Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be fair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imom922

I have two mastiffs they are knackered by the time i get home from work evrey day playin with each other. However i took nearly 6weeks off at the start to lay down the law who is boss and all that. Being without human contact all day is not ideal for a puppy as seen as you want to mould them to your way of thinking. Pack mentality sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

I can completely empathise with you Lynners. My folks moved over to Spain a few years ago to retire and we all decided that the best thing was for my dog to go with them (she's batty about my dad and I think it wouldn've broken both they're hearts for her to stay in Ireland!). It has however left me completely dogless :( and I miss having a dog around so much.

I work all day aswell and I have a long commute to Dublin for work. I decided not to get a dog because aside from the hours I work, at the moment there'd easily be a day or two each week that I don't always go straight home from Dublin and it wouldn't always be something I could avoid.

I can understand both sides of the argument, I am very much torn between the two. I'm sure there are plenty here who'd disagree with me but I think that if you are committed to how much of your currently 'free time' you'll have to dedicate to your dogs to keep them happy and well trained then it could work out ok. The fact that you'll be getting two helps an awful lot.

It's obviously your choice, but seeing as how you're looking for advice.. I wouldn't recommend puppies! They really do benefit more from a lot of owner time.

What ever you decide to do I hope it all works out for you :) Its a good start that you're at least looking for advice about the whole thing. There are plenty of dog owners out there who are at home all day but thier dogs are still neglected or left to wander the streets. Best of luck!

Advertisement