Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile broadband + XP PC + Wireless Router enough for XBox Live???

• 21-07-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi,

Now that I have an XBox 360 I need to know if I can get onto XBox Live with the following configuration:

O2 wireless broadband dongle....
    connected to XP (SP2) PC in attic (which has a wireless card)...
    which connects to wireless router downstairs...
    which is connected to XBox360 via ethernet cable....

The manual seems a bit sketchy on this. In theory I'd say (or would like to think) this is possible. But I'd like to know before I go the route of O2 broadband. Anyone doing this, or similar, with a wireless broadband card on their PC?

Or do I need to go digiweb fixed wireless, connection coming in to wireless router, and xbox 360 connected via ethernet cable or an additional wireless networking adaptor?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Just spotted this thread - so it seems it's possible?

Mods - feel free to merge threads if convenient...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It might work but multiplayer is going to SUCK on any mobile broadband product. 3G/HSDPA cards usually produce very high ping times which will make games feel very laggy.

Yeah, well I'm not going to be mad into online gaming, more downloading demos or arcade games and stuff... I'd just like to know if anyone is using this same setup.

If even casual online stuff is a real PITA with mobile BB then I guess I'll have to discount O2/Three and go with fixed wireless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Stephen - gotta disagree. This seems to be a common misconception. I'm using mobile broadband, and it's perfect.

Well, I've got O2 bb, tried to set things up tonight, but only got as far as the DNS test on the Xbox. It recognises it has an IP but still fails DNS. I can't quite get my head around network setups, network sharing etc. at this late hour so will look at it another evening. If anyone has any straight-forward tips or links to basic tutorials (not the xbox official site!) let me know.

Or I could try the help-line (has anyone found this to be actually helpful?)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm using Digiweb's Mobile Broadband, and it works perfectly fine for gaming - on PC or the 360 [the 360's connected to it via wireless adapter].

For gaming I get a ping of 40-60, and my download rate's 150-200+ kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm using Digiweb's Mobile Broadband, and it works perfectly fine for gaming - on PC or the 360 [the 360's connected to it via wireless adapter].

For gaming I get a ping of 40-60, and my download rate's 150-200+ kb/s

Is this the same thing?

I think the posters are talking about O2, Vodafone etc mobile modem (i.e. you can bring the modem around the country with you logging in anywhere)

Do Digiweb do something similar?

or are you confusing mobile broadband and wireless broadband?

I'm talking about O2 (mobile) broadband, yes.

Found this page this morning
    which talks about flashing your Linksys router so it acts like a wireless bridge... not sure if this is the route I want/need to go down.
    What this does is make it act like a normal PC connecting to your network, wirelessly, so you don’t have to shell out cash for wireless ethernet cards. In my new house I use my Linksys Wireless WRT54G router to connect my Xbox 360 and my main PC to our wireless router in the other room so I can have internet access without dragging wires everywhere or shelling out $150 for a wireless adapter for my Xbox and one for my PC.

Sounds like it might be the droid I'm looking for! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I'm not sure that setup will work, at least not the way you want it to. Can't read the link there, seems to be dead, but flashing the router is pretty risky and not guaranteed to work.

The poster in the other thread is not using a router, his xbox is connected directly to the ethernet port on his laptop with Internet Connection Sharing turned on - this setup works fine. But if you put a router between your xbox and your pc I don't think it will work. Your xbox will think the router is the gateway for the net when its actually your pc thats the gateway.

Your gonna have to find a way to connect your xbox directly to your PC. If they're too far away from each other to connect them you could try using one of those network adapters that plug in to a power socket (it basically routes your ethernet signal through the electrical wiring).

As for the speed, I found it fine around 90% of the time, lagged occasionally.

Eek, the link IS down. Hmm. Must be a sign that I shouldn't go fooling about with my router.

If that sounded wrong, I apologise :)

Thanks mika.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Riskymove wrote: »
    Is this the same thing?

I think the posters are talking about O2, Vodafone etc mobile modem (i.e. you can bring the modem around the country with you logging in anywhere)

Do Digiweb do something similar?

or are you confusing mobile broadband and wireless broadband?

Yes, Mobile broadband - though it uses different technology compared to what O2 / Vodaphone uses. I live deep countryside along the borders of Dublin and Meath and it works perfectly fine, though the odd times it tends to drop in performance.

LINK. I'm using the Multi package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

interesting.....but its only in Fingal?

not really that mobile then

Advertisement