Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does the talent come along :D

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I am getting all types of annoying singers and musicians and I just wish the day would come when I get some ****%% talent! Need to get some talent!

At least I get paid for the work but I am sure plenty of folk when they started off had to record music they hated or lets say disliked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

dav nagle wrote: »

I am getting all types of annoying singers and musicians and I just wish the day would come when I get some ****%% talent! Need to get some talent!

At least I get paid for the work but I am sure plenty of folk when they started off had to record music they hated or lets say disliked?

Be grateful you are getting paid. Also people have to start somewhere, talent is developed nobody is born with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Sunn wrote: »
    Be grateful you are getting paid. Also people have to start somewhere, talent is developed nobody is born with it.

I do sound slightly ungrateful but honestly I am not meaning to sound offensive in any way. Talent does have to be developed you are right :)

I do sound slightly ungrateful but honestly I am not meaning to sound offensive in any way. Talent does have to be developed you are right :)

finally...vindication from someone on the internet...FINALLY.

on another note a mate of mine does what you do. Seems in order to make money you need to take the rough with the smooth,

I assume you record a mix local bands etc.

finally...vindication from someone on the internet...FINALLY.

on another note a mate of mine does what you do. Seems in order to make money you need to take the rough with the smooth,

I assume you record a mix local bands etc.

Yeah I record peoples music, mainly songwriters at the moment, who have everything but drums ready to put down. I often deal with people freshly born into the music business. I break them in by explaining the ins and outs usually. I really enjoy pulling dirty eq's out of a vocal or guitar and I am really starting to better understand all the internals of compression. I have been learning 'free style' and making lots of mistakes that have cost me countless hours remixing. I mix allot better when people explain to me exactly what their expectations are. Therefore, often I find myself tailoring a mix to suite the client which is fine but had they have told me what they want in the first place I wouldn't have waisted 6 + hours. So thats why I posted this thread. I said to Studio rat one time 'as much as I enjoy the work, it has been really a hard slog in my 20's'. I envisioned bigger, better recording scenarios. I am only 27 and well on my way up the slow dirty rusty ladder but I get frustrated, often with myself (no **** jokes lads) when I learn something new and then realize I should have known that or lets say understood that years ago. I agree with whoever posted that thread recently. They said they would have preferred to study sound when they knew what they know now. What do you do yourself tiger?

I am only 27 and well on my way up the slow dirty rusty ladder but I get frustrated, often with myself (no **** jokes lads) when I learn something new and then realize I should have known that or lets say understood that years ago. I agree with whoever posted that thread recently. They said they would have preferred to study sound when they knew what they know now. What do you do yourself tiger?

A common problem really. I make music so its slightly different in terms of aims and ambitions and even work but its all relative. The frustration at not been where you want or see yourself (a year ago today i said I would be doing this yet it doesnt feel like i am moving fast enough).

The learning aspect is odd I think as sometimes you can plod along without thinking you've learned anything and then do something that was a combination of small things in earlier projects which led you to that conclusion.

Its a good battle really and patience is the key ...

• Advertisement

A common problem really. I make music so its slightly different in terms of aims and ambitions and even work but its all relative. The frustration at not been where you want or see yourself (a year ago today i said I would be doing this yet it doesn't feel like i am moving fast enough).

The learning aspect is odd I think as sometimes you can plod along without thinking you've learned anything and then do something that was a combination of small things in earlier projects which led you to that conclusion.

Its a good battle really and patience is the key ...

This thread makes me 'moan-bag of the week' here on boards! Yes I take your points +1

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

It's not such a bad thing Dav. With every client, talent or no talent, you're developing your skills, so when the talent does walk through the door you'll be ready to do him/her justice. That's the way I see it anyway.

Like a trainee surgeon operating on spare body parts.

"When do I get to cut up a REAL person?!" :pac:

Something like that anyway... ;)

It's not such a bad thing Dav. With every client, talent or no talent, you're developing your skills, so when the talent does walk through the door you'll be ready to do him/her justice. That's the way I see it anyway.

Like a trainee surgeon operating on spare body parts.

"When do I get to cut up a REAL person?!" :pac:

Something like that anyway... ;)

Hey Niall, nice to hear from you , +2 for surgery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If I found a songwriter and singer who was good as me I'd love to record them. :P

frobisher wrote: »
    If I found a songwriter and singer who was good as me I'd love to record them. :P

I think you have been drinking too much black rum lately :eek:

• Advertisement

Black_Rum.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Black_Rum.gif

Black rum is like cocaine. There's no such thing as too much, only not enough. :D

Black rum is like cocaine. There's no such thing as too much, only not enough. :D

mmmmmmm rum and coke :)

Rum doesn't have the same crazy kick as whiskey so yes its a safe bet +3

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

It's all about Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.
    Oh Captain my Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

firstly... yum to the rum... ;) im part of the rum luvers myself...

Second i have talent :) just not famous and all ( yet)

firstly... yum to the rum... ;) im part of the rum luvers myself...

Second i have talent :) just not famous and all ( yet)

Cool I'll book you in so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cool I'll book you in so!:D

i might not be too far behind either....

Optimism, right!:D

and i do agree. There is a serious lack of talent and good bands in this country. Its all the same recycled crap over and over again... Every band/musician trying to take the easy way through. Forgetting artistic innovation.

i might not be too far behind either....

Optimism, right!:D

and i do agree. There is a serious lack of talent and good bands in this country. Its all the same recycled crap over and over again...

Its slow, its painful but were getting there :)

Heres a toast optimism! More black rum please!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

well, here is something to think about -
    and im not saying this to be smart.

you get the level of talent to record that you deserve .

yes , its true .

as you become better and get better gear etc,
    the better talent comes to you .
    you reap what you sow , etc

if you were a young george martin with a 4 track getting amazing results , every talent in the country would be looking to record with you .

its the same in anything , and musicians - you play at the level you deserve

if you choose to work hard every spare moment to improve , then better people come along - if you dont then you stagnate.

that aside , there is a pool of people who should not be let near an instrument , with lots of cash - but thats always the case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

DaDumTish wrote: »
    that aside , there is a pool of people who should not be let near an instrument .
    unfortunately there seems to be a higher proportion of Irish people that fit into this category than anywhere else.

dav, even if you were recording some more well known bands, you'd still be dealing mainly with material you don't particularly like (unless your taste is sh1te imo).

I mean can you imagine spending all the effort and time to make 'boring irish indie band no. 677' sound more interesting and less annoying than they are!

Ah maybe i'm being too harsh. but it is something you have to think about.

• Advertisement

I agree with the last 2 posters.

Post 1 from DaDumTish:

Yes you do play at the level you deserve. When I posted this thread I was utterly frustrated with a singer/songwriter mix I was doing. 'I want that, no I want that instead' kind of spoilt **** I had to put up with, so I posted this thread in that type of mood, not my normal ultra slick and laid back mood. I have had more business this year than any other but I am still learning my trade. For example, when people used to come to me for a session I would collect cash at the end of the project. Then the 'well I taught it was only 2 hours' **** starts happening and you lose money. I wised up and now charge an hourly rate and you pay on the day. No messing about. You learn this stuff on the street as opposed to college. Also, you have to be confident and know what you are worth and what not.

To master jtsuited,

Yes Indie bands would definitely kill me, there is way too much indie stuff in Ireland, especially where I am from just near Castleknock/Navan Rd area. ****ing stone roses this and you know the story..

I just want to have more all the time, in many ways I am just far too ahead of myself, I want this and I am going to do that yadda yadda when the reality I have to grow at a natural pace and be happy I am where I am...

I am recording 2 good bands at the moment. Just as I was about to jump out the window they called me, phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Im lucky to be working with some cool guys at the minute. Its a refreshing break from some of the rubbish im use to!

sei046 wrote: »
    Im lucky to be working with some cool guys at the minute. Its a refreshing break from some of the rubbish im use to!

Happy days my friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cdutd

you can't dig a new hole by digging the same hole deeper.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

if you're not content with waiting for it to show up on your doorstep you have to scout for talent yourself.

get out and go to more gigs in the city, find someone you believe in. if there's really nobody out there then you either need to move or at least stop worrying about when they're going to turn up.

online there's ton of self-released stuff, put in the donkeywork, find stuff you like and have a clear vision of what you could bring to the material. then make the approach yourself. serious bands (and you should have already weeded out everything but) will respond positively to an approach from someone who appreciates what they're doing, especially un-jaded engineers, even if they weren't thinking of recording at the moment, don't think they have the money etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Well,,, the way you get talent is you go out and look for it and hope you get lucky.

In the Vanity recording business, that most people making (small amounts) of money are in. What walks through your door, is invariably going to be ****. but **** with dreams and a little money.

If you want talent, you're going to have to work for it,,, and that's how you will make you name,,, You're going to have to dig your hands in the pig **** to find a pearl.

Sinead O Connor, when she was 14, could sing into a toy microphone to a crap c60 tape and create in a short 3 minutes something that would blow away millions of hours of vanity studio time.

Musicians and singers who make your head shift a gear when you hear them are very very rare..... "Musicians" and "singers" with some money for your project -- are pretty common ,,, and the effect is the Aural and Emotional equivalent of dishwater. (welcome to hell)

The Eq could be perfect,, The recording could be crisp and clear ,,, but if it doesn't have the magic.

it doesn't have the magic.

Learn how to tune into true talent.. You can miss it by not having your head in the right place....(by being a head up your own ass asshole)..........But when you are in the presence of true talent and you realise it,, you'll feel electricity shooting through your spine. But if you don't deserve it,, you will always miss it and it will never come to you.

You never know

Someday you could get really lucky,,,, and find

The next Chris De Burgh

but don't expect to get paid ,, until you get that dude to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

krd wrote: »
    ....(by being a head up your own ass asshole)..........etc..

...but don't expect to get paid ,, until you get that dude to the other side.

Go to bed!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

krd wrote: »
    Well,,, the way you get talent is you go out and look for it and hope you get lucky.

In the Vanity recording business, that most people making (small amounts) of money are in. What walks through your door, is invariably going to be ****. but **** with dreams and a little money.

If you want talent, you're going to have to work for it,,, and that's how you will make you name,,, You're going to have to dig your hands in the pig **** to find a pearl.

Sinead O Connor, when she was 14, could sing into a toy microphone to a crap c60 tape and create in a short 3 minutes something that would blow away millions of hours of vanity studio time.

Musicians and singers who make your head shift a gear when you hear them are very very rare..... "Musicians" and "singers" with some money for your project -- are pretty common ,,, and the effect is the Aural and Emotional equivalent of dishwater. (welcome to hell)

The Eq could be perfect,, The recording could be crisp and clear ,,, but if it doesn't have the magic.

it doesn't have the magic.

Learn how to tune into true talent.. You can miss it by not having your head in the right place....(by being a head up your own ass asshole)..........But when you are in the presence of true talent and you realise it,, you'll feel electricity shooting through your spine. But if you don't deserve it,, you will always miss it and it will never come to you.

You never know

Someday you could get really lucky,,,, and find

The next Chris De Burgh

but don't expect to get paid ,, until you get that dude to the other side.

Nice post +7

I like that post I do :)

• Advertisement

ICN wrote: »
    Go to bed!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

+7

I like that response also :)

Advertisement