Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm in my Tesco Value Tune

Options
  • 21-07-2008 4:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So I opened a can of Tesco Value tuna, the one for 59 cent.

I found what is unmistakeably a dead worm.

What should I do here, can I expect a payoff from Tesco, and if so, how might I go about it?

Probably not a good idea just bringing it to Customer service.

Or should I just **** it in the bin? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Picture or it didn't happen !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well it didn't cause you any harm or cost you any money so it would be unethical to go looking for compensation, but you're more than entitled to a replacment or a refund. They may even make a goodwill gesture and send you vouchers or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It coould have been worse, imagine if you found just 1/2 a worm in your Tesco Value Tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jayteecork wrote: »
    What should I do here, can I expect a payoff from Tesco, and if so, how might I go about it?

Bring it back to the shop, they'll refund your 59c or give you a replacement.
    Probably not a good idea just bringing it to Customer service.
    I would say it would be best to bring it to customer service, that's what they're there for.
    Or should I just **** it in the bin? Is it worth the hassle?

That's probably what I would do. The easiest route, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

i found a snail in my frozen veg and complained, got €60 good will in vouchers!! so i would complain, when ya buy veg or tuna ya shouldnt be getting other things in it! its horrible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Definately send it back. Thats so disgusting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sean_K wrote: »
    Well it didn't cause you any harm or cost you any money so it would be unethical to go looking for compensation, but you're more than entitled to a replacment or a refund. They may even make a goodwill gesture and send you vouchers or something.

Come on. I think finding a dead animal in your tuna is cause for more than getting a refund.

Sorry about the quality, my camera is s hite. Had to go into the garden to get a shot in natural light, flash was making it unviewable.
    m_IMAG0092.jpg

m_IMAG0093.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Come on. I think finding a dead animal in your tuna is cause for more than getting a refund.

Tesco may well give you more than just a refund but it would still be unethical to go demanding compensation unless the incident has damaged you or left you out of pocket.

It's unfair if you ask me...I never get a free worm just the tuna on its own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sorry about the quality, my camera is s hite. Had to go into the garden to get a shot in natural light, flash was making it unviewable.

Ask Tesco to swap the worm for a decent camera. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok that's a big worm. I know some fish do have worms in them but I'm not sure is Tuna one.

Got a worm in cod before but it was much thinner.

either way I'd be complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

got a small shard of glass approx 1mm long in the breading on a chicken burger recently, would possibly have done some damage if eaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All fish can carry parasites, so... your tuna was one of them. No harm done, its a natural thing, its impossible to find and remove them all, you didn't eat the tuna (not that it would have been harmful anyway) so why would you deserve more than the replacement cost of the tin? Or do you think you should be compensated for the shock, horror, of finding a worm?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

nice grass, bit off topic, but do you feed it or just leave it be to grow.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

And how did ya think the fisherman caught the tuna in the first place if he didnt use a worm.:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Protein is Protein!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

$300,000 fly in a water bottle

look what he was claiming,, but then again it is in Canada :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Contact the tabloids immediatly, they love this type of stuff and might even give you a few bob for the story:)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article296174.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Get some decent pics. Keep the till receipt if you still have it. Write a letter to the food safety authority asking what your next step should be and CC Tesco Ireland customer service.

Don't let them worm their way out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

davton wrote: »
    but then again it is in America :rolleyes:

Canada, not America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jor el wrote: »
    Canada, not America.

very sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

maybe it has damaged the OP to the point where he/she will never eat Tuna again. Unless it states on the tin "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF WORM" i think you should be entitled to more than a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leptonite

Hi
    Worms in fish is a bit of a blurred area.

My partner wanted to cook all fresh and natural foods for our little baby so was buying fresh cod from tesco.

One day she opened the fresh cod and my god was it fresh - there was a long thin live worm poking out of it.

I contacted Tesco and they told me that its a Cod worm - well doah - its a worm in a cod.

Yes there are actual cod worms and they are parasites that they try to eliminate/catch with lights - ie shine a light in the fish and you should see the worm.

Tesco basically told me its a risk when you buy Cod but to reasure me they told me that "they're perfectly harmless".

A FECKEN SLICE OF DONKEYS ANUS IN MY COOKED HAM IS ALSO HARMLESS BUT I STILL DONT WANT IT.

sorry, still bit anoyed with Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tuna is well known for carrying parasites, as is swordfish. All fish do to some degree.

However though, there is a reasonable expectation that all such parasites should have been detected through the cooking and canning process.

Therefore, you are entitled to complain to Tesco. I am sure that they will make some gesture to compensate you for the shock of finding a worm in your tin of tuna. That would upset even the hardiest of folk, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

leptonite wrote: »
    Hi
    Worms in fish is a bit of a blurred area.

My partner wanted to cook all fresh and natural foods for our little baby so was buying fresh cod from tesco.

One day she opened the fresh cod and my god was it fresh - there was a long thin live worm poking out of it.

I contacted Tesco and they told me that its a Cod worm - well doah - its a worm in a cod.

Yes there are actual cod worms and they are parasites that they try to eliminate/catch with lights - ie shine a light in the fish and you should see the worm.

Tesco basically told me its a risk when you buy Cod but to reasure me they told me that "they're perfectly harmless".

A FECKEN SLICE OF DONKEYS ANUS IN MY COOKED HAM IS ALSO HARMLESS BUT I STILL DONT WANT IT.

sorry, still bit anoyed with Tesco.
    Its impossible to ensure 100% that no worms are in the cod. It is hard to see them in thick fillets or fish with skin on. Insects etc are always the risk with fresh, natural foods that don't use chemical to kill the parasites.
    http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2006/10/questions-about-cod-worms.html
    http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2006/09/parasites-in-fish-part-1-cod-worm.html

OP: I would say make a complaint to tesco to let them know. I'm sure they would contact the supplier who would look into their QA systems.

From here: http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2006/10/questions-about-cod-worms.html
    Q: I found a worm in tuna at a sushi restaurant. What do I do?
    A: What you probably found wasn’t a worm, but rather a strand of fat or sinuous tissue. Worms in large tuna (such as yellowfin, bluefin, and big-eye) are exceedingly rare. Even if what you found was really a worm, don’t worry. All restaurants in the U.S. are required to freeze fish before it is served raw. The freezing process will kill any worms that aren’t removed via inspection. However, if that “strand of fat” was really moving and wriggling on its own, then it’s not a strand of fat---it’s a live worm. One possibility is that the sushi restaurant served you a small tuna (such as Bonito), which is susceptible to worms. Most fresh fish sold as “tuna” is large tuna. As an extra precaution, you can ask your fishmonger or sushi restaurant the tuna species. If it’s yellowfin/ahi, bluefin or big-eye, then you shouldn’t need to worry about worms/parasites.
    Not sure if this applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

leptonite wrote: »
    still bit anoyed with Tesco.

Why, they didn't put it there. It's a natural occurance whereas donkey anus in ham isn't although you may find it in cheaper cuts.
    You can't expect their supplier to rifle through every piece of fish they supply to various retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you insane?? Don't let tesco away with this - contact the Health and Safety authority immediately.

Tesco get away with far too much. Personally i've found a foreign object in one of their value ranges before, and on several occasions seen food on shelves that is SERIOUSLY past its use by date..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

jor el wrote: »
    Canada, not America.

Canada is in America isn't it? North America to be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

A friend of mine found a bolt and washer in a frozen pizza he bought a good while back. Was actually sticking into the base of the frozen pizza, was crazy to see.

But anyway, we were in college at the time and he immediately saw the pound signs and thought he was going to clean up from it. Long story short they were all apologetic and wanted him to send it back to them so they could see it, see how it might have happened and deal with it. But he turned into a bit of a dick about it and refused to send the actual pizza in and sent them pictures instead (in case they destroyed the evidence and ruined his court case - seriously what he was thinking!!).

In the end they sent him out a money order to the value of the pizza and an apology!! So funny.

But I know other people that have sent stuff back for various reasons (hairs in sweets, crisp packet sealed but empty, etc.) and got hampers back as a kind of good will gesture and apology as another poster already said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

eth0_ wrote: »
    Are you insane?? Don't let tesco away with this - contact the Health and Safety authority immediately.

Tesco get away with far too much. Personally i've found a foreign object in one of their value ranges before, and on several occasions seen food on shelves that is SERIOUSLY past its use by date..

Are you insane ??
    It came in a sealed tin from whatever manufacturer they use, it wasn't as a result from their negligence that led to cross examination. It will simple be passed back to the manufacture who will reimburse either the cost of the tin or whatever Tesco decide to do.

Seriously, the amount of igonrance and Euro signs that flash in peoples eyes on this board is unreal.

Advertisement