Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Surf Board for the Missus - Plastic ?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

So basically herself wants to take up surfing, So I was going to surprise her with an early brthday present of her first board but i'm not sure wether go go for a plastic popout or spend the extra few quid and go epoxy ?

I'm not sure how long she's going to keep at it, hopefully its not going to be a passing interest, but I cant be certain so I dont want to spend a bomb on a board for it to be left sitting in her shed.

She's quite small (about 5' 5") so I was looking at something around the 7' 2"/7' 3" mark.

She's been out on my old Hi-Fly (7' 10") a few times and found it a bit too bulky and too wide for her shoulders to allow her to paddle properly.

I can pick up a 7' 3" BIC, leash, fins and bag for about 350 delivered but some part of me is saying to go the extra few bob and pay for the epoxy, but she can be a bit clumsy at times so I have visions of it hopping off the ground/rocks.

So basically i'm not sure if i'm jsut being cheap or not ?

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

**** it, what I'd do is buy her an 8 and a half foot log.
    Then if she stops surfing, you got a nice board for longboarding days

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

c - 13 wrote: »
    I can pick up a 7' 3" BIC, leash, fins and bag for about 350 delivered

274e :D

I dont think you're being cheap, I think you're being sensible.
    if she is just starting then a bic should be fine.
    itl give her time to get used to handling a board so by the time christmas comes around you can get her an epoxy board ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

TheTubes wrote: »
    274e :D

I dont think you're being cheap, I think you're being sensible.
    if she is just starting then a bic should be fine.
    itl give her time to get used to handling a board so by the time christmas comes around you can get her an epoxy board ;)

Legend, its reasons like this I love boards :D

Fuzzy, dont think I havent considered it. He might be suspicious if I bought her a 9' 6" board and then "borrowed" it constantly.

Suppose I should get something in girly colours to stop me taking it either way. :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You're def not being cheap! Thoughful and encouraging what more can you expect from a present!

Sorry for hi-jacking but don't want to start a thread to ask the same question!

Are Bic's decent starter boards? trying to decide on what to get for me and gf. That Bic 7'3 Bic would suit her height (5'5).

I'm 5'11 so could i ask for some suggestions?

For starting out their fine. Plastic will last longer if your not as careful in the water etc. The epoxy are lighter and more bouyant in general but can damage more easily.

The plastic boards are basically cheap and cheerful but will surf alright and last forever. They have an decent resale value so if you decide to trade up you can always flog it on and put the cash towards something else.

I still have my first plastic in the shed and it gets some use every now and then as lent to someone as a starter board.

• Advertisement

Well I just though i'd follow up on this - I decided to go the cheap ass route ... and not buy her one at all :D

My reasoning being she wont use it when i'm around (which is most of the year now) so it will just be another unloved board sitting in a shed somewhere.

I've got a 6' 6" Sunride Fibreglass that i'm too fat for that Ill try her out on when i'm home next weeks (Two weeks of surfing, I've not been in the water for 3 months).

If she does take it up when i'm not around ill buy her her own board next time i'm home.

If the takes to it ill give that to her.

Thanks for the advice as always !

Advertisement