Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lotus elise and insurance

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all , I called a few places to get a quote for this today

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lotus/Elise/car/924340/

but no one will quote me ,
    I'm 22 , and asked for a quote with a full licence ( my test is coming up soon)
    its only worth 11 grand , and its only a 1.8 , I was told they could quote me for a 2.0ltr focus if I wanted but not that.

Does anyone know where I could get a quote for this car ,
    so far tried axa, quinn, and hibernian.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Hi there, by law, you need to request five 'letters of declinature' from each insurance company that decline to quote, then legally, you are entitled to a quote from an insurance company on presentation of these letters, I also know a broker and insurer that would definately quote you, but I don't think I can post their names on the site so PM me and I'll tell you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

thanks very much , pm will be sent shortly. has always been a bit of a dream car for me

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

daauneal wrote: »
    Hi all , I called a few places to get a quote for this today

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lotus/Elise/car/924340/

but no one will quote me ,
    its only worth 11 grand , and its only a 1.8 , I was told they could quote me for a 2.0ltr focus if I wanted but not that.

Thanks in advance

Sorry op, but I'd be very surprised if you got a quote. If you have an exisiting policy, the insurer is obliged to quote you - but they can quote you telephone numbers if they like.

As you know, I don't think that the '1.8' part is the problem here...

I'd get your test, get insured for a year or two in something more sedate, then have a look at something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

what is it with lotus today, btw?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

you are 22 on a provisional license and are looking to get insured on a Lotus Elise, you are comparing the 1.8L elise to a 2.0L focus. Either you have no concept of power to weight ratio or are dreaming.

no insurance company in their right mind will quote you anything reasonable on this car .. even if you do force a quote you will be looking at paying somewhere near the value of the car for your premium.

you will have to prove to the insurance companies that you are a relativly safe bet before they will be interested in your business!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Nice Car but it would not be for me. What about trying to get an insurance quote on the clone... opel speedster?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

whippet wrote: »
    you are 22 on a provisional license and are looking to get insured on a Lotus Elise, you are comparing the 1.8L elise to a 2.0L focus. Either you have no concept of power to weight ratio or are dreaming.

no insurance company in their right mind will quote you anything reasonable on this car .. even if you do force a quote you will be looking at paying somewhere near the value of the car for your premium.

you will have to prove to the insurance companies that you are a relativly safe bet before they will be interested in your business!!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

are you serious?? you think a 2litre focus comes anywhere near comparison to a 1.8 lotus elise? engine size doesn't mean anything when it comes to power output

Thanks in advance

either use the refusal route, i only needed 2 refusals though not 5 as someone else stated or ask to speak to supervisors/managers when you ring the insurance companies. by the way the only way a company has to quote you by law is through the refusals route they are NOT obliged to quote you just because you have an existing policy with them

shame I didnt call quinn a week ago then , I was insured with them , but canceled it on friday until I get my full license . I know the car is very powerful , but I figured the insurance company would go more on the price of the car than the type , as I said its only worth 11 grand, ( which isnt much compared to the price of some cars.)

Still tho , if I do get a quote it WILL prob be for something like 9000 anyway. still worth a try tho.

For the record I'm not comparing a lotus to a focus , (knew I'd get it for putting that up) thats just what the person in quinn told me when I asked for a quote.

• Advertisement

I figured the insurance company would go more on the price of the car than the type , as I said its only worth 11 grand, ( which isnt much compared to the price of some cars.)

That is not really how it works - it is the risk involved. At the end of the day if you have an accident, it is not just your 11 grand car that needs replacing - there is far more involved, plus the risk of having an accident in that car is considered far greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

shame I didnt call quinn a week ago then , I was insured with them , but canceled it on friday until I get my full license . I know the car is very powerful , but I figured the insurance company would go more on the price of the car than the type , as I said its only worth 11 grand, ( which isnt much compared to the price of some cars.)

Still tho , if I do get a quote it WILL prob be for something like 9000 anyway. still worth a try tho.

The price of your car isn't the big issue here. One can be driving a €500 rust bucket and still cost the insurance company a hundred grand in a bad crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

1 - you're 22
    2 - provisional license
    3 - elise is a convertible sports car

Only option is go to xs direct or 123.ie but be warned, I'm 27, full license for years, currently insured on a 3ltr car pushing out about 260bhp and I got quoted 1,900 for an S2 elise a few months ago!

Be prepared to pay a lot...

steve06 wrote: »
    1 - you're 22
    2 - provisional license
    3 - elise is a convertible sports car

Only option is go to xs direct or 123.ie but be warned, I'm 27, full license for years, currently insured on a 3ltr car pushing out about 260bhp and I got quoted 1,900 for an S2 elise a few months ago!

Be prepared to pay a lot...

well I was paying 2,200 for a 1.5 mx3 on prov , fully comp. but I was asking for a quote with a full licence , so I figured maybe 3000 but thought it would be worth it. I have a company calling back soon , so I'll post my prob very long but hopefully not qoute soon

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

as mentioned above, try a quote on a speedster. its 2.2 but there are less about and seem to be more insurance friendly

walshy123 wrote: »
    as mentioned above, try a quote on a speedster. its 2.2 but there are less about and seem to be more insurance friendly

just called quinn about that, they wont quote me till I have my full lecense in my hand, but the cheapest one I seen on carzone is 10 grand more than the lotus anyway , so I couldnt afford it either way, at least I know they will give me a quote when I can drive again.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

just called quinn about that, they wont quote me till I have my full lecense in my hand, but the cheapest one I seen on carzone is 10 grand more than the lotus anyway , so I couldnt afford it either way, at least I know they will give me a quote when I can drive again.

thanks

there is a 6k elise??? :)

got a quote today , . . . . €2,833. with a €4,000. excess . so I'm thinking about getting one , but not sure yet , and need the pink license first anyway. That quote was fully comp including windscreen cover with a full license by the way. Also he said it was the biggest quote he'd ever given , but I told him id only had a full license 1 month , had no , no claims bonus, and no named driving experience either.

so if youve even been driving more than a year the quote for one should be alot less

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

got a quote today , . . . . €2,833. with a €4,000. excess . so I'm thinking about getting one , but not sure yet , and need the pink license first anyway. That quote was fully comp including windscreen cover with a full license by the way. Also he said it was the biggest quote he'd ever given , but I told him id only had a full license 1 month , had no , no claims bonus, and no named driving experience either.

so if youve even been driving more than a year the quote for one should be alot less

thats a very good quote, who is it with by the way.

Ouch - that is serious wedge - that would pay my insurance for nearly 6 years :eek:

Is it really worth it to drive the Elise now? The guts of 3 grand a year for insurance alone, plus another 4g's out of pocket if you have an accident.

Why not consider something that is still fun and sporty, but less pricey insurance wise - build up a NCB and you driving skills and then work up to an Elise. Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Elise might "only" be a 1.8 but it has a 189bhp engine which is similar to engines upto the 3 litre category on bhp, this coupled with the fact that it weighs very little make it a car insurance companies don't want to touch. If I was you I would wait until you are 25. There's a few other cars using the same Yamaha engine but none would have the same power to weight ratio as the Elise.

chris85 wrote: »
    thats a very good quote, who is it with by the way.

Not sure if I'm allowed give the name of the company ?

Its not that bad tho considering I'm paying 2,200 a year for my mx3 , so its not bad at all , well . . . . apart from the excess, 4000 is a bit steep. but they guy was very helpful on the phone and even said if that was too much then he could get me a quote for a different (cheaper to insure)"exotic" car and could direct me to where to get one (I'm sure he prob has a deal with a guy that sells them or something so they recommend each other)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The early Elise's (like the one posted above) used the Rover K-Series engine, which are known to have an appetite for head gaskets.

On the insurance question, try www.bestquote.ie I'm with them and they are far cheap than everyone else, even Quinn!

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The Elise might "only" be a 1.8 but it has a 189bhp engine which is similar to engines upto the 3 litre category on bhp, this coupled with the fact that it weighs very little make it a car insurance companies don't want to touch. If I was you I would wait until you are 25. There's a few other cars using the same Yamaha engine but none would have the same power to weight ratio as the Elise.
    the K series engine is 125bhp - or you can get the sport 135 version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

4k excess is abit scarey....You know I might avoid an excess like that.
    If you do go for this car make sure you understand fully what an excess is.
    :rolleyes:

They will be after you for it like sharks if you have a crash,, You wanna kinda make sure you have 4k lying about just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

+1 for bestquote.ie. Beat onedirect who I was with for 4 years by 600 euro and quinn by 200.

gpf101 wrote: »
    +1 for bestquote.ie. Beat onedirect who I was with for 4 years by 600 euro and quinn by 200.

bestquote.ie couldnt find anything, ( on the internet search at least )
    I have to ring them .

bestquote just gave me a quote on my existing car and it's over €100 more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Your buying an Elise, paying a savage whack on insurance for the privilege, have a 4k excess, very little driving experience and on top of that ther speed limit on irish roads is 120 kp/h max.

Then you have Tax, Servicing, Parking and Fuel Costs.

I'd say wait a few years and built up a no claim bonus rather than risk a 4k payout in the event of a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

bwardrop wrote: »
    Ouch - that is serious wedge - that would pay my insurance for nearly 6 years :eek:

Is it really worth it to drive the Elise now? The guts of 3 grand a year for insurance alone, plus another 4g's out of pocket if you have an accident.

Why not consider something that is still fun and sporty, but less pricey insurance wise - build up a NCB and you driving skills and then work up to an Elise. Just a thought...

its defo worth it i pay 1700 on an 130bhp audi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a full licence and 2 years NCB (6 PP though which doesnt hlp)

Advertisement