Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a network for a small office?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to setup a network for a small office. This is for a startup business so costs are critical. I have acquired some Pentium4 Pcs running XP with 0.5 GB RAM.

I want to network these PCs. Can anyone offer me a few pointers and recommend a nice cheap router to get going?

I'll also be going with a 1 GB or 2GB broadband connection so I'll need all PCs having access to t'internet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think you mean 1Mb or 2Mb broadband...

If costs are at a premium, you can use the router which comes with your broadband package, most DSL ISP's provide a decent enough router, which are usually 4 port.

Non DSL broadband, will probably require a seperate router.

If your requirements are more than 4 devices, I'd recommend picking up a low cost 8/16/24 port switch

Network settings can be set by the router, including IP address range / dns / security etc.

As it's a SOHO setup, you probably don't need a domain controller, but I would recommend a file server, for central storing of files and backup. Someone else might be able to recommend something (it's been a while since I was an IT Manager...).

I'm sure there's cheap NAS setups available now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Thanks. Sorry a typo on the BB rates :o

Can the switch be just connected straight into an Eircom router?

Sorry for the stoopid questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yes, it can.

It might be worth asking a friend/someone in the know to help you set it up.

But in theory, it's all straight forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

tbh I would strongly reccomend you buying even an entry level firewall as it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Something like a sonicwall Tz150 or tz170 can be bought for between 200-400 euro and will pay for themselves over a small period of time, especially if employees have unrestricted internet access. These routers can also be used to enforce the latest antivius and antispyware on all pc's aswell as monitoring and restricting internet access, and setting up these features takes little time and is very straight forward. Another tip I would give you is to build one pc to the end user spec, office, applications, Anti virus etc, then clone it using ghost or something similar to all the other machines and then keep a copy of this image in case any of the pc's crash in the future.

Great tips thanks. Keep them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Agree on the firewall as you'd potentially be liable for illegal downloads etc. Suggest you get a lockable data cabinet and UPS.

I'm actually selling a surplus 24-port Gigabit rackmountable switch which I got as part of a bundle, it's brand new and unused:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=62157&cat=all

You'll still need a router to act as the DHCP server, you can use the one you get from your DSL provider.

Thanks
    SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Agree on the firewall as you'd potentially be liable for illegal downloads etc. Suggest you get a lockable data cabinet and UPS.

I'm actually selling a surplus 24-port Gigabit rackmountable switch which I got as part of a bundle, it's brand new and unused:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=62157&cat=all

You'll still need a router to act as the DHCP server, you can use the one you get from your DSL provider.

Thanks
    SSE

No you're not anymore, its mine all mine I tells ya! :D

OP where are you based, could lend you an hand if you were nearby.

Recommend at the very least a NAS server for central storage, their is always clarkconnect (google it) to use as a DHCP and DNS plus local intranet e-mail and much more.

MC

Thanks to all who gave advice.

@MunsterCycling. Thanks for the offer. One of my work buddies has been drafted in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Google apps is a fantastic (& cheap as you only need to pay for your domain name & it's DNS hosting-the email service is free) email/calendering/office apps platform:

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

Darragh

Advertisement