Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board / Roof Racks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Could be just the make of my car vw golf '97. Any motor shop I enquired in they told me that there was no rack possible for that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    ahh, come on now, you don't want to be strapping fibreglass boards to a hard surface like that.

Will prob dent your roof, and damage the boards.

Maybe.
    I don't know what is the difference in the strap on a soft rack? Does that not put same pressure on the boards? Boards are in padded bags so I can't see how they will get damaged.
    The roof, yeah, as I presume the soft racks have pads for protection? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

well the curve of your car is probably not the same as the curve on your boards.
    So you need something to take the pressure, or else it won't go tight.
    It will probably either be the boards bending or the roof bending to make up the difference, or the straps being loose.
    A soft rack will squash down to accomodate that.

Get a hard roofrack if you can, much better and no leaks.

my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

i can get a hard rack €120 does this sound good??do i then have to buy straps for the board?? how much would they cost?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

elainee wrote: »
    i can get a hard rack €120 does this sound good??do i then have to buy straps for the board?? how much would they cost?:rolleyes:

120 Sounds good - it'd be hard toget a rack for less - where are you getting them from - what make - will the shop fit them - excchage if not the right ones etc....

You should get suitable strappage for €10 to €20. And if you need those circular foma thingys you can use pipe insulator foam - which if you went to the right skip you could find a couple of lengths being thrown out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

a car parts shop in bandon cork they said they will fit it there and then.so think i might do that it is comin in the car with me for the weekend anyway!!:p

Advertisement