Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get NTL, what are my options?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Has to be digital or mobile. Whois the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

what do you mean by digital? Mobile internet is generally poor , you cant game or skype with it. By digital you mean wireless or?

What about dsl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

nuxxx wrote: »
    what do you mean by digital? Mobile internet is generally poor , you cant game or skype with it. By digital you mean wireless or?

What about dsl?

Cable or such, just nothing with a phone line.

you just said you cant get ntl? im confused by this thread.

ntp/upc is cable technology

regarding 3G , o2 is possibly the best service, vodafone i found to be very good but theres a 5 gig cap per month

avoid 3 , you cant even call them a service.

Can you use a router for the mobile services? Basically 4 of us want to use broadband. I don't wanna go back to IBB if they are still going. What else is there?

dude dont even think about sharing mobile internet with 4 people.....

Even if your gona use it alone, the chances are its gona be shoddy as hell with max 1 mb download sleeps at peak times.

4 people sharing that unreliable signal would just be impossible, dont mean to burst your bubble but your wasting your time.

• Advertisement

Has ripwave gotten decent?

absolutley not
    iv tested it as recently as 2 weeks ago, in dublin! and couldnt get a signal , well i could , but pages wouldnt load :)

Can you get digiweb metro or something similar? Where abouts are you living.

Chapelizard, D20... 10 mins outside town ffs! Don't wanna pay eircom a cent.

Cheers for this btw dude. What's ripwave like? I think I can also get them. Says 3mb's but I would be happy enough if I got at least 1mb. Will be used mainly for browsing and streaming. No gaming or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look for a mast. Direct line of sight between you and the mast, wireless internet thing will be OK. Tree/house/road sign in the way, you won't get jack sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Ripwave doesn't have a 3m option. You must be thinking bout breeze

DONT get ripwave
    DONT get clearwire
    there both horrible useless services

Also as your mentioned your sharing your connection with 4 people and want it for streaming and browsing, for that reason alone i cannot recommend any of the mobile internet operates.

i would STRONGLY advise you to , to at least consider IBB Breeze 3mb up/down, since you cant get a phoneline and dont want cable this is your only _decent_ option.

Sorry I meant to say what's Digiweb like. I want Cable but NTL can't offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

nuxxx wrote: »
    i would STRONGLY advise you to , to at least consider IBB Breeze 3mb up/down, since you cant get a phoneline and dont want cable this is your only _decent_ option.
    What's IBB Breeze?

I can vouch for the "Dont get Clearwire" camp. I've seen broadband suck before but those guys are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

RasTa wrote: »
    Sorry I meant to say what's Digiweb like.

Metro is a very good service. Cap is strictly enforced, so with 4 sharing, you'll have to keep an eye on it.
    RasTa wrote: »
    I want Cable but NTL can't offer it.

Then you won't be getting cable.
    niallk wrote: »
    What's IBB Breeze?

A fixed wireless service, needs line of sight to the mast. Very mixed reviews and opinions. IBB have been bought by Imagine now, something to consider.

+1 on avoiding Clearwire too, also avoid Ripwave, especially for sharing.

You also say you want to avoid a phoneline just so as not to pay eircom anything. Fair enough but you might be cutting off your own nose there. If Metro or Breeze aren't available, or suitable, then you may have no other choice (other than nothing at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Judee

I got o2 broadband a couple of days ago and I have to say I'm more than happy with it so far - skype calls work, sound is perfect, video ok, youtube works perfectly.
    I got the E270 modem, had to get a 5m usb cable as the best singnal is at the window.
    So so far I could recommend it if you don't want a landline.

Advertisement