Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs For The Elderly

Options
  • 21-07-2008 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Looking for your opinion on whether I should suggest to my nana to get a dog or not. She doesn't like having cats indoors but I don't think she would have a problem with a dog. She is seventy and pretty done up, she walks very slowly as she has back pain and uses a walking stick so walking a dog is out of the question although it would have access to a secure yard out the front and I would be willing to take the dog for a walk every week when I visit.

I often hear of old people who have a quiet older dog that would be happy to lounge around all day and relax in front of the range. I think a small, lazy older dog would suit her, at least over six years old. Me and my family would be happy to walk the dog, take it to the vet and clean it for her. I'm sure rescues regularly get older dogs and find it hard to re-home them as everyone wants an active puppy.

Of course if the dog managed to outlive her we would take it on so it wouldn't end up back in a shelter. She lives alone now and a dog would be a great companion.

Just wondering how you feel about this and whether getting her a dog would be a good idea or a bad one. I'm half and half on each side so open to all opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately older dogs often get overlooked in pounds and rescues. I really think this is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I'm sure if you got your nana a nice quiet dog she would outlive all non-dog owners.
    The companionship of a dog is the best medicine for your body and mind!... as I'm sure most people here will agree.
    Just make sure your nana wants a dog though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im goin to spout my bit about greyhounds as usual- "get a greyhound"...retired one would be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im goin to spout my bit about greyhounds as usual- "get a greyhound"...retired one would be ideal!

greyhounds are fantastic pets, and they are lazy - but who's going to walk it? A walk once a week like the OP suggested is not enough for any dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Glowing wrote: »
    greyhounds are fantastic pets, and they are lazy - but who's going to walk it? A walk once a week like the OP suggested is not enough for any dog!!

+1 yes forgot to mention that too! Another poster got a hard time last week for wanting a dog that he said he would walk twice a day! Once a week is not satisfactory, greyhound or not!

• Advertisement

It's a real pity your gran has an issue with cats. A cat would be perfect for her situation and, would give her great company without a requirement for daily excercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Glowing wrote: »

Now our dog at home is far from any thing like a grey hound... he has stumps for legs!! :D
    But he is nearly 18 years old, has never been sick, never overweight, is very well trained, active, very interested, and intellegent...drumroll... never really gets walked!
    He has the full run of our large garden (countryside, 3 acres) when he wants to get out of bed (lazy :rolleyes:) and has interaction with humans all day long. He travels the country as my folks don't like him to be left alone because he gets a bit depressed when he's alone. He gets brought to the beach the odd time too.
    My point is that not all dogs really need to get walked every single day, as in leash and collar, off for 1 or 2 miles... but I know that some dogs do(edit: I should say the vast majority of dogs, especially in towns/ smaller gardens)... like the weimaraners, greyhounds and dalmations.
    But what they all do need everyday is lots of interaction with humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Either an older retired grey or a small older house dog, however every dog needs stimulation and even elderly dogs need to get out and about so perhaps if she does get one you could offer to help walk it every other day. Older dogs can come with health issues she would prob need a lazier older dog but not one that's about to keel over. Small older terriers can be hardy but easy going.

You would need to talk to her and see if she really wants one for sure and also what type of dog she actually likes herself as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

If the daily excersize is a problem you could always think of hiring a dog walker.
    I dog walk and I get a lot of older people wanting me to walk their dogs because they haven't the energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I haven't discussed it with her yet but I don't think the breed would matter much to her anyway. Would be looking for a small terrier of some sort though, greyhound would be nice but too big for her as she lives in a small house, I'd be looking for a small dog to sit beside her, basically a companion as I think she is a bit depressed since my grandad passed away. She needs company and 'something to do'.

I agree that once a week is very little but as I said earlier he would have access to a secure yard and I would walk him once a week but alot of older dogs don't have much interest anyway and would be happy to have a sniff around the yard instead, example being my own 13 year old dog. I would walk him more often but I live ten miles away from there and wouldn't have a lift there every other day. She could hire a walker but she wouldn't trust a stranger. She gets home help once a week too so I could suggest she asks the woman to give her dog a walk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't an old dog who no one wants because it's old happily trade it's shelter life for a warm bed beside the range, a yard to itself, good food and an old woman who has nothing else to do but dote on him day and night?

I'd have to discuss what type of dog she is looking for but my guess would be an older small dog that is good-natured and easy going. I couldn't get her a dog that will jump up as if she falls she can't get up by herself. My grandmother needs some stimulation in her life and I think a pet of some sort in her life would be great for her.

A cat would be perfect but we have to keep in mind that in her day cats were skinny and sickly, considered vermin and nearly the equivalent of rats, she doesn't understand that they make good pets.

I'm still half and half so I am not taking sides and open to all opinions.

• Advertisement

I think you're right in that a dog would be a great companion to your gran. The key here is to find the right dog though - it could go tragically wrong otherwise for both your gran and the dog! :)

Have you tried calling a few of the shelters? If you explain the situation, they might keep you in mind when older dogs turn up, or they might already have a dog which would be perfect for that situation. It's not going to be right for most dogs however - so you might have to be a bit patient until the right lad comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not a bad idea in principle, but there are a few things to consider:

Any dog that wouldn't be too much for your granny to handle and that would be happy with the limited excercise would be a little bit past it already. Before you now it, you might not only have a granny that needs help, but also an ailing dog on top of it that needs assistance, regular vet visits, medicine, etc ... No problem for a fit and healthy person, but an additional burden for your granny

Older dogs unfortunately haven't that long left to live. What is going to happen, if that dog actually helps to get her out of her depression and she bonds with it very strongly, only for the dog to pass away shortly thereafter?
    That might be one blow too many

I'd say you need to talk to your granny first and make sure that a dog is what she wants (and needs)

I haven't even said anything to her yet but when I do I won't be picking the first dog that comes along, I'll have to be sure the shelter knows it's temp well because we can't take any risks. I know not having a walk everyday isn't ideal but he would lots of social interaction and a warm bed at night. ;)

I'm thinking a dog around 6-7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm thinking a dog around 6-7 years?

Well, we have an eight year old here and he's as fit as a fiddle and quite demanding when it comes to excercise. He would not be happy to just lounge around all day (unless it's raining :D)

I suppose it alls depends on the dogs temperment, I just picked that age as I know younger dogs might be more ''hyper''. I'd get a dog older then that but wouldn't go over nine years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I think a dog would be a great idea, my Nan wanted to take on a rough collie I rescued a while back (shock horror as she believes all animals should be kept outside as well)but I couldn't let her as he is only two yrs old and needs exercise all day every day and is very hyper so against my own policy not to take on animals as I never have an empty house I will be looking for an older dog for her and she agrees he can sleep in the conservatory at night.

I will be looking for the older well none breeds that have been forgotten for the sake of the fashion accessorie dog like the poodle or the dachshund or cocker spaniel as these breeds don't seem to be to hyper. I will be ringing the pounds first to see if anyone hands in a dog that was already owned by an elderly person as they will already be used to older people.

A lot of older dogs in pounds no matter how healthy they are are pts because they just don't stand as much of a chance to be adopted as the younger ones so you will be saving a life into the bargain.

I would speak to her first as she may feel she has taken care of enough in her life time and might not want the extra worrie of a dog. If she does then take her along to meet the dog before you take it home, my grandmother is very fussy when it comes to how an animal looks, like all black or brown etc' is fine but a tri. coloured animal to her is dirty looking?

Having a dog to bond to gives her something to get up to in the morning and will take some time out of long days.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that post, I'll be sure to discuss it all with her first and make sure it is something she wants. I know when we had a litter of pups a few years ago she wanted one but we persuaded her otherwise as a puppy wouldn't suit her. I don't know if she'd be picky about it or not, I'll ask her what kind of dog she would like too. I'll give a call to the local pound and leave my number if they get in any dogs.

Like you said, she needs a reason to get up in the morning. Of course all my family visit her but I think it would be nice for her to have a companion and something to stimulate her a bit if you know what I mean. I hate to think of her sitting alone with just the tv for company. She had an outdoor cat but it had to be pts a few days ago. She was talking of another cat for outdoors but I'll suggest a dog to her instead.

Advertisement