Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm in my Tesco Value Tune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I suggest you first contact the supplier and suggest to them you are intending to contact tescos..
    Worms in fish are very common.. dont be greedy ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

podge018 wrote: »
    Canada is in America isn't it? North America to be precise.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

OP here, it's gone in the bin.
    F uck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jayteecork wrote: »
    F uck it.

Are you allowed to recycle worms? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

F uck it.

Good attitude. And by posting here you've probably put a few more people off buying Tesco Value Tuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jip wrote: »
    Are you insane ??
    It came in a sealed tin from whatever manufacturer they use, it wasn't as a result from their negligence that led to cross examination. It will simple be passed back to the manufacture who will reimburse either the cost of the tin or whatever Tesco decide to do.

Seriously, the amount of igonrance and Euro signs that flash in peoples eyes on this board is unreal.

I'm sorry - could you point out where i mentioned looking for compensation? I said the OP should contact the health and safety authority and let them look into it. Tesco have far too many incidences of this sort of thing. They clearly cut corners with the manufacturers they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

F uck it.
    That will stink, when is your bin day :eek:

You should have hid it discretly behind one of the shelves in Tesco where you bought it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm sorry - could you point out where i mentioned looking for compensation?

And I'm sorry too, can you point out where I mentioned that you mentioned looking for compensation ? Reread my post, it said "the amout of people", not "eth0". You're only the centre of your own universe.

And it shows how little you know of both retail and the manufacturing process. Tesco would share manufacturers with alot of other retailers and named brand companies. There's very little you can do about something that naturally occurs. Go down to Howth and purchase a piece of fish straight fresh out of the water and you're as likely to get a worm in it as you are from a can.

And again your ignorance of the whole retail/manfacturing area comes through, you've repeatedly said he should the contact the Health and Safety Authority. Why, did the can fall off a high shelf onto his head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

So I opened a can of Tesco Value tuna, the one for 59 cent.

I found what is unmistakeably a dead worm.

What should I do here, can I expect a payoff from Tesco, and if so, how might I go about it?

Probably not a good idea just bringing it to Customer service.

Or should I just **** it in the bin? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks.

I just bought my wife 3 cans of this yesterday... She ate one of the cans today. Perhaps I should send her this thread... hahah she would hate me!! Next time I'll give the value line a miss. Every little helps until you end up getting food poisoning!

x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Xcellor wrote: »
    I just bought my wife 3 cans of this yesterday... She ate one of the cans today. Perhaps I should send her this thread... hahah she would hate me!! Next time I'll give the value line a miss. Every little helps until you end up getting food poisoning!

x

It's tinned food, you're almost certainly not going to get food poisoning unless the can is damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

This what I thought of the minute i saw this thread

Perhaps you dropped it in the tuna?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Worm in tuna!!!...thats a strange one alright.
    Like i mentioned on another thread...Tesco has some of the most stringent manufacturing codes of practice Iv ever come across.

Think about this for a minute..tesco have put THEIR name to the said product...not the manufactuers,so its in their interest to ensure every product carrying the Tesco brand name meets the highest standards in food safety and quality. Trust me on this one...TESCO will treat this very seriously indeed. Complaints like this one could lead to a site PIU audit ( the company has obviously a "blue" status)....which to you and me is an unannounced full audit.

OP..if I were you,Id try and get in contact with the technical department of tesco,explain what happened,ask for a full explanation as to how a foreign body such as a worm managed to make its way into a can of tuna,ask for results of any lab tests to see what it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I found a large piece of which I can only presume was bamboo in a can of "Picnic" tuna on Monday. It was about half the size of the tin. Threw it in the bin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I found what is unmistakeably a dead worm.

What should I do here,

Jump on a chair and scream?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tins of bamboo retail at a higher price than tuna. That's like throwing out cornflakes because you find gold dust in them.

Well, kind of like it, if you squint really hard.

Clytus wrote: »
    Worm in tuna!!!...thats a strange one alright.
    Like i mentioned on another thread...Tesco has some of the most stringent manufacturing codes of practice Iv ever come across.

If I may be so crude - They do in their hole!

I worked as a contractor for Tesco for a while about 2 years ago and I was shocked at how they just do not care. They get complaints about this sort of thing all the time.

Add to this their nazi-ish treatment of wholesalers, their determination to run farmers into poverty, and their wholehearted support of animal torture (see www.chickenout.tv) and it adds up to a company that really thinks its customers are idiots.

Just to compare: I've never found any foreign objects, or bought any food that is well past its use by date, in M&S, Aldi, Dunnes or Sainsbury's.

But I have found this on several occasions with Tesco.

Tesco = FAIL.

Now I know you're really talking out your behind Etho. If that's what you think after working as a contractor after 2 years I can only assume you were contracted to clean the toilets. You've obviously no idea of how they operate both from a technical point of view or how they choose their suppliers.
    You've conveniantly chosen to ignore every previous point I've put to you about this so I assume you can't put up a proper argument to back up your claims. As I said, a named brand product that you may think is the elite of the said products food category may well be produced by the same manufacturer that produces Tescos own brand items, or are you just going to igonre this point again ?

There's nothing personal here, if you're bored simply stop reading.

Now I know you're really talking out your behind Etho. If that's what you think after working as a contractor after 2 years I can only assume you were contracted to clean the toilets.

I don't know why i'm bothering to reply to you when you clearly have a chip on your shoulder but..

No, I was't cleaning the toilets, I was working in the head office and I heard and saw a lot of stuff that has made me avoid Tesco ever since.

It's common knowledge how tesco screw farmers and how they do not care about animal cruelty.

ALSO - I'm speaking from _personal experience_ of inferior Tesco products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I don't know why i'm bothering to reply to you when you clearly have a chip on your shoulder but..

No, I was't cleaning the toilets, I was working in the head office and I heard and saw a lot of stuff that has made me avoid Tesco ever since.

It's common knowledge how tesco screw farmers and how they do not care about animal cruelty.

ALSO - I'm speaking from _personal experience_ of inferior Tesco products.

I worked in companies head office head office and I got the Impression that their products were absolute sh*te as i knew where and how they were manufactured, the known problems etc.

And this was in a major company that everyone knows, in fact some fanboys get a h*rd on for some of the stuff.

I'd take your view on Inferior products etc with a grain of salt.

However i do agree that they destroy local business, but more retailers than Tesco are guilty of supporting battery farming.

craichoe wrote: »
    However i do agree that they destroy local business, but more retailers than Tesco are guilty of supporting battery farming.

Agreed but tesco are by far the worst offender and at least the other supermarkets found to use battery farms agreed to improve animal welfare.

Tesco flat out refused. They even charged the chickenout.tv people £88,000 for the cost of adding a one page document to the yearly report they were already sending to all their shareholders.

Agreed but tesco are by far the worst offender and at least the other supermarkets found to use battery farms agreed to improve animal welfare.

If you're so knowledgeable in this area, tell us all where Dunnes get the chicken they use in their hot food bars ?

I think the only one with a chip on their shoulders around here is yours against Tesco. Can't imagine why you think I'd have one or against whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Now I know you're really talking out your behind Etho. If that's what you think after working as a contractor after 2 years I can only assume you were contracted to clean the toilets. You've obviously no idea of how they operate both from a technical point of view or how they choose their suppliers.
    You've conveniantly chosen to ignore every previous point I've put to you about this so I assume you can't put up a proper argument to back up your claims. As I said, a named brand product that you may think is the elite of the said products food category may well be produced by the same manufacturer that produces Tescos own brand items, or are you just going to igonre this point again ?

JIP infracted for being consistently rude. Please try and learn how to discuss in a manner that means you are not insulting other members.

I don't mind the 'infraction' as long as Etho got one for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyway, I've got a solution to the OP's problem.

1. Put the worm on a hook and line.
    2. Go to the sea
    3. drop hook into the sea
    4. Wait until line tugs
    5. Reel in Tuna Fish

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I don't mind the 'infraction' as long as Etho got one for the same reason.

I didn't think his posts were as rude as yours tbh, he was being baited by you. Although feel free to show me otherwise.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Anyway, I've got a solution to the OP's problem.

1. Put the worm on a hook and line.
    2. Go to the sea
    3. drop hook into the sea
    4. Wait until line tugs
    5. Reel in Tuna Fish

Problem solved.

I'm out at sea now.

Thank heavens for mobile broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I opened a can of john west salmon before and it was crawling with loads of tiny little worms/nematodes.

Put me straight of tinned fish for life! Just pointing out that its not confined to Tesco Value.

The worms are naturally occuring in fish, but really should be caught out in the cooking/tinning process so makes ya wonder.

Had a friend who worked in marketing and would go to factories that produced food to discuss them making food for his product line. Anyway, he visited many factories/production lines and said that no matter where he went, you would be put off eating whatever food was being made at the factory.

• Advertisement

Tinned Tuna is hit-or-miss at the very best of times anyway, I don't know why the f uck I even buy it - I don't particularly like the taste of it.
    I think it's because of the protein content and the belief that all fish is healthy, whether or not Tesco tinned value tuna contains Omega 3, 6, 9 and all those fish oils, I don't know.

I once bought some tinned "picnic" tuna and the tuna chunks had literally dissolved into the brine creating a "tuna paste".
    Was as rank as it sounds.

Advertisement