Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"safe" on car radio

Options
  • 21-07-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

i recently bought a 2nd hand car(04 corsa) and when i went to use the radio, safe appears. i looked up the manual, it says i need a code, found the code. tried following the instructions, and i couldnt get safe off the screen as i couldnt get to the entering the code stage. also in the manual, it says that it should tell me how many attempts at the pin there is but it dosnt, this implies that its totally blocked and needs a new radio altogther.

has anyone had this experience. bear in mind i didnt lock it, it was like that when i got it.

i informed the garage of this and he said he would contact me today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds like someone else has already used up the number of 'goes' the radio allows for inputting the code.
    If it's an original fit radio, a main dealer should be able to unlock it.

Post the make and model of your car and the make and model of the radio, and someone may be able to sort you out right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GF is getting this done by the dealer for €15

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

dont have the info to hand.. its a 04 corsa njoy. radio is cr 500 or something (sorry)
    im bringing it to the dealer for him to sort it as it was sold to me like this on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Incase you havnt brought it to a dealer yet, once you have the code it will probably be easier to do it yourself than having to drive to one.

Turn the ignition on so the igniton lights are on but car not started. Turn the radio off. Display should now show the time and date. Hold in the AS button and turn the radio on. Keep the AS button pressed until the display changes to 10----. When it shows this, use button 1 to bring up the first digit, then button 2 for second and so on for the 4 digits. Then when you have the code on the display, hold in the AS button again and the radio will return to normal.

The 10 indicates the amount of tries you have before the radio is locked so if you enter the wrong code it will show 9 the next time. If it shows a number and safe such as 7safe instead of the 4 dashes this is a security wait time. Leave the ignition on for a few mins and it will change to the dashes. The wait time increases the more you try so could take a while.

Try this and let me know what happens if this doesnt work.

also another possibility is that the reason you are not getting to 10---- could be that the on/off button is not working properly. They sometimes dont function right so if the radio doesnt appear to turn on and off properly try pressing in the top of the button a bit harder and it will usually work. you will know if this is happening if the display doesnt change to the date and time when you turn the radio off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lucifer, you are a mine of information. Might get an Opel when it's time to change!

Not your ornery onager

Its what you get from working on them 5/6 days a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Hi Lucifer,

Will the same method work on a Vectra witht hte same problem?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those systems are a right PITA, my Blaupunkt uses a two card system but I guess thats risk if you someone how loose the cards.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

I got the code for a philips radio (Astra) from this forum:

http://www.usedcarmart.co.uk/forum/f27-car-audio.html

Post the Radio make, model and serial number and someone will probably wotk out the code for you.

• Advertisement

yes that same method will work for a vectra also. This will work for all opel radios up to around 05 when they done away with the radio codes.

Advertisement