Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking Three broadband modem

• 21-07-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm just out of contract with the Three USB modem and i'm finishing with them.
    Can i just ask them for an unlock code for the modem now?
    Or can i expect resistance.
    And if so do they have any right to refuse it.

2. I'm thinking of giving the modem to someone else for them to use with some kinda Three prepay sim.
    Are prepay broadband sims sold separately?
    Otherwise a prepay mobile sim with a 1gb (10 euro) addon should work in it, shouldn't it.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I tried ages ago to get an unlock code but failed, I guess it's only the software that needs to be changed if your moving to 02 or 02...no sure if It can be flashed or how to go about it...

If who ever your giving it to is using a 3 sim card there's no need to get it unlocked as long as there going to be staying on the 3 network...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

I tried ages ago to get an unlock code but failed, I guess it's only the software that needs to be changed if your moving to 02 or 02...no sure if It can be flashed or how to go about it...

If who ever your giving it to is using a 3 sim card there's no need to get it unlocked as long as there going to be staying on the 3 network...

Thanks.
    Were you out of contract when you asked to unlock it?

So a Three prepay sim (mobile or broadband sim) should work in it anyway, should it?

I tried there with a Three prepay mobile sim in it and got through to the Three addon page (so maybe it does work).
    Got the option of buying either the 1gb mobile internet addon or the Broadband addons- can these also be applied to a Three prepay mobile sim?
    The addon service is down at the moment though.

Also i gather buying Three prepay mobile/broadband addons from a handset has to be from a Three handset, does it.
    Doesn't seem to work when you ring the 083 3333333 number.
    (the person i want to give the modem to wouldn't have a Three handset).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

If it's to use with another Three (IRL) SIM, "some kinda" or otherwise then there is no need to have it unlocked (though I'd like to know to know the answer to this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moving network though like o2, they are going to provide a modem, i don't think you can get the service without buying the modem

davton wrote: »
    Moving network though like o2, they are going to provide a modem, i don't think you can get the service without buying the modem

You can have up to a 10 gig add-on on your voice SIM. However the real value is being able to use other countries' SIMs in their countries in the modem to avoid paying massive roaming charges where for example 3 Like Home is not available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mkennedy wrote: »
    Also i gather buying Three prepay mobile/broadband addons from a handset has to be from a Three handset, does it.
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I have a UK huawei e220 modem (Im using a UK PAYG sim) i would love to get my modem unlocked so i can purchase a IRL three sim to use in it. Ive tried a IRL three sim and it wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

snaps wrote: »
    I have a UK huawei e220 modem (Im using a UK PAYG sim) i would love to get my modem unlocked so i can purchase a IRL three sim to use in it. Ive tried a IRL three sim and it wont work.

I wonder what would happen if you updated your UK modem with the Irish Drivers....?? Could it work?

I haven't tried this so don't blame me if the e220 starts smoking...

http://www.three.ie/broadband/drivers.htm

I wonder what would happen if you updated your UK modem with the Irish Drivers....?? Could it work?

I haven't tried this so don't blame me if the e220 starts smoking...

http://www.three.ie/broadband/drivers.htm

Fraid not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No mate, it was one of the 1st things i tried, It doesnt work.

Even three say it cant be done which is strange. Im sure its something simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Unlock / Unbrand your Huawei E220

1 Download this

2 Visit here

2a Download this

3 Visit here

3a Download this

Upgrrade the modem software with 3a
    Replace the 3 dashboard with 1
    Unlock with 2a with credits from 2

Worked for me!

Alternative unlock method
    If you can get a six to eight digit unlocking code from the network, then use this software to enter the unlcock code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b21

Just rang three as I'm finished/cancelling my modem contract. Customer rep there said "I'm afraid we don't have provision for unlocking modems yet". "Thank You".

b21 wrote: »
    Just rang three as I'm finished/cancelling my modem contract. Customer rep there said "I'm afraid we don't have provision for unlocking modems yet". "Thank You".

http://www.nextgenserver.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

culabula wrote: »

I'm afraid I tried them last Monday and, using three separate 3V visa vouchers, the order was still declined. Contacted their customer support and, 15 hours later, no response. Zilch. Am cancelling my order and going with DC -Unlocker. These guys, or else Google Checkout, are serious muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yanogore

Hi, I have a 3g modem from o2 (unlocked) if i'd poped in 3g prepay sim card would it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP - there's an unlocking query above which I reckon covers this topic for you. You've got your answers on the thread now anyway.

yanogore - If the modem is locked to O2 then only O2 SIM cards will work in it.

I'm closing this thread now.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement