Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

direct debit mandates

Options
  • 21-07-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

quick question .
    i had a direct debit for services with a company and closed the account over six months ago . payed up in full ect .then today i get a statement from my bank saying that they have taken money out of my account plus when checking my account they tried to get money on two other dates this month (with my bank charging me 20euro for the pleasure)
    i rang and got some snotty nosed accounts person .who by the sounds and grunts he made could,nt give a fork .and we will get back to you
    can i claim them for my 20euro charged for the direct debit refusal as imo they had no right to go near my bank account in the first place.
    also can anyone tell me why "they "after six months would decide to first try get money and then take money .
    my account was up to date with them when i closed it .
    always money in my bank so the refusal was,nt over no money in account
    biggish company so i have ruled out a scam
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Did the company know you were stopping the DD?Did you put it in writing to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Two questions. Did you cancel your account in writing with the company, and did they ever respond? Did you cancel the direct debit with the bank too, in writing? Actually that's three, but still.

If you didn't cancel the direct debit with the bank, then technically the company can come back and charge more at any time. If you did cancel it with the bank, then the bank should have refused it and not charged you anything. If this is the case, then try and get through to someone who knows what they're doing, the manager for example, though they don't always know what's going on either. Failing that, go above the branch to the bank's head office.

As for the company charging the direct debit, I wouldn't rule out incompetence and laziness on their part too. Some companies have a habit of coming back, months after an account is closed, and reinstate old direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

this can be the case as most people trust the Direct Debit scheme and will not notice the extra payment and then when they do notice it can be so hard to sort the mess out most people just throw their hat at it and allow the company to keep the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

i did,nt notifiy my bank that the direct debit was no longer active ,lazyness on my part .when i did finish with the company it was in person and reciepts as to full payment of account were given .i just took it as read that this was the end of the whole matter till i checked my bank account yesterday .
    update
    i did ring and try to get a manager /owner but got the same old sh1te ,then i sent off an email and still am waiting for a reply .
    got a phone call yesterday evening from a rather sheepish guy (probably the same "i could,nt give a fork" i was talking to in my first call )he said that my account had been mixed up with someone elses and the money would be put back in my account today .
    i asked about the two bank charges and he had,nt a clue (ehhh hold on till i find out ) and came back with "yeh they will be put in aswell " .
    so i will check my account today and if i dont get a full reinburstment i will be back on the phone or better still call in in person and give them the riot act .
    btw
    the excuse was that a member of staff who no longer works there messed up all the accounts .
    well judging by the one i got on the phone the new is,nt any better
    they didnt even give me an apology

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this can be the case as most people trust the Direct Debit scheme and will not notice the extra payment and then when they do notice it can be so hard to sort the mess out most people just throw their hat at it and allow the company to keep the payment.
    oh believe you me foggy i will not let this crowd off with one single cent of my money .i was with them for over a year and you would,nt believe the hassle all steming from their accounts department (four direct debit mandates all with the same account till they sorted it out ,money that should have been put into my account going missing )
    i pointed the out to the owner himself on numerous occasions how inapt they were but "peanuts and monkeys "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hotshots85 wrote: »
    i asked about the two bank charges and he had,nt a clue (ehhh hold on till i find out ) and came back with "yeh they will be put in aswell " .

I wouldn't believe that. The company will have no idea about what bank applied charges are on your account. Take this as being fud on their part, and be prepared to haunt them looking for the charges to be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

thats terrible what happened...hope you get sorted;)

Advertisement