Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Of Cairo Crash SNN 28/12/1946 - Research

Options
  • 21-07-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I am in the process of researching this crash in Shannon in Dec 1946 Lockheed L749 Star Of Cairo ex Orly Airport for SNN.

At the mpment I am researching news papers and hospital records in Limerick.

Looking for any pictures if they exist of the crash (can supply aircraft s/n later) - also any pictures of F/A Vina Ferguson who was quite the heroine of the piece.

Research will lead to a web site and /or book later this year.

FYI wreckage of the aircraft was lying above ground on Inis MacNaughton Island as recently as 1992 - now buried at least 12 feet down in a trench.

If you go to google maps you can see the scar of the burial not far from the causeway leading to the island. Causeway did not exist in 1946.

If there is anyone who can show me wreckage I would be very grateful (some skins were used in farmers shedding in the area).

Research also covers PAA 1948 crash Empress of The Skies, President Airways Sept 1961 and Alitalia DC-6.

Rgds and thanks,

Peter McGarry
    alchemy9@eircom.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

Hi Peter, on the off chance you have not found it allready

http://www.calclassic.com/

is a good place to go to, if you are intrested in the propliner era.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

To get to the US Government accident report for Star of Cairo

go to this site

http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/

select

historic aircraft accident reports

select

select the final entry in 1946 list

Transcontinental and Western Air

Best and Warm Regards