Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Heathrow - Dublin a Domestic flight?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I know that at Heathrow it is treated as domestic, but what about the other way around?

The reason I ask (and it is petty tbh) is that I was stopped from using the Business and Domestic channel this morning, for the first time since it opened.

Have I just been lucky thus far or should they have let me through. They assured me that domestic means the island of Ireland, but because of the CTA surely all of the UK and channel islands should be.

The two airports are doing my head in at the moment, too many people walking around without a clue what they are doing because it is the only time of the year they fly :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yea IRL-UK is domestic travel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you were forced down the international chanel then you'd be needing a passport, you don't need a passport for travel between UK/ Ireland so therefore it has to be a domestic flight. I have sometimes seen three channels at some UK airports before but they don't seem to bother with that anymore. Those being labeled something along the lines of 1) Domestic, 2)RoI, NI, Isle of Mann, Channel Islands and 3) International.

Where is this Business and Domestic channel in Dublin anyway, or are you landing somewhere other than piers A or D coming in from Heathrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

robinph wrote: »
    If you were forced down the international chanel then you'd be needing a passport, you don't need a passport for travel between UK/ Ireland so therefore it has to be a domestic flight. I have sometimes seen three channels at some UK airports before but they don't seem to bother with that anymore. Those being labeled something along the lines of 1) Domestic, 2)RoI, NI, Isle of Mann, Channel Islands and 3) International.

Where is this Business and Domestic channel in Dublin anyway, or are you landing somewhere other than piers A or D coming in from Heathrow?

It's actually getting through security at Dublin departures going to Heathrow, there is a Business/Domestic fast track at the right hand security gate. Having said that, if all passengers going to the UK went through I suppose it wouldn't be a fast track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yea IRL-UK is domestic travel

No it's not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's actually getting through security at Dublin departures going to Heathrow, there is a Business/Domestic fast track at the right hand security gate. Having said that, if all passengers going to the UK went through I suppose it wouldn't be a fast track!
    Ahh, never noticed that before. You sure that it's "Business/ Domestic" and not "Domestic Business" though?
    No it's not.

Yes it is, but what is your reason for saying it's not. The UK and Ireland have a shared international border with the rest of the world and free travel internally for citizens of either state.

• Advertisement

Ahh, never noticed that before. You sure that it's "Business/ Domestic" and not "Domestic Business" though?

Yes it is, but what is your reason for saying it's not. The UK and Ireland have a shared international border with the rest of the world and free travel internally for citizens of either state.

aah, it could be, I'll check next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

No it's not.

Technically it is

But for purposes of identity with airlines requiring a passport etc, it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I was stopped from using the Business and Domestic channel this morning, for the first time since it opened.
    If it was your first time being stopped you were just lucky sofar as its only intended for passengers flying within the island of Ireland or business class passengers.

It was introduced a number of years ago after an EU security audit caused a what can only be described as a nervous breakdown of the passenger security side of the Airport, leading to queues of over an hour at its height. As far as I know Aer Arann were amongst the hardest hit at the time as their domestic passengers switched to road/rail/.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0423/airport.html

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    If it was your first time being stopped you were just lucky sofar as its only intended for passengers flying within the island of Ireland or business class passengers.

It was introduced a number of years ago after an EU security audit caused a what can only be described as a nervous breakdown of the passenger security side of the Airport, leading to queues of over an hour at its height. As far as I know Aer Arann were amongst the hardest hit at the time as their domestic passengers switched to road/rail/.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0423/airport.html

Heaven forbid Aer Arann should have to compete with rail :rolleyes:

Better signage may be needed then. if it says "Domestic", then it should be all Domestic flights. If it is just irish flights, then it should say so.

anyway, I was on business, i just didn't have a business class ticket :P

Technically it is

But for purposes of identity with airlines requiring a passport etc, it is not.

Not too sure what you mean there.

Dub-Lhr is an international flight period.

The countries are in what is called a common travel area and the airlines may or may not request PP for ID.

That doesn't alter the fact that it is an international flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If it's only within Ireland, it would better be labelled "Internal"...

Better signage may be needed then. if it says "Domestic", then it should be all Domestic flights
    Its not the signs that are at fault here, how many millions of passengers pass through every year with no confusion.Heathrow is treated as part of the Common Travel Area. i know that until recently the section of LHR T1 with the Irish flights was signed as "Domestic and Republic of Ireland/Channel Islands". Anyway, since when did domestic = international. Heathrow is definetly not in the Irish jurisdiction!
    Heaven forbid Aer Arann should have to compete with rail
    They do, and sofar quite successfully it seems. As Aer Arann have become the DAA's third largest customer at the Airport, the DAA also have an interest in keeping the Aer Arann customers happy. Its just makes business sense at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I know that at Heathrow it is treated as domestic, but what about the other way around?

The reason I ask (and it is petty tbh) is that I was stopped from using the Business and Domestic channel this morning, for the first time since it opened.

Have I just been lucky thus far or should they have let me through. They assured me that domestic means the island of Ireland, but because of the CTA surely all of the UK and channel islands should be.

The two airports are doing my head in at the moment, too many people walking around without a clue what they are doing because it is the only time of the year they fly :(

Think you have been lucky up until now, is this line not also referred to as tranasfer and Business fast track? Am I right in thinking this area is right in the corner?

They have a common travel area by which both nations agree that PPs are not needed for travel the two countries.
    Inter= between
    National=nations, therefore international=between nations= the italics above.

Q.E D

Its not the signs that are at fault here, how many millions of passengers pass through every year with no confusion.Heathrow is treated as part of the Common Travel Area. i know that until recently the section of LHR T1 with the Irish flights was signed as "Domestic and Republic of Ireland/Channel Islands". Anyway, since when did domestic = international. Heathrow is definetly not in the Irish jurisdiction!

when was Belfast under Irish jurisdiction (Puts on tin hat and sits quietly in he corner:D)

its not an issue as far as I am concerned, obviously i have been lucky up to now.

I think you are right about Heathrow, can't say i take a lot of notice of the signs but it is usually referred to as Domestic departures/arrivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dublin a Domestic flight? .........Not any more once the UK authorities introduce photo ID and radio chipped ID cards as a is cumpulsory measure to travel into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In Gatwick, arrivals from Dublin are treated as domestic arrivals and on production of boarding card from Dublin, or any ROI airport, immigration controls are bypassed.

In Gatwick, arrivals from Dublin are treated as domestic arrivals and on production of boarding card from Dublin, or any ROI airport, immigration controls are bypassed.

Stansted is the same.

As is Bristol, and they very rarely even have anyone stood at arrivals at all for the Dublin flights. Maybe once out of the last 10 flights I've taken was there a copper around checking the occasional boarding card/ ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I don't think this has been a domestic flight since the 1920's :-)

It's treated as domestic because as pointed out we are both members of the Common Travel Area, upon arriving at LHR you do not have to show your passport , if you are arriving at DUB you go through passport control but all you do is show your boarding card .

T1 at LHR has recently been reorganised and now you go through the same departure area as all the others , then walk miles to get to the ' grey tubes '.

To be honest Fratton you ' got away with it ' up until now.

• Advertisement

when was Belfast under Irish jurisdiction (Puts on tin hat and sits quietly in he corner:D)

its not an issue as far as I am concerned, obviously i have been lucky up to now.

I think you are right about Heathrow, can't say i take a lot of notice of the signs but it is usually referred to as Domestic departures/arrivals.

Would you people ever READ what I write.

Dublin -London is an International flight. End of story.

They can call it what they like, treat it any way they like ,sign it whatever way they wish, refer to it as this or that, handle it anyway they want,lump it in with any other category,doesn't make one whit of difference.

It is a frikken International flight.

Did I make that clear:P

Would you people ever READ what I write.

Dublin -London is an International flight. End of story.

They can call it what they like, treat it any way they like ,sign it whatever way they wish, refer to it as this or that, handle it anyway they want,lump it in with any other category,doesn't make one whit of difference.

Did I make that clear:P

OK :eek:

(But why is Dublin - Belfast called domestic as far as the fast track goes but not Heathrow:p)

But why is Dublin - Belfast called domestic as far as the fast track goes but not Heathrow

Possibly the same reason that Belfast/Northern Irish Telephone numbers come up with a +353 prefix if they phone an Irish phone........... political convenience.

It is a flight between two different countries, but you there is not any border control, customs or immigration between the two states. A flight between Dublin-Heathrow is exactly the same as one between Heathrow-Glasgow. Therefore depending on the layout of different airports and where they happend to decide to park particular planes there will just direct any flights between the two countries to the domstic channels as having people go through an international queue will just result in extra delays and confusion.

Seems that that queue in Dublin though is just labeled wrong though and should have said "Business/ Aer Arran".

Seems that that queue in Dublin though is just labeled wrong though and should have said "Business/ Aer Arran".
    It shouldent be labeled business/Aer Arann as it excludes Aer Arann to Cardiff,Inverness and Isle of Man, but includes Ryanair's Cork and Kerry
    routes.
    (But why is Dublin - Belfast called domestic as far as the fast track goes but not Heathrowtongue.gif)
    Maybe because there are currently no flights between Dublin and Belfast.....just a thought:D

Maybe because there are currently no flights between Dublin and Belfast.....just a thought:D
    Something that I happened to notice on the AerLinugs site a couple of weeks ago. Quite apart from them not having Dublin as one of their top airports in the selection box when picking to select your flights ( and do they really have more flights from Jersey than Dublin? ), they must be one of the few national "flag" carriers that do not operate any internal flights within their own country. :confused:

It shouldent be labeled business/Aer Arann as it excludes Aer Arann to Cardiff,Inverness and Isle of Man, but includes Ryanair's Cork and Kerry
    routes.

aer Arann, waste of space, can't even fly to the island's second city:rolleyes: :D

aer Arann, waste of space, can't even fly to the island's second cityrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
    They do, but from the southern Capital, Cork:D

Arann did try Dublin- Belfast City several years ago but the passenger numbers never materialised.
    they must be one of the few national "flag" carriers that do not operate any internal flights within their own country.

There are still a couple of A330 flights on Aer Lingus from DUB-SNN before they route to the US....sure beats an ATR for a 30 minute domestic flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I, if you are arriving at DUB you go through passport control but all you do is show your boarding card .

They still ask for photo id at Dub passport control well some officials do, which really does cause a back up.

• Advertisement

They still ask for photo id at Dub passport control well some officials do, which really does cause a back up.

I used to take real pleasure in NOT showing my passport when flying between London and Dublin, but to be honest have become jaded and just show it now.

Advertisement