mate paid for a new Air-Arms Fac rated air rifle yesterday. its a beaut! he hasnt had a firearm for a few years and is just gettin back into it, (he is wheelchair bound and has finally found an outlet that he loves... plinking and targets via my gun!!). anyhows, with the nature of his work (freelance english teacher to non nationals/adult literacy), he is never in one place for more than 3 days per week, he has several addresses, but non permanent etc.
    if he put on his application form for the rifle that it will be kept in my safe, would that be ok? im here (licence holder) 7 days a week, so his rifle will always be in an occupied house.
    anybody any idea if this is acceptable before he actually says this to the F.O?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Logically, the FO should accept that arrangement as being more secure, whether they will or not will probably boil down to the local FO/Super.

I'm licensed on a DURC club gun which is obviously not stored in my home. It's stored in a different Garda district to where I live and my local FO had no problem with it.

I'd say there's a fair chance the FO will accept it, and there's nothing to lose by asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

flanum wrote: »
    my mate paid for a new Air-Arms Fac rated air rifle yesterday. its a beaut! he hasnt had a firearm for a few years and is just gettin back into it, (he is wheelchair bound and has finally found an outlet that he loves... plinking and targets via my gun!!). anyhows, with the nature of his work (freelance english teacher to non nationals/adult literacy), he is never in one place for more than 3 days per week, he has several addresses, but non permanent etc.
    if he put on his application form for the rifle that it will be kept in my safe, would that be ok? im here (licence holder) 7 days a week, so his rifle will always be in an occupied house.
    anybody any idea if this is acceptable before he actually says this to the F.O?

get your friend to put your name on the firearm cert also if you can trust
    your friend with using the firearm in a safe manner WHY NOT;)STEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At the same time we talked about this idea before and the thing with IRLConor's setup is that his rifle is licenced to him but also on DURC's authorisation (same as my two which are also stored that way at the moment). Some FO's might baulk at a rifle being in someone's safe without that someone having a licence for it. That said, it's an easy fix to have two people licenced on the same rifle. Alternatively, if you have the licence for the rifle and he's shooting it on a range, that's perfectly legal as well (it won't work for hunting and you'd have to go to and from the shooting range with him though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It would be the simple solution allright. It's Jimmy's rifle but since Jimmy is on the road a good bit it's going to be stored in Paddy's house. Can you just put Paddy's name and address on the licence as well ?

It'll have to be some plank of a Super that says no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

will pass it on to my mate. (this means ill be able to use his air-arms:D).

i didnt even know 2 people could be put on the same licence:eek:!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.........It'll have to be some plank of a Super that says no.

There are a few out there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

flanum wrote: »
    will pass it on to my mate. (this means ill be able to use his air-arms:D).

i didnt even know 2 people could be put on the same licence:eek:!

2 people on the same firearm, which means two separate licences. Why would they say no to two fees for one gun? :D

Advertisement