Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband - Need Wireless router.

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

HI there.

I just got BT 1MB, on a wired connection.

I would like to get a wireless router, G , cheap and cheerfull

Please give me a option or 2.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Ring BT and order a wireless router off them, its a BT Voyager 2110 and only €45... pretty cheap and cheerful.

Also, they're giving out free routers at the moment... try swing them around by saying you wanted a wireless one and say you got a cable Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Thanks, just did that, and they are posting me there one, free, said i will get it in 2 days

sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Lovely stuff. The setup is pretty comprehensive but if you need help, just ask away.

PS: The wireless key is on the pink sticker underneath the router itself - ya can't miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ehh..in my experience the 2110 voyager is crap.

If you have a wired conn anyway, spend the cash and buy a proper wifi router like a linksys one or summet.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

When you get the wireless router from BT are you actually buying one off them or are you just renting it ?

I'm buying a laptop off Dell at the moment and I'm looking to upgrade my BT fixed line to wireless too.

On the Dell site there's an option of getting a
    "Belkin 802.11g ADSL Wireless Router with Built in Modem (€ 38.99)"
    or a
    "Belkin 802.11g ADSL Wireless Router with Built in Modem - UK/Irl (€ 47.90)"
    or a
    "D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Mini Adapter (€ 37.02)"
    or a
    "Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter "(€ 31.46)"

Confusingly, the first option is available on studio laptops but not inspirons, why should it make a difference ? I really don't know enough about the different types, would they all be compatible with my BT broadband ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

WaterWolf wrote: »
    When you get the wireless router from BT are you actually buying one off them or are you just renting it ?

I'm buying a laptop off Dell at the moment and I'm looking to upgrade my BT fixed line to wireless too.

On the Dell site there's an option of getting a
    "Belkin 802.11g ADSL Wireless Router with Built in Modem (€ 38.99)"
    or a
    "Belkin 802.11g ADSL Wireless Router with Built in Modem - UK/Irl (€ 47.90)"
    or a
    "D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Mini Adapter (€ 37.02)"
    or a
    "Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter "(€ 31.46)"

Confusingly, the first option is available on studio laptops but not inspirons, why should it make a difference ? I really don't know enough about the different types, would they all be compatible with my BT broadband ?

Belkin tend to have a very bad reputation with boards users. Check BT terms and condtions and that should clarfiy ownership of router or just ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Okay, BT got back to me today. You own the modem you get from them.

Advertisement