Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for second undergraduate course?

• 21-07-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys,

I am going back to college as a mature student, to do an undergraduate course in Primary teaching, and am already a graduate in Computer Science. I rang my local council and was informed that I would not be eligible for any sort of grant(before thresholds, etc... are looked at) because I am not doing "further education" as it is another undergraduate course. I am going to apply for a postgrad(grad dip) in Education, starting in Feb, and was wondering if this would allow me to become eligible again, if I was lucky enough to get this?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Comments

Hi guys,

I am going back to college as a mature student, to do an undergraduate course in Primary teaching, and am already a graduate in Computer Science. I rang my local council and was informed that I would not be eligible for any sort of grant(before thresholds, etc... are looked at) because I am not doing "further education" as it is another undergraduate course. I am going to apply for a postgrad(grad dip) in Education, starting in Feb, and was wondering if this would allow me to become eligible again, if I was lucky enough to get this?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Hi Pat,

There's a section in the grant regulations (for last year, this year's ones still aren't out yet) which says the following:
    For the purposes of this clause postgraduate qualifications at Level 8 are deemed to be progression.

^^ From http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN

I believe (from here) that your postgrad dip would indeed be covered under the grant system based on the above line from the regulations, and that it's your first time doing it, so it would be worth having a nice chat with the Council about it to see what they say :)

Hope this help!

Dónal / Myth

Advertisement