Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Speed Camera Positions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Saying that they have 'all of Ireland's mobile and fixed speed trap positions' is complete nonsense - how can you have 'all of' the mobile speed traps in the country when by definition they can spring up anywhere?

I drove down to Wexford last Friday and saw three Gardai doing a turkey shoot on the Gorey bypass - a dual carriageway with a hard shoulder and a three foot high concrete continuous barrier down the middle yet these three cops were enforcing a ludicrous 100 kph speed limit - I didn't see them listed on that website which has only two speed traps on the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

dont shoot the messenger!! Just thaught it would be helpful to a few people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ok, fair point but it's just gets my goat when I see people peddling the notion that loading the location of mobile speed traps scattered all over the country has some usefulness - all it will do is beep at you all the way from Dublin and Cork and eventually you'll just disable the setting because according to the unit there's be a speed check lurking at every farm gate around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

These have been around for a while...

In regards to mobile speed traps, not as ridiculous as you might think... Well known fact Garda have their favourite spots. Enough people report this spot and it goes on as a potential mobile speed trap.

Also not sure if this one shows it or not, but another one use to show all the Garda laybys at the side of the road i.e the blue sign at the side of a motorway/dual carraigeway saying "Garda Only"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

yeah this one shows all the garda layby points on the motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thieving gypsies just take other people's data (like mine) and re-represent it as their own. Not that I mind too much, as I will give my list of Garda (or any other) POIs to anyone who wants it (they're just text files, with co-ordinates), However, their claims that they include:
    • 'Verified and updated POI files only'
    • 'The most updated POI files and GPS data collections'
    is a load of horse manure. They are based in Australia, and using other people's data, so these claims are no legitimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the mobile camera issue, I don't bother to collect this information, as per CoyleMJs comments, these are not 'documentable'. Sure there are regular locations, but there are random locations too. And for every regular location, there will be no Garda presence for 98% of the time.

The POIs I have documented serve as a reminder that I should check my speed to ensure I have no crept over the speed limit. You cannot depend on a GPS receiver as a unit to allow you to speed without restraint, only slowing down when alerted by the GPS receiver. The POI alerts are annoying enough, without having one every 2/3 minutes on a longer trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

i've seen those list of points. Some of them has been listed several times.
    the fixed ones are accurate enough but surely not up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jonny2shoes

The fixed cameras are well out of date the one on the m50 is gone the last 2 years as to is the 1 at lissenhall.

Advertisement