Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Off Photo Kiosks

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily a consumer issue - more like a rant.

I know photo kiosks are already a rip off (compared to getting it done online) but I came across a real case of profiteering over the weekend.

Normally these things are 20c-25c per picture. You put in your SD/XD/MMC card into the machine, select the pictures you want, hit a button and print them out. I've never seen them sell for more than 25c per picture.

I have a new niece (born Friday night) and wanted to get some pics printed for the different groups of family members who were around to celebrate the new addition to the family -- about 10 photos, 5 of each.

The pharmacy across from the hospital in Galway have the gall to charge 50c per picture (standard 6x4) - no way in hell was I paying them €25 for some pictures. I believe they were priced that way to capitalise on proud fathers (or uncles!) who want new pictures printed at any cost.

After I inquired if the price was correct, being told that it was, I told them that it was far too expensive.

I voted with my feet and went elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that's almost as bad as the people selling €3 bunches of flowers outside graveyards on cemetry sunday but charging €10-15 for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If people pay it then I say fair ****s to the shops that charge it, if people are smart their go else-where or just use on-line services like photobox were you can get a print for 7c each :D

Basically lazyiness will cost you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a difference between laziness and speed!
    People will pay 50c per shot to get photos they can take home with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its all down to "NOW" people will pay anything for having something "NOW", same goes for wanting a bottle of coke at a filling station or buying flowers at a cemetery. You simply pay for this privilage.

These photo booths are situated in premium retail rental spots such as on the high Steet, shopping malls, airports etc and command ludicrous rents from landlords. Postal developers can operate from any location and be situated in anywhere out in the country where rents/rates are cheap.

If you want cheap photos developed buy a printer and do it yourself or wait a week and get them developed through mail order. Absolutely NO excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

foggy_lad wrote: »
    that's almost as bad as the people selling €3 bunches of flowers outside graveyards on cemetry sunday but charging €10-15 for them.

+1 on that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Cabaal wrote: »
    If people pay it then I say fair ****s to the shops that charge it, if people are smart their go else-where or just use on-line services like photobox were you can get a print for 7c each :D

Basically lazyiness will cost you :)

7c iff 500+ prints at a time
    http://www.photobox.ie/static/standard_prints.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You simply pay for this privilage.
    Exactly, a pharmacy would not be the first place I would go to get photos done, I would expect them to charge very highly due to a low turnover. They will screw you for the likes of glucose too, go to the supermarket. Simple common sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ircoha wrote: »

Its still correct none the less, sure pay the standard 12c or whatever it is instead, its still cheaper then the 20c+ most shops charge :)

Advertisement