Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying electrical products in the states?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi

I will be heading off to the west coast of america in a few weeks. When I am there I may considering buying electrical products like video cameras, mp3 players etc.

1. Are there any custom issues with buying goods to bring back to Ireland?
    2. Are there any technological issues such as incompatible voltages etc?
    3. Are electrical goods really cheaper in the states than they are here?

many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You will be liable for duty on all such purchases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

PGL wrote: »

1: If you declare them to customs on the way back you'll have to pay duty.

2: Yes. The US use 110V. We use 220 / 240V. Some devices (laptops for example) can work with both voltages. Other devices will blow the power supply if you plug them in without an appropriate adapter (which cuts out some of the savings you've made).

3: Generally. They've less tax (in some states no tax), they've no WEEE and they've way more competition. However if the device goes faulty you'll lose all savings by having to ship it back to where you bought it. For some stuff having a look up north or in the UK might give similar savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The last time I was over there (2 years ago) I bought a Camcorder online - shipped to my US address - and a Creative Zen for a pal of mine. I unboxed both, put them in with my luggage and had no issues coming home.

You'll need a travel adaptor for recharging purposes and running off the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You're liable for VAT (@21%) and import duty (<5% mostly). Despite it being illegal many (presumably the vast majority) of Irish shoppers returning from the US don't declare (red channel in the airport) their goods. That's a risk you can calculate yourself.
    US is 110+v/60Hz and here is 220+v/50Hz. That, and different physical plugs. Most small electronic devices (cameras, MP3 players, phones, etc.) come with dual voltage chargers (110-220v 50-60Hz), but you'll need to double check. If your item does, you'll just need a cheap plug converter. If it doesn't you'll need a step-up transformer (to go from 110v to 220v) with a wattage that's large enough to drive your device (the higher the wattage, the more expensive the transformer). For the vast majority of equipment, you won't need to worry about the difference in the 50/60Hz. However, for some high-end audio gear, or some high quality motors, you might. Transformers that manage the voltage difference AND the frequency difference tend to be more expensive again (but you're likely to know a bit about this already if you're buying that sort of equipment, so it probably doesn't apply). So if it's dual voltage (and it probably is), just a plug converter for <€5. If it's not, a transformer from ~€30 up.
    Most small stuff is a good bit cheaper (helped even more by their lower sales tax/VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The video camera will be NTSC we are pal so you will have problems with playback on anything other than the camera itself and the quality is less with NTSC than PAL...

Be very careful when buying camcorders abroad...

If you need any additional info or help regarding this pm me as its one of the businesses I am involved in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Be very careful when buying camcorders abroad...

If you need any additional info or help regarding this pm me as its one of the businesses I am involved in..

I bought one abroad - a Panasonic mini DV - no problems. Most modern TVs will display PAL/NTSC just fine.

Do you sell camcorders yourself then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I bought one abroad - a Panasonic mini DV - no problems. Most modern TVs will display PAL/NTSC just fine.
    QUOTE]

When you say abroad, where exactly ? or are you saying you are shooting all your memories on an NTSC camcorder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what about say slrs, are these ok to buy over there and is Canada in the same cheaper price range as USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

TheDriver wrote: »
    what about say slrs, are these ok to buy over there and is Canada in the same cheaper price range as USA?

SLRs will work fine, the warranty will be US/Canada only.
    re buying in Canada, u need to look at the xch rate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thought warranties were world wide with e.g. nikon etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i think most are US or European. Im not sure about Nikon though. I think kodax here wont cover you if you buy in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

davton wrote: »
    i think most are US or European. Im not sure about Nikon though. I think kodax here wont cover you if you buy in the US.

Completely depends on the Manufacturer. Most products that are deemed portable have a Worldwide warranty (excluding some countries like Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan)

For example Apple offer Worldwide on all Portable stuff but not Desktops etc.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/irl/Images/worldwidewarranty.html

Check the blurb in the warranty for whatever your buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

TheDriver wrote: »
    thought warranties were world wide with e.g. nikon etc?

Nikon warranties are worldwide.. at least the previous two cameras I bought had worldwide warranties inside the box.

Advertisement