Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Baby High Chair

Options
  • 21-07-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

We are looking to purchase a High Chair for our daughter – any tips / recommendations?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Forget the flouncy, pretty bits and useless bells & whistles

For every one you look at try and imagine yourself scrubbing off porridge, mashed potato and spilt milk; if it can't be done easily - move on!

I had a similar chair to this (but even simpler); the entire seat came out and could be rinsed off under the tap - joy! :)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00069725

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

We got one that straps to a normal kitch chair. The good things about this are
    1) Its very portable
    2) Doesn't take up additonal space in the kitchen
    3) Can be used without the tray when the child is older so that they are at the right height to eat at the kitchen table
    4) When the child grows out of it, it doesn't take up much room in storage

Only downside I can think of is that its probably a bit lower than a standalone highchair.

We got it in either Smyths or Argos. Its coloured blue, red and green I think, with a yellow tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Kildrought wrote: »
    For every one you look at try and imagine yourself scrubbing off porridge, mashed potato and spilt milk; if it can't be done easily - move on!

God yeah, porridge is a curse. And don't forget about vomit :). A must for rinsing under the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BlackAvon08

Has anyone used a high chair with reclining feature for naps??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Stokke Tripp Trapp is IMHO the best chair going,not only is it almost infinitely adjustable for growing babies but after they don't need a high chair it becomes a seat for adults as well.
    Hard to beat IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

High chairs shouldn't really be used for naps imho, unless theres a good enough reason. Think of the material being wipe clean, and the heat this would build up on a baby as it sleeps with sweating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

No not a great idea to let your child sleep in a high chair, +1 everything Delly said and then Not comfortable for them either.. Just use your cot or buggy for naps:).

Buy Something that is easy to clean and has a good safety harness on it. My one you can adjust the height on it.. so the baby can be low or high.. they have a good selection in mothercare..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

bazwaldo wrote: »
    1) Its very portable
    3) Can be used without the tray when the child is older so that they are at the right height to eat at the kitchen table

Only downside I can think of is that its probably a bit lower than a standalone highchair.

We got it in either Smyths or Argos. Its coloured blue, red and green I think, with a yellow tray.

I had a regular highchair and they do take up a fair bit of space, also as the legs come out at an angle it's easy enough to trip on them. I got a couple of these portable ones and they're much better. Also they fold in and are small and handy to take with you if you're going to stay with relations or out to a restaurant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bazwaldo wrote: »
    1) Its very portable

We got this one in Smyths: http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=product&pid=27475

Cheap and does the job nicely. It's all plastic so very easy to clean, which is something that can't be over-emphasised in a high chair. It collapses down into a plastic box for travelling which is handy when going down to my parents place with him (they don't need to buy a high chair for their place). We're also in an apartment so space is at a premium. It converts into a standard booster chair for an older toddler before they can reach the table comfortably from a normal chair.

If you have a lot of space and price isn't much of a barrier, the big high chairs are nice and a bigger tray can be handy for feeding toddlers. I would definitely not get one for naps though. A cot is a better option for naps in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Stokke Tripp Trapp is IMHO the best chair going,not only is it almost infinitely adjustable for growing babies but after they don't need a high chair it becomes a seat for adults as well.
    Hard to beat IMO

+1

main downside is they are expensive, but as mentioned they adjust for all ages and eventually can be used as an adult chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hard to beat IMO
    loyatemu wrote: »
    +1

main downside is they are expensive, but as mentioned they adjust for all ages and eventually can be used as an adult chair.

100% agree with this. They are a slightly on the expensive but they last forever, and i would thing the resale value should be pretty good too as they're good solid furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

We got one that clips onto the table like this:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Chicco_Pratique_Table_Seat__5345376

It's very handy, not so bulky and it's nice having babs at the table with us! Also good for taking on holidays.

Ours was actually plastic rather than fabric which makes it easier to clean but I can't find the link :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I don't have any brandnames for you but with my first two kids with had a wooden one that converted into a little table and chair that they ate at (or drew pictures on) when they got older. With the youngest fella I got a really cheap, brightly coloured plastic one in Smyths (can't remember the brand name but have seem them used in restaurants a lot). It was so much easier to clean and took up far less space. You could adjust the height on it too so when he got a bit older we took the table part off and he could sit into our kitchen table. Only put it away a few months ago and he's 4 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I have the boori one and i love it. It folds almost flat and is easy to clean. Comes in different types of woods i think so you can probably get something to fit in with your home.

Advertisement