Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dose anyone bother robbing car stereo head units any more?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I can remember back in the 80ies one couldn't leave a decent car stereo head unit such as a pioneer or Clarion out of their sight. False fronts were available to hide and make them look like cheap units, then they brought out the removable unit, then the removable front. I have a top end system in the van for four years and touch wood hasn't been robbed yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes they do, there is still a market for cheapish second hand decent head units with no questions asked where it came from. Similar thing with alloy wheels. If they can make quick money from it they will attempt to steal it.

Car security has vastly improved since the 80s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Dicks robbed my stereo in Jan 07, costed 450e year before.

Robbed outside the house, while staying at my parents house over Christmas time.

Prof job though. 10 cars broken into that night in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Back in 2001 we had an old nissan bluebird sitting in the drive for years, someone came in and tried to nick the stereo out of it lol. Absolutely worthless (original) stereo cassete deck from 1987'. Why they went to the trouble is beyond me...They could not get it out.

I dont remove the fascia of my cd player anymore, I use to but it's just a cheap goodmans cd/mp3 yoke I would not bother since it is worthless.
    Would get maybe 30 quid on the second hand market for it. Hardly worth
    taking the risk for that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In September 2006 my parents had their radio nicked from a 99 Opel Corsa. They bent the door frame back to get into the car!

Most likely some junkie tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Yep widely happens,id hazard a guess at even more so now with alot of pop out screen/dvd players that dont actually have any security features ie coded or removable panel making them easier to take and worth a few quid too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I had one of those aftermarket cdplayer adapters that you plug into the tape deck. Somebody broke into my car through the passanger window to get it. it was only 10 quid in Argos and it didnt work because the latch keeping it closed was broken, they even left the cd that was in it on the seat. New window cost me 60 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Sat navs are the new target.
    Half decent radios don't cost what they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Surely the main reason it doesn't happen so much now is cos most cars now have manufacturer-specific radios fitted, which will only fit into the dash of another car of same model/year. Gone are the days of Sony/Pioneer stereos in new cars.
    Lots of cars even have separate displays, so the radio is useless on its own.
    To get the radio out of a current Golf is easier said than done... most of the centre console has to come out first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

mondeo wrote: »

I dont remove the fascia of my cd player anymore, I use to but it's just a cheap goodmans cd/mp3 yoke I would not bother since it is worthless.
    Would get maybe 30 quid on the second hand market for it. .

Yes, but it is worth the effort to save having the window smashed in or the locks mangled with a screwdriver, to get at the cheapo head unit! Believe me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Bottom has sorta dropped out of the market lately and its hard to make a living at it any more. We're now petitioning the govt to help out some of us who have fallen on particularly hard times but as usual they are turning a deaf ear to the needy.
    Still doing OK myself though, but have moved into a more niche market of working to order.
    Are you looking for anything in particular.
    24hrs delivery service, no questions asked.
    PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement