Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own Oat/Almond/Soya/Quinoa Milk

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

So! I was wondering if anyone here has been making their own milk at all?

I'm not a fan of soya milk and have been drinking oat milk for the last two years now. Only problem is that it's pretty pricey (around €2.80 a carton). A while back I googled possible oat milk recipes and have tested out a few. It's not as tastey as the stuff you buy, but perfect to use in cooking.

1 cup processed oats, 2 cups water, pinch of salt + tbsp sunflower oil.
    Soak overnight. Strain using a sieve (or cheese cloth if you are patient).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

http://www.lukecummo.com/

Check out the bottom video on that page. I never tried the recipe myself, despite buying the bags for it haha, but it could be worth a go. The guy in the video seems fairly enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Watched it. Interesting enough. I've heard about just blending up nuts before, but always thought it sounded a little like it wouldn't work. Coconut fat looks interesting too... I shall have to experiment! Never heard of "Irish Sea Moss" and I don't think I'll bother looking ;)
    Also, using a bag instead of loose cloth is a great idea.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Never heard of "Irish Sea Moss"

It is a seaweed and available from here

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Ah, is that the stuff Guinness should be using!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Ah, is that the stuff Guinness should be using!?

They probably do, with Irish moss or a derivative is used in the boil, the issue was with Isinglass (swim bladder of sturgeon) which is used after fermentation

Sorry for going off topic :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Interesting indeed!

Advertisement